The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DH usually drives the Freightliner but he recently taught me how to drive it. He has a CDL. Apparently many people drive them without the CDL. We are under 26,000 lbs. we do not go thought the weigh stations either because we are a recreational use vehicle and not for hire. I'm getting my CDL this winter just to be on the safe side as we don't know all the rules for all the states.

Our truck has a back seat, a fridge and a microwave inside the cab and we bought it used, with 30,000 miles, it cost about 1/2 the cost of a new 350/3500 dually.

The fuel expenses driving it are slightly higher than the dodge we previously used for hauling. The advantage is that we have fuel tanks that hold fuel that gives us a range of about 1000 miles- so, if we find diesel in NJ for $3.65/gal we can fill up and avoid fuel costs in the more expensive states.

We have had few repair costs...much better than the duallys that we previously used as the truck has air brakes and a Cat engine. I think we must have consistently been overloaded with out old set up. We have saved a significant amount in repair costs.

Last year we did well over 20 k miles of hauling to endurance rides and it really was nice knowing that we had ample power and brakes especially in hilly states like Vermont.

I would highly recommend a 2008-2010 F-450. Those are the last years that truck came with the 19.5" wheels and big brakes. The 4.30 rear end was available on the late 08 builds and newer.

If the F450 has the re-gen exhaust system, you could not give me one.

I pulled the 6h head to head with 7 horses on most trips easily with my 01 F350 dually. Pulled from the NE to S. Florida quite a few times.

I now have a 4h slant load with a massive dressing room that pulls very well with my 93 F350. I have not really taken it anywhere too hilly, but it should be an easy haul.

The new fords are sh*t. They dump fuel like a mofo. Piece. Huge piece. They are even worse than the 6.0s IMO and that is saying something. I have 3 trucks with the 7.3, which I love, but with the new crap ford has come out with, I will never buy a diesel ford truck again. Ever. I was stranded in MEBF after the engine blew on my 04 F350 with 20k miles on it. Replaced it with my current 7.3 which runs like a healthy mule.

I am itching for a Freightliner after test driving one of my friends who use it to haul his toy hauler. It was a dreamboat. But all my towing trucks are running well *knock wood* so it will be down the lline.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

'04 is not new.

That was the awful 6.0 series.

I have a 2012 F350 and it is a great truck.

Engine manufactured by Ford.

I have put 23000 miles on it in 9 months. Last time I looked at the computer it said that I had over 12,000 pulling a 4H head to head.

Last check, 19.5 MPG not pulling a trailer...75 MPH for about 80 miles or so, about 30 miles of it in mountains and the rest tolling piedmont hills at 55 to 65.

13 MPG pulling the trailer.

It suits me.

Quote Originally Posted by cssutton View Post
    '04 is not new.

That was the awful 6.0 series.

I have a 2012 F350 and it is a great truck.

Engine manufactured by Ford.

I have put 23000 miles on it in 9 months. Last time I looked at the computer it said that I had over 12,000 pulling a 4H head to head.

Last check, 19.5 MPG not pulling a trailer...75 MPH for about 80 miles or so, about 30 miles of it in mountains and the rest tolling piedmont hills at 55 to 65.

13 MPG pulling the trailer.

It suits me.
    Yes, obviously 04 is not new. I bought it in late 05, sold it quite quickly after. The 6.0 engine was s*** and dealers can't get rid of them. Wonder why? (sarcasm)

Trainer and another woman at the barn bought new fords (10,12) and are not fans. The exhaust is bogus and they cannot wait till the warrenty is up to rip it out and replace it. Can't blame them, it turned me off to it when considering a new Ford truck. They are also a pain to work on.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I have a 4-horse aluminum trailer and pull it with a 2006 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton (with a chip) and have plenty of power and plenty of braking action to stop it. My trainer has a steel 6 horse trailer and pulls it with a 2008 Chevy Duramax 1 ton and again it has no issues pulling/stopping it even fully loaded.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I've got an '08 Duramax, CC, DRW, LB, 4WD. My "operating weight" (full fuel, two people, stuff) is 7300 lbs. (per CAT Scale). That gives me up to 15,200 lbs. of towing capacity (based upon GCVWR in the Owner's Manual).

Our last four, long distance trips (12,000 miles more or less; all which were at about 13,000 lbs.) yielded mileage averaging 11 mpg. We usually cruise at 66 mph on the cruise control. About 20% of that time is spent in the mountains of East TN or headed up to VA.

We just went round trip, bobtail, to Pensacola. We ran almost 16 mpg cruising at about 70 mph. That surprised me; I didn't think we'd do so well. About 1/4 of the trip is in the mountains of TN/GA/AL.

My F350 friends with post-6.0L engines (both 6.4L and 6.7L) complain constantly of poor fuel economy. The 6.4L owners also say knowledgeable maintenance is essential to good engine health. They say the engine is "finicky." They are all still loyal Found On Road Dead guys, but wish they had better mileage.

Right now the engine-drive train with the longest "track record" of reliable performance is the Allison-Duramax. I figure I'm at the top end of a light duty truck's capability with my 4 horse Featherlight with a "weekender" LQ package. If I were to get a bigger LQ I'd have to move up to an MDT or maybe converted HDT.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

BO just got a diesal F550 & something big like 8 horse trailer, cant tell you anything about trailer as its not seen daylight yet--still in shop getting worked on. Im guessing its huge-replaced a freightliner & full size 10 horse box type trailer. They also have F350 dually & a 6 horse with DR--hauls great, so F550 should pull the barn.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I have a 2003 Duramax 3/4 ton, LB, extra cab and I can get 22 mpg empty running 70 mph. Towing I get more like 12-14 mpg pulling a 28' 4H LQ steel trailer that maxes out at about 14000 lbs loaded. Does a good job and I'll pulled that rig now maybe 20 k miles from here to Wyoming and back and all over the East coast in all kinds of weather.

We did, as I mentioned earlier, add more leaf springs to the back end to help with the weight in the bed. It was a bit to much for the 3/4 ton suspension so we basically turned it into a 1 ton and it's been fine. I've had this trailer since 2007.

I think my truck being older predates some of the emissions stuff they put on the newer Duramax truck and thus the better gas mileage. I have about 200k miles on it now and figure the engine is just now broken in. :-) I love my Duramax truck.

Freightliner M2. We pull a Featherlite 4H SL with a 13ft LQ with a slide out and a mid tack. We load it all up with horses and scooters and a whole bunch of gear for everyone. Hay goes on the truck. Fully loaded weight runs in the 34,000LB range.

The truck has air suspension but it still rides like a truck. It gets in the 9mpg range, but it isn't really broken in yet. It does stop that load like a champ which is what I love about it!

No CDL required and the only place who has ever even given it a second thought is the weigh station on hwy 81 in Nebraska. DH has a CDL and I have a learners permit, just in case.

We have been all over the US with either this truck or it's predecessor and have never had any CDL issues.

DD's truck is a 2003 Dodge 3500 4x4 dually CC. She pulls a Sooner 3H with a 10ft LQ and gets about 13mpg. She has up to this year only hauled 2 horses at a time with all the gear and hay, so it weighs in the 16K range.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Maybe you could ask Jim_in_PA to help you. (wink wink) I am sure his NEW Jeep Cherokee could pull what you need.
    Nice...I may have a different opinion relative to towing a small, lightweight 2h, but I'm not stupid. Big trailers need big trucks. And those small Frieghtliner's are really nice for the job as an alternative to the extra-heavy-duty offers from Ford, Chevy, etc.