The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    But what is the accepted form of protection if Bigfoot goes after your livestock? From the show, they're heck on deer!
    You silly person ! You grab them by the hind legs, put a leash on them and take them back to where they belong ! But I guess some jerky and a beer would probably work too

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by volvo_240 View Post
    I agree the owner bears some responsibility, but would you really want someone that trigger happy in your neighborhoid? Sometimes loose dogs do happen by accident.
    That dog knew where the rabbits were because I can guarantee he had been there more than once already. Keep your dogs at home and they won't get shot by your neighbor. Target practice doesn't make you " trigger happy" it is needed so you can shoot with accuracy. Taking target practice on your own property is normal.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    I'm telling you as someone who teaches domestic animal anatomy and physiology, and possesses a degree in veterinary medicine that there is no such thing as "locking jaws" in any domestic dog breed, and that it is entirely possible for a dog to turn and bite a handler holding onto its hind limbs.
    Do I have as much credibility as some "handler" who doesn't even like the breed he's telling untruths about?
    How dare you try to bring something like actual SCIENCE into this discussion?

(I couldn't resist. Carry on everyone).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

If a 'Squatch goes after my critters, I still think I'll have to shoot. But I bet that if I pegged him with a beer he'd back right off, so I'd try that first.

In all seriousness though, I hope no one will try to grab hind legs and pull. I'm sure it CAN work at times, but I don't think it's very good advice, especially for those not well trained in observing behavior and reacting quickly. Your face is just too danged close to the danger doing that.

I'll stand by those words. I'd not recommend it. Ever. Better to let your own dog get torn apart than have your face or hands ripped off breaking up a dog fight.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    If a 'Squatch goes after my critters, I still think I'll have to shoot. But I bet that if I pegged him with a beer he'd back right off, so I'd try that first.

In all seriousness though, I hope no one will try to grab hind legs and pull. I'm sure it CAN work at times, but I don't think it's very good advice, especially for those not well trained in observing behavior and reacting quickly. Your face is just too danged close to the danger doing that.

I'll stand by those words. I'd not recommend it. Ever. Better to let your own dog get torn apart than have your face or hands ripped off breaking up a dog fight.
    Oh, that would never happen, Bigfoot is vegetarian... LOL!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

What I find interesting among the "poor poochie" people is that they don't seem to understand that dog "play" is entirely preparation, training, or imitation of the kill (when it is directed towards prey animals, like rabbits, sheep, horses, small mammals, even cats, other species). In wolves and dogs, the puppy "play" is all for teaching about bait and harrying, attack and kill. In many dog breeds, puppy play is still a part of an adult dog's makeup, but it is still the precursor to stalking, attacking and killing. In any adult dog, what naiive dog owners see as play is practice and testing for taking down prey. In many of these dogs, the actual taking of prey is never "turned on" because they never experience that act, or they never see another dog do it, or they never are allowed to continue the behaviour until they do, but it is there in every dog to one degree or another. When dogs "pack" or get together in numbers, this instinct is turned on more strongly, often than if the dog was on his own.

When a dog jumps around a rabbit hutch, he is egging himself on about the prey animal and it is not harmless "play". Play around a prey animal is potentially dangerous. You never know when going after the prey animal will happen and it is foolish of any dog owner to think allowing their dog "harmless" harryment or engagement with a prey animal is safe. Yes, some dogs grow up with a cat or rabbit as a co-pet and think of that animal as part of their pack or family, and won't hurt them, but they can always turn on an unfamiliar animal of that other species, if allowed the free rein to do it undeterred.

Any dog chasing a horse is testing his instinct to hamstring them unless he is specifcally bred and trained to herd and not harm them. Even shepherd type dogs who chase and herd sheep are using their wolfly instinct to chase herd animmals and bite at their heels. Their breeding and training may be such that they guard and don't actually harm or kill them, but its the killer instinct which is being used and redirected through breeding and training.

I can't think of anything more foolish that seeing a dog getting at a rabbit in its hutch and claiming it wanted to"play" with the rabbit. The person saying that may well be right - they may well want to "play" with the rabbit. That's how the kill starts with domestic dogs. Its all fun until somebody looses an eye.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

7 members found this post helpful.

Better to let your own dog get torn apart than have your face or hands ripped off breaking up a dog fight.
    Not minimizing the risk of wading into a dog fight at all - but no. I've never been able to stay out of a dog fight when one of my dogs were involved.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Not minimizing the risk of wading into a dog fight at all - but no. I've never been able to stay out of a dog fight when one of my dogs were involved.

Probably where the moma bear stupid kicks in, one springs into action, gets torn to pieces and the dog/cat still can't be saved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I mentioned the grab the hind legs maneuver to the techs at work today.
    Hilarity ensued.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Probably where the moma bear stupid kicks in, one springs into action, gets torn to pieces and the dog/cat still can't be saved.
    No, so far so good. I don't think I've ever gotten hurt breaking up a dog fight - at least not yet. And so far no damage to the combatants that some stitches and antibiotics couldn't take care of.*

ETA: Although now that I've grown a brain, I've given up the chows and wolf hybrids for border collies and a Brittany. So I imagine my chances of survival have increased dramatically.

*Oh, wait, I take that back. Actually I did have an elderly lab who died later at the vet's of shock after I kicked the Great Dane off her. And there was a borzoi who died of complications after being attacked by my chow's sire. We had to break that one up by jamming a waterhose down the chow's throat and holding his nose shut. He finally let go when he started losing consciousness. The chow was fine - indestructible little beasts - but the borzoi died later of infection. The chow's teeth pierced the borzoi's salivary glands and even with antibiotics and aftercare we couldn't keep the infection out of such a wet environment. Only two in fifty years, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    PEZK is like a seagull - fly in here, crap all over, then fly away.

And to attrack a Bigfoot, you have to make that ridiculous call that they do on the Bigfoot reality show. (And if you think Bigfoot is answering you, he's not - that's your neighbor a mile away calling Bigfoot to HIS backyard).
    I heard the best ways to attract a big foot is

a) be a woman (only works with men bigfeet)

b) leave out a jar of peanut butter (works with all big feet, but especially women bigfeet and kidsfeet)

c) drive your car down a lonely dirt road in the mountains (they're all like "Dang, where's one of those cars with highbeams when you need to make your way across the road into the deep woods, oh, hay, here we go...")
    Last edited by Ambitious Kate; Jan. 17, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    But what is the accepted form of protection if Bigfoot goes after your livestock? From the show, they're heck on deer!
    From what I've heard, they pretty much leave humans' livestock alone - preferring to fly under the radar and keep people from having too many reasons to go after them. In general. I don't think that includes the temptation of throwing rocks at the roofs of people's cabins, though. That entertainment just might be too much fun on a slow night...

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    From what I've heard, they pretty much leave humans' livestock alone - preferring to fly under the radar and keep people from having too many reasons to go after them. In general. I don't think that includes the temptation of throwing rocks at the roofs of people's cabins, though. That entertainment just might be too much fun on a slow night...
    You know, I think you're on to something. If Bigfoot goes rogue maybe we can use their rock throwing and tree knocking to communicate with them and tell them to leave our animals alone.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I have waded into fights between two bitches, shouting and kicking, but I have come to recognise 1) I. Was lucky and 2) their rivalry was new and not that serious.
    Given a couple of months of those dogs unsupervisedervise l would have had no hope of breaking up a fight Between them withou getting seriously hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post

I have waded into fights between two bitches, shouting and kicking, but I have come to recognise 1) I. Was lucky and 2) their rivalry was new and not that serious.
    For a minute there I thought you were at the same bar that I was last night !

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    ...he sees police car coming down the driveway. DH sets gun in the truck and walks out to greet the Officer. Officer asks "Why are you walking around with a gun?" DH says, "Because I can" and told the Officer the story. DH tells Officer the rifle is in the front of the truck if he wants to see it. Officer declines, but does walk with DH to where my mare is to see if there's any damage. Fortunately the mare was unharmed. Takes description of said dog and tells DH that he'll shoot the dog if he sees it and tells DH to "Have a nice day".
    A big salute to your husband and the officer!

I shot a golden retriever who was chasing horses at my barn...one horse being chased ran into another horse and broke his neck. Young girl's horse killed by this dog...hung the dog on the fence between the two properties and called the sheriff...and yes, the dog's owner had been warned repeatedly about his dog..he was a city jerk who owned a country house and said, "My dog has a right to run around". Zero tolerance for any dog chasing livestock, including my own pet carnivores.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

2 members found this post helpful.

No, so far so good. I don't think I've ever gotten hurt breaking up a dog fight - at least not yet. And so far no damage to the combatants that some stitches and antibiotics couldn't take care of.*

ETA: Although now that I've grown a brain, I've given up the chows and wolf hybrids for border collies and a Brittany. So I imagine my chances of survival have increased dramatically.

*Oh, wait, I take that back. Actually I did have an elderly lab who died later at the vet's of shock after I kicked the Great Dane off her. And there was a borzoi who died of complications after being attacked by my chow's sire. We had to break that one up by jamming a waterhose down the chow's throat and holding his nose shut. He finally let go when he started losing consciousness. The chow was fine - indestructible little beasts - but the borzoi died later of infection. The chow's teeth pierced the borzoi's salivary glands and even with antibiotics and aftercare we couldn't keep the infection out of such a wet environment. Only two in fifty years, though.
    Wow. But you kept the dogs that inflicted the damage? Wow.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Member of Kathy S. has me on ignore club.

I hear you. Which is why I found myself in my bathrobe, screaming for my husband who was inside completely oblivious whilst kicking the ever loving snot out of dogs in my bare feet, thus breaking my toe. It was two PBs to one SP and one me. Not the best odds I've ever encountered. But my toes have been broken before. Better than losing a hand or my nose.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Wow. But you kept the dogs that inflicted the damage? Wow.
    I kept the Great Dane. The lab was the initial aggressor in the fight - she tunneled into the Great Dane's run and jumped her. I couldn't see putting her down for what might have been self-defense. She lived happily ever after with my one remaining wolf hybrid until I put her down for health reasons at 11 yrs of age.

The chow wasn't mine. He sired one of my chows. But yes, his owner kept him and kept breeding him. Back in the day, temperament wasn't a high priority for chow breeders. I was handed several ribbons with blood on them over the years.
    And the temperament was definitely an inherited trait. I had to watch the son like a hawk the entire thirteen years I owned him. He never killed anything while I had him, but it wasn't for lack of trying on his part. That said, he was the most pleasant dog to live with I've ever owned. I still miss him. I liked his dad, too.

Grab as close to the head as you can, and get you a good grip (pit bulls have nothing on me) Really sink your fingers into the back of the neck and don't let go. If you can control the head, they can't bite you. If the dog is short enough (doG knew what he was doing when he made chows fairly small ), straddle the back of the dog. But only if the dog is short - tall dogs can knock you off your feet and then you're toast.

The other dog in the fight, of course, can and will bite you. So you need two people.

And if you're not willing to get bitten, you should just say "May the best man win," stay out of the way, and get out your credit card to pay the vet bills afterward.

Oh, and Resolve carpet cleaner is the best for getting blood out of carpets and upholstery.

ETA: But if you grab the back legs, 9 times out of 10 that sumbeast will turn around and nail you!
    See my instinct would be to use the hind leg method by looping a leash (preferably hospital leash) around the leg and pulling the dogs apart. I've had to do this with Pits before as they are very stubborn and will not give up/let go of the opponent. No way would I put my hand where I could bet bitten by both dogs. Pits have been the hardest dog fights to break up, other dogs were fine with water being sprayed, shouting etc. But each to his own and lucky for me, my breaking up dog fight days are over.
    I LOVE my Chickens!