The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Oh, it goes by many names! Haven't you seen the show? Yeti, Bigfoot, Sasquatch (my step daughters have a lovely song made up about a Sasquatch).

lots of names. Not protected.
    If you're in the in-crowd, you get to say simply "Squatch"
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

1 members found this post helpful.

Well that was told to me by a very well known dog trainer who deals esp with problem/aggressive dogs. He has 50/60 yrs of dog experience. Of course you never put your face in that situation. I've seen him in action with highly aggressive dogs.
    It's a last ditch effort but it works(unless it's a pitbullbecause their jaws lock)

But you still haven't answered the question of where is the line using your gun to handle something hurting your livestock? As I said before guns are a divisive issue,because their purpose is to kill. Is there any line?
    I think that most of us on the other side have no problem in the use of a gun to defend your self or your family by any kind of predator (the law mightn't agree with that in all situations). Will you shoot thebaldeagle that wants a chicken? Will you shoot your own dog? Is there any line at all?

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    It's a last ditch effort but it works(unless it's a pitbullbecause their jaws lock)
    You have now revealed your total lackof knowledge in these matters, and nothing else you say will have credibility.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

8 members found this post helpful.

Lord have mercy is da crazee getting pretty deep in here....
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

2 members found this post helpful.

Is there any line at all?
    Keep your dog from attacking livestock and you won't have to find out. You're a hypocrite for placing a higher value on your pet. Livestock owners have a duty to protect their livestock. If you don't want them to shoot your dog - keep your dog from attacking their livestock. That means keep your dog on your own property.

QED.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

3 members found this post helpful.

But you still haven't answered the question of where is the line using your gun to handle something hurting your livestock? As I said before guns are a divisive issue,because their purpose is to kill. Is there any line?
    I think that most of us on the other side have no problem in the use of a gun to defend your self or your family by any kind of predator (the law mightn't agree with that in all situations). Will you shoot thebaldeagle that wants a chicken? Will you shoot your own dog? Is there any line at all?
    Where the Sam Hill did the bald eagle come from?

The problem is when many of you choose to use your gun to kill the neighbor's dog or wildlife predator when there might be other solutions.
    You are in no position to dictate to anyone here how they should or should not solve their problems with predators of any sort.

You are out of line and out of bounds. There is no dialogue with the likes of you.

3 members found this post helpful.

Speaking of questions not answered....

pezk, I believe I asked you what You would do if a creature under your stewardship was attacked by a stray/feral/aggressive pet?

Well that was told to me by a very well known dog trainer who deals esp with problem/aggressive dogs. He has 50/60 yrs of dog experience. Of course you never put your face in that situation. I've seen him in action with highly aggressive dogs.
    The well known trainer must have been well known due to ignorance.
    How do you grab a dog's hind legs without bending over?
    How do you bend over without your face going down also?
    How does holding the hind legs render the rest of the dog paralyzed?
    Who in Sam Hill told you a pitbull's jaws lock?

A pitbull's jaws do not lock. That's an urban legend that nobody familiar with canine anatomy believes.

Grabbing a dog's hind legs is highly likely to turn the aggression on you. Feelings of being attacked from behind will cause the dog to twist around and attack back. Your face may still be down there.

A dog can easily twist around and grab anyone holding it's hind legs. Any canine can.

There doesn't seem to be the option of dialogue with you due to the rhetoric, hyperbole and dramatic over emotional replies. People have answered your questions (accusations actually) both before you asked and after. You seem to either not read the replies or read them with an extreme bias and see only what you expect as a reply as opposed to what's actually written.

Not to mention the many inexperienced and incorrect statements you;ve given.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    You have now revealed your total lackof knowledge in these matters, and nothing else you say will have credibility.
    That was told to me by the same very respected dog trainer who told me about using the dogs hind legs. Even he didn't like dealing with pit bulls because they don 't bite and release like other dogs. That is what causes the damage. I suggest you consult the experts on those breeds.
    And I did see the hind leg approach in a whopper of a dogfight at a barn where I boarded my horse. The owners knew the same technique and used it effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    You are in no position to dictate to anyone here how they should or should not solve their problems with predators of any sort.

You are out of line and out of bounds. There is no dialogue with the likes of you.
    No, I'm not. You just don't agree with me. There isn't ' any dialogue with most Gun owners either.

That was told to me by the same very respected dog trainer who told me about using the dogs hind legs. Even he didn't like dealing with pit bulls because they don 't bite and release like other dogs. That is what causes the damage. I suggest you consult the experts on those breeds.
    And I did see the hind leg approach in a whopper of a dogfight at a barn where I boarded my horse. The owners knew the same technique and used it effectively.
    I'm telling you as someone who teaches domestic animal anatomy and physiology, and possesses a degree in veterinary medicine that there is no such thing as "locking jaws" in any domestic dog breed, and that it is entirely possible for a dog to turn and bite a handler holding onto its hind limbs.
    Do I have as much credibility as some "handler" who doesn't even like the breed he's telling untruths about?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

5 members found this post helpful.

How would you care to handle this, folks? Got this message today. I live in a rural area, I have dogs and cats and horses and a donkey at my house. This activity is about a mile at the most from me, as the crow flies.

Hey just wanted to warn you a pack of dogs or something is going around killing livestock. Tim G_____ (hwy ____) lost 14 goats, next him man list 4 sheep. I woke up thus morning to find my 3 pet goats and my 2 pet pigs dead.also 2 hogs that belonged to the b______. Just wanted you to know to be on the lookout. If I hear any more information I will let you know. I live on co road ____.

If you lived where I am, and had small livestock- what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Hey just wanted to warn you a pack of dogs or something is going around killing livestock. Tim G_____ (hwy ____) lost 14 goats, next him man list 4 sheep. I woke up thus morning to find my 3 pet goats and my 2 pet pigs dead.also 2 hogs that belonged to the b______. Just wanted you to know to be on the lookout. If I hear any more information I will let you know. I live on co road ____.

Go on the hunt

Wow, just catching up on this thread...

Just when I thought a certain poster couldn't be more ignorant, another post appears.

I'd hotwire everything...multi-strands and HOT first.

Try to track them first.

And worry.

pezk, you're arguing with a vet that's also a professor. I'd suggest you stop digging that hole. The ignorance in your replies is obvious.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    How would you care to handle this, folks? Got this message today. I live in a rural area, I have dogs and cats and horses and a donkey at my house. This activity is about a mile at the most from me, as the crow flies.

I'd keep my dogs and cats in until the problem was resolved. Hot wire around the other critters at a level low enough to get a dog, and if they manage to get past that hopefully your donkey really, really hates dogs.

Good luck to you and your neighbors. Hope no more animals are lost

FWIW, we had a chow/lab/husky/Lord knows what mix- he was so furry, hot wire was a joke. He'd go through/over it and with all that massive coat he'd never show any sign he was shocked by it. You need a dog thin coated enough to even notice he was popped-and guess what- he's through it before he gets popped and he just zooms INTO your field even faster. My English Setter is afraid of one particular fence that's popped him before- but he got IN when he got popped- it didn't stop him. They don't stop and sniff the fence, they duck under, get popped, and just come on in, that much faster.

So if you come home and find said dogs in said pen, slaughtering your animals, some of you would just what? call the cops? Ask a farmer for help? Post on Facebook? Post here and ask? While they continue their assault?

I'm not about killing anything for kicks but damn, I don't get the idea of just watching and ...what?