The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need chicken 101. . . Bantams

I just took in 2 chickens that were supposed to be Australorps (sp?) and were not. They were going to be fox food as owner found them disruptive and apparently NOT that breed. They are probably a cross between Bantam and Australorp. Anyway we took them in and now my DH wants more. He actually wants Bantams, so where in Virginia can I go that is reputable?

I am also willing to order form out of state, but again where? We won't have a coop until Spring and for now the ones we have live in a stall.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

You can order chicks online. Go online and look for hatcheries. I like Ideal but they are in the same state so not a long transport for them.

Chicks do require more care but it's fun.

Check craigslist or do a search for poultry & fowl fanciers. We've done the grown bird and chick route...at this point, I prefer the grown bird route but the chicks were a blast.

We have standards and Bantams...our bantams are Seramas...they are TINY. They are easy birds and actually lay really well...we have people who request their eggs during the summer to make deviled egg poppers! funny. We have 5 and they are all sweet birds but only 2 of them are overly friendly and seem to enjoy/tolerate being picked up. You can get all sorts of different Bantams - go to backyardchicken.com and check out their forums...much like here. You'll get lots of great info.

Bantam is a generic word for a smaller version of a large chicken. Think Quarter Horse vs Quarter Pony. In chickens, almost every breed has a bantam and a large fowl version.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

computer glitch post
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Head on over to backyardchickens.com, look under the Forums section, and you will find a section called "Where am I, Where are You?" and you could find people in VA if you want. Definitely explore that site. You might get more satisfaction out of buying off of breeders rather than a hatchery, but that's really up to you.

There are many hatcheries out there. A few that come to mind are Meyer, Cackle, Ideal, Randall Burkey. Good luck and enjoy your chickies!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com is a great place to see a wide variety of breeds. Request their free catalog and you will have many hours of browsing it ahead. :-)

I also recommend this page:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenders...ks/chooks.html

for selecting a breed - it has a great list of traits and qualities and links to pictures of just about every breed out there. Egg size and color, cold hardiness, rarity, full grown size, etc. Note especially the behavior column.

With bantams, when you order chicks, you'll get straight run - meaning you'll get boys as well as girls.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

If you order from My Pet Chicken you can pick the sex in most cases.

I'm going to get some bantams this year from my feed store, they order from Ideal hatchery and just get in pullets. I'm very excited!

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited and I perused the Murray McMurray site, I love all of them. We'll probably order a straight run of feather leg Bantams and see what happens. We have to build a coop and run first.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Depending on where you're located, "My Pet Chicken" will allow you to order as few as 2-3 chicks instead of the usual 25-minimum. This is particularly nice if you don't want 25 birds right off the bat.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/default.aspx

Something else you should keep in mind is that you really should make a decision as to whether you want standard-size chickens or bantams, as sometimes there can be nasty fights between the big gang & the little gang.

I love the common bantams with no hair on the legs. I had them for my first 20 yrs or so. My grandparents gave me a rooster and a hen, Henry and Henrietta, (named after 2 family friends) and those 2 were the foundation for a flock of about a dozen bantams at a time. (We didn't eat them or use their eggs, as they were pets only at my horse stable at home.) Bantams can actually fly up in trees to roost, unlike their heavier chicken cousins. However, possums do like to hunt bantams on rainy nights, so it is best to have a secure coop in which they can sleep.

We've had bantams here for 4 years now..they just seem to outlast everything we have brought in. One word of caution: they will go broody PDQ and they are notorious sneak nesters if you let them free-range. We found 13 eggs under some ferns in the garden after just two weeks. One top of the pecking order bantam (MilleFleur..very small but fiesty) is very bad about laying eggs anywhere other than the henhouse. She is downright sneaky. Bantams are very pretty if you are just looking for eye candy. We also have a pair of Australorps that we named Boyd and Phillip.

Whether or not bantams will be broody is dependent upon the individual breed.

And you can use bantam eggs, though they will be smaller. The larger bantam breeds will lay a medium sized egg.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Whether or not bantams will be broody is dependent upon the individual breed.
    Ditto, because Bantam is not a breed, but a size.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I love the common bantams with no hair on the legs. I had them for my first 20 yrs or so. My grandparents gave me a rooster and a hen, Henry and Henrietta, (named after 2 family friends) and those 2 were the foundation for a flock of about a dozen bantams at a time. (We didn't eat them or use their eggs, as they were pets only at my horse stable at home.) Bantams can actually fly up in trees to roost, unlike their heavier chicken cousins. However, possums do like to hunt bantams on rainy nights, so it is best to have a secure coop in which they can sleep.
    There's no such thing as a "common bantam". All of the bantams are of specific breeds (although there are also "mutts"). Any bantams without FEATHERED legs (chickens don't have "hair") are simply breeds that don't normally have feathered legs. Doesn't make them "common".

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I just took in 2 chickens that were supposed to be Australorps (sp?) and were not. They were going to be fox food as owner found them disruptive and apparently NOT that breed. They are probably a cross between Bantam and Australorp. Anyway we took them in and now my DH wants more. He actually wants Bantams, so where in Virginia can I go that is reputable?

I am also willing to order form out of state, but again where? We won't have a coop until Spring and for now the ones we have live in a stall.
    Oh, I love my little bantams. I have Cochins (feather-footed), D'Uccle (beard and foot feathers), Buff-laced Polish (poofy head and beard), Buff Silkies (poofy head, beard, and foot fluff), Sebright, Old English Game Bantam, Brahma (foot feathers), and uuuhh, I think that might be all, but I feel that I'm missing one..lol. My Buff Silkie hen is currently brooding 4 eggs.

I picked all of my bantams up at TSC which I don't recommend, unless, like me, you can't pass up poor sick and dying chicks so you have to take them home and try to save them. I lost 2 Sebrights, which are notoriously hard to raise, but the rest survived.

I believe C&C is probably referring to OEGBs since they are classic bantams.

Places like My Pet Chicken will let you order 2-3 chicks, but be aware that many of them throw in "packing peanut" chicks (to help retain heat), which are 99.9% of the time roosters, so you will have to make arrangements to house a few roos.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I really had good luck with Mt. Healthy hatcheries. I did order geese from Murray McMurray, but lost two almost immediately... But with Mt. Healthy I started with 26 chicks and had 26 until they were pullets and we lost one to a hawk. They are still going strong 3 years later!

Chickens are awesome! I love my layers, and this year I'm ordering some banties for looks and some meaties for...well...dinners! I think next year I'll have to order new layers, but they are still laying strong so I'll wait to see what their production is next year. My layers are Black Star.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    I really had good luck with Mt. Healthy hatcheries. I did order geese from Murray McMurray, but lost two almost immediately... But with Mt. Healthy I started with 26 chicks and had 26 until they were pullets and we lost one to a hawk. They are still going strong 3 years later!

Chickens are awesome! I love my layers, and this year I'm ordering some banties for looks and some meaties for...well...dinners! I think next year I'll have to order new layers, but they are still laying strong so I'll wait to see what their production is next year. My layers are Black Star.
    Just remember that at or around 1 year old, your hens will start molting and will do it each year consecutively thereafter. During that time, they do not lay so if you don't have any younger laying aged hens, you will not receive any eggs for the few months they are molting.

What I do is buy 10-15 layers each spring and they tend to start laying just as my other hens start to molt. As the older hens slow down laying, the new hens take up the slack. It's just an easy way to ensure that I always have at least a trickle of eggs coming in for clients.

I generally use Easter Egger hens because people like the green eggs, but last year I took home some Black Stars that someone else ordered and never came to pick up.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post

Just remember that at or around 1 year old, your hens will start molting and will do it each year consecutively thereafter. During that time, they do not lay so if you don't have any younger laying aged hens, you will not receive any eggs for the few months they are molting.

What I do is buy 10-15 layers each spring and they tend to start laying just as my other hens start to molt. As the older hens slow down laying, the new hens take up the slack. It's just an easy way to ensure that I always have at least a trickle of eggs coming in for clients.

I generally use Easter Egger hens because people like the green eggs, but last year I took home some Black Stars that someone else ordered and never came to pick up.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds