The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adjusting to new situation

After much thought and consideration I've decided to move my young mare to a local boarding facility and enroll her in professional training. I feel like I'm sending my child off to boarding school. My nerves are at a whole new level of anxiety.

I've always kept my horses at home and did training myself. However, life changes (getting married, moved into our own house, new job, and talk of starting a family) have kind of burned me out on being by myself with the horses. I want to get my girl in the show ring and I'm also looking to have me time with other horse people. My husband is very unsupportive of the horse thing and its just warn me down.

I'm lucky that this barn is only 10 minutes tops from my house and I can swing by and see her whenever I want but what can I do to make this transition as smooth as possible for her and myself?

Well I went through this with my young mare not too long ago. Early 2012.

The first week or so I went to the barn with no real agenda other than to have fun. I handwalked my horse, chatted with people at the barn. Didn't try to do any serious training. Just went with the flow. Next week I rode a bit. Third week I was in regular work.

Taking it easy in the beginning like this might give your horse a chance to adjust and you to meet other people.

Thanks. I'm very excited but very nervous about all of this. I guess I'm lucky in that I have taken the mare to this barn in the past just for day trips but still...I'm going to feel odd driving away with an empty trailer.