The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This is For the 99% Who Aren't With the 1% on the Florida Winter Circuit

Yep, living the real horsey life in winter.

http://youtu.be/ThI7Opv2KSs
    Last edited by Mike Matson; Jan. 11, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

I remember that winter! That was the winter that the snow kept falling, the January thaw never came in, and the roofs kept caving in. Mr. Chief2 was on the roof shoveling crew that took off 4- to 5-feet of snow off the barn and arena roof, wearing cables and safety vests that tethered them to the roof while they shoveled. Scary! It was an exhausting time for all!

One tip for the Boss Lady: get a horse with driving skills, hook it up to the hay sled, stack the hay higher, and bring it to the lower barn that way. Works great!

Thanks for sharing!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I didn't even make it through the whole thing! SO glad to be in NC!

Yuck! Can't wait to move south!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

and that was the reason we moved to Texas... we have grass coming up today...pastures are greening up

2 members found this post helpful.

I just want to point out that that was 2010. That was the winter roofs kept caving in in MA.

Supposedly, 2005 is the snowiest Jan on record in the Northeast. But I wouldn't know. I was in France in Jan 2005!!

Yup, that's what it's like!! I'll bet next time the forecast is calling for a few feet of snow, they will store extra hay in the aisles in both barns, in case they can't get to the shed. That video made me tired just watching.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Dear lord...

DH, who grew up on a remote ranch in WY (and I've seen pictures, soooo depressing and desolate, like going back six or seven decades instead of three), says he'll never complain about the rain "because you don't have to shovel it."

I complain about the rain because I'm a woman, and it's what I do. But at least when we get snow, it's cause for school closures, stupid collisions, and lots of fun out walking with your doggies... Nothing like that!!!

ETA: this was funny but we threw a spare tank heater in our goldfish pond, and they were all huddled under it like hobos around a trash can fire
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    and that was the reason we moved to Texas... we have grass coming up today...pastures are greening up
    Yep, same reason WE moved to Texas....then we get snow here on XMas DAY!!!!! What's with that?????

That video was the 2nd bad winter, right? THe one right before it was just as bad, as I recall, in MD.... two winters of 50"+ snowfall in one week....I was DONE!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I'm going to have that song stuck in my head now! YUCK SNOW. The reason I moved away from Reno. I guess it hasn't stopped snowing there since I left. Mwahahaha. Its 72 in Texas (:
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    Yep, same reason WE moved to Texas....then we get snow here on XMas DAY!!!!! What's with that?????!
    two out of the last three Christmas Days have had snow... our five year old grand daughters now believe it is always that way

Winter here is usually Jan 3rd through the 6th with a one day return visit the Saturday of the Ft Worth Stock Show Parade

Well, from here in winterland, all I can say is start digging while the snow is coming down to get ahead of it, use the bucket of the backhoe to lift you out of "stuckness", dig a path to and from the hay barn with the bobcat thing so you don't have to haul hay over the snow, and invest in carharts/real winter gear so you aren't in jeans !!!

Good grief, they need at least one overhead door with an electric opener. We don't get snow quite like that in my area but I knew when we built the barn that slider doors + snow = pain in the hiney. My barn has one overhead door with an opener so with one push of a button I am in the barn and can move the horses in and out in no time.