The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farm life sign - Know what you're getting into before you buy

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    This is awesome. And SO TRUE!! And in the sprng the manure will be spread on the fields. Deal with it, or don't come.

Farmers use loud, smelly machinery. They often use this machinery early in the morning. If this is a problem, stay in suburbia!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, they forgot the part about farm animals not sleeping in on the weekends.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Need to have those printed up!

During my real estate days, seeing so many New Yawkers move up here to the country, this is so, so, so true.

What always makes me laugh is how nervous they are about coming up here to the country where all of us wild-eyed farm/country dwellers are waiting to jump out and get 'em!!

Think we have a much better argument when we head to the city expecting to get mugged...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    This is awesome. And SO TRUE!! And in the sprng the manure will be spread on the fields. Deal with it, or don't come.
    Haha. Right after I got married, my new MIL (from Miami) came to visit. We decided to go to the Howard County Fair. We' were driving down the road and she asked what that horrible smell was...I laughed and said spring. Didn't smell horrible to me, that's what spring smells like in the country.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Didn't smell horrible to me, that's what spring smells like in the country.
    I could NOT agree more! And I do think of March in Vermont in particular, the vague (or intense depending on where you are) smell of manure in the air. A good smell! Spring out here (late June!! ) is manure and cows and sheep and pastures (ours) melting. People in and out of the local grocery store with muddy/manurey boots and wool pants/carharts. Even the store smells warm and manure filled!

I FAR FAR FAR prefer it to an area in town near the sewage treatment plant that smells so bad it is called "Pooville".

I cannot say I'm a fan of what the smell's like when our neighbor across the road uses his...um...byproduct of his former dairy/current feeder steer operation to fertilize the cornfields. (Or what it smells like when the dog finds it and rolls in it.) But I WANT THAT SIGN. That's just how it works in the country. As do wells, lack of sidewalks, barking/howling dogs (my next-door neighbor here is a licensed coonhound kennel owner--he only has about four adult hounds and no puppies this year but you would think from the SOUND there were a full hunting pack), chickens and other fowl, wildlife, septic systems, places where propane or wood/pellet furnaces are you options....If you want the amenities of a city with more green space, live in the suburbs with a big yard.

When I was a kid (25 years ago or so) we had people move into the 3 house "subdivision" across from our house when our neighbour severed some lots-the beginning of the end for that dead end road IMO (went from 6 houses in a mile to now 18). Anyway......two families were fine, but the third couple (a real estate agent himself so you'd think he would have known better) did nothing but complain about:
    the dust on his car (gravel road)
    the snowmobile traffice (trail started at the end of the road)
    smell and sound of my father's cattle
    dandelions and weeds (tried to have a pristine lawn, likely killing who knows how much wildlife with the poison he sprayed everyewhere)
    farm equipment (3 out of the 5 homes on the road were still working farms)
    dogs barking and "running loose" on our yard
    rabbits eating his flowers

I actually think they are still there so he must have gotten used to it. His wife was lovely and came to my father's funeral with the rest of the neighbours. He stayed home. So I've seen first hand when citiots move to the "country" ie. their two acre lots that used to be pasture. I just laugh.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Yes! The area where we are has now been completely surrounded by suburbia and several of the small ranchettes (5-20 acres) have been divided up into 2 acre tracts and now have fancy McMansions on them. One is RIGHT NEXT to my barn - like within 50 feet - and they constantly complain about horses neighing and farriers hammering on anvils and "that horsey smell."

So MOVE!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

If a property is being sold next to your farm, put that sign up on your property as near to the "for sale" sign as you can get it. That way prospective buyers will see it. As long as it's still on your property they can't take it down.

Everyone moving into the country, or what used to be country and is becoming the 'burbs should have to read and sign that they read that sign. They need to add that strange animals wander your property at will, you might hear roosters crowing, and if you let your animals run they will get squashed by the passing vehicles.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Country life aint for the faint of heart.. thats for sure

I live in New Jersey but the community is about 70% farms.

I was chatting with a local cop last week and he told me that the station received numerous calls about..............................deer in their yards!

He said he never figured out what to say that was polite.

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    I live in New Jersey but the community is about 70% farms.

I was chatting with a local cop last week and he told me that the station received numerous calls about..............................deer in their yards!

He said he never figured out what to say that was polite.
    Wildlife belongs to and is regulated by the state. Tell the complaintants to call the state !!