The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Magnesium in spring "green season"?

I've heard it's common to feed cattle magnesium when the spring grass comes in, but I've heard a few doing this with their equines too. Can someone please explain why and how? Thanks

Search 'prevention grass tetany'.
    Cold wet soil, and high levels of other nutrients prevents grass roots from getting enough magnesium. It's well researched and proven in cattle, yet it is common in mixed herds that when cattle get tetany, horses are still OK. This is an indication that equine Mg needs are less than cows. But horse owners worry more, so I guess that's why they address it anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's an issue with horses too, which is part of what can lead to some laminitis issues in IR horses.

The high water content of the grass dilutes the Mg content - at least that's what I read in relation to this.

I do think bovines are more sensitive to Mg deficiency issues, which is why it's more often seen in cattle even when horses are grazing the same pasture.

Interesting. Wonder if the smartcontrol IR I just started them on would have enough Mg to prevent this? I really wish I could just have a 5 acre dry lot!

Prevent what, grass tetany? As others have said, I believe it is quite uncommon in horses and mostly affects lactating ruminants, particularly ones bred to produce gigantic amounts of milk. The extrapolation between species seems (and I've only read a modest amount on this topic) to be done very loosely and in many cases by . . . you guessed it . . . people with a supplement to sell.

No doubt there is some possibility that profound mineral deficiencies might affect some individuals, but horses are hugely different from cattle and this is one of those areas where it is probably risky to extrapolate TOO much.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Win1 View Post
    I really wish I could just have a 5 acre dry lot!
    Move to the southwest. You can put 4 horses out on non- irrigated land and get a 40 acre dry lot in no time flat. Lots of people do it. Then when it rains you can wonder which of your fences will get washed away in the widening gullies.

But it sure makes life with a foundered horse a whole lot simpler!

2 members found this post helpful.

Have you seen this web site? Great info on all things nutrition.
    http://www.understanding-horse-nutri...magnesium.html

And this person's credentials include . . ?

What a bunch of garbage.

Well I think the way to go is not worry too much about it. My guys haven't shown any signs of deficiency, and we're giving the SmartControl IR a chance anyway. I'm not expecting much, but if even a handful of horses have benefited from it I will give it a try.

I think I would like to move south by the way. By the time I got the iced over gate latch to operate this morning my fingers were about to fall off from frostbite. I would welcome a different set of problems if it means my horses won't be fat. By the time I get tired of the heat and fixing fences I'll be ready to retire

I'm not expecting much, but if even a handful of horses have benefited from it I will give it a try.
    The supplement industry would like to thank you for your philosophy, which keeps their billion-dollar juggernaut afloat.

My horse is low in mag. so we started w/ Quiessence, it's wonderful!!
    Royal Guardian- aka "Gabe"