The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    of the thousands of hunters - and that WAS what you referred to, a handful have these lapses of judgement each year, the extreme cases do not happen that often....
    and you Assume that everybody with a gun is a moron who can't tell his elbow from his neighbor's?
    Ok, now I get to LOL.

Then I would be assuming that myself, my DH and 95% of my family are all morons. Geez, who is jumping to conclusions now. ALL I did at first was point out that the guy probably knew exactly what he was shooting at and so I called BS on the fact that he "didn't know it was the neighbor's dog".

Then someone said it was ok to shoot at things not fully identified. YOU claimed people could easily distinguish things before shooting. All I did was point out that no, people don't always and you'd better make DAMN SURE you know what you are shooting at before pulling the trigger. Mistakes can and DO happen. Call them morons to make yourself feel better. I think they are people who convinced themselves that they saw what they wanted to see and made a horrible, tragic mistake.

I would argue that it is better for gun advocates and hunters to be very careful about shooting (MOST are) but also be fully aware and admit that mistakes are very easy to happen. Safety only comes with full awareness of what can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by millerra View Post
    Then someone said it was ok to shoot at things not fully identified.
    Who here said that?

He saw A PREDATOR trying to get to his animals. That's enough ID to drop the hammer in any rational person's playbook.

I love dogs and am not a fan of guns. However, I also don't think that I, as a property owner, should be forced to put up with my neighbors' dogs constantly on my property. I'm not going to shoot them for crossing the pasture, but I -am- having a problem with two Beagle puppies who think that chasing my horses and my barn cat is a fun idea. We've contacted the owner repeatedly. The last time we contacted him, we let him know that if they're back on the property we will call the sheriff. We've SEEN them chasing the cat and the horses, and they've tried to square off with our dogs. Our dogs would eat them if we let them. Our sheriff's department won't do anything, so we're going to have to handle it. But we'll give the sheriff's department a chance.

Our dogs are in the house with us, in a fenced back yard, or supervised when they're out of the yard. I do worry that my GSD would get shot if he got out - he's big, I'm not sure how he would do with other dogs, and he WOULD chase livestock. If he ever gets out and gets shot, I will cry. However if he was chasing livestock or domestic pets, then I'll just have to live with it.

It is not the dogs' faults - they're just being dogs. But the owners of other animals shouldn't have to live in fear for their own animal's safety because someone else decides it is ok to let their dogs roam.

This discussion shouldn't be about 'crazy gun owners' or 'liberals banning guns'. It could be about responsible pet ownership and respect for neighboring property. It could even be about alternatives to shooting dogs - with the realization that sometimes the alternatives don't work.

Poor dog. Poor bunnies. Poor animals caught up in our mess.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    Am I understanding some of you correctly that you would consider shooting a loose dog that came on your property even if it weren't threatening anything?
    No. I wouldn't shoot a dog that visited, even multiple times, so long as it was friendly. I wouldn't even shoot for going to the bathroom on my lawn. If it became habitual -- like the owners just opened up the back door and let Poopsie run over to my place -- I'd start scooping up Poopsie's gift and dumping it on my neighbor's porch until they got the idea their doggie was not wanted on my property to do his business everyday.

If any dog showed up and acted like it was going to do something, or worse actually was doing something, to one of my family members or pets? Yes. I'll deal with wandering dogs. I am not dealing with dangerous dogs.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

He saw A PREDATOR trying to get to his animals. That's enough ID to drop the hammer in any rational person's playbook.
    LOL, is that what you think it means?

I'm done with you.

not funny at all. FWIW, I think he identified it as a dog, as a brittany.

BUT since you think it's funny -

driver of a brown van, shot and killed because the shooter thought the brown van was a deer.

Turkey hunter shot and killed because the shooter thought it was a bobcat.

White horse with child rider, shot and killed because the hunter saw white (tail of deer) and shot.

2 yr old child in a stroller, out for a walk with mom and dog, shot and killed by the neighbor shooting at the dog.

Oh, so so funny.
    Apples and oranges. There is a difference between mistaken identity by hunters -- who absolutely should be sure what they are aiming at before pulling a trigger -- and shooting at what is clearly a predator trying to get at your pets in an emergency situation.

3 members found this post helpful.

This incident happened in my town. I'm dissapointed that someone was careless enough with their pet to allow it to run loose.

The dog is dead because the OWNERS didn't keep him contained. Period.

I'm disgusted at all the anti-gun fear-mongering that's been going on lately. The media is feeding it to the yellow-bellied general public and they're lapping it up.

Makes me want to puke.

The whole neighborhood stood in front of this guys house and PICKETED against him killing the dog. REALLY? Absurd. What kind of people make up this nation now?

Not the same kind that forged it, I can tell you that for certain.

Sad for the dog, I side with the rabbit owner.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daatje View Post
    This incident happened in my town. I'm dissapointed that someone was careless enough with their pet to allow it to run loose.

The dog is dead because the OWNERS didn't keep him contained. Period.

I'm disgusted at all the anti-gun fear-mongering that's been going on lately. The media is feeding it to the yellow-bellied general public and they're lapping it up.

Makes me want to puke.

The whole neighborhood stood in front of this guys house and PICKETED against him killing the dog. REALLY? Absurd. What kind of people make up this nation now?

Not the same kind that forged it, I can tell you that for certain.

Sad for the dog, I side with the rabbit owner.

Seems like 'the whole neighborhood' came from another state, according to one poster....
    makes me believe they are paid to hold up the signs.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Seems like 'the whole neighborhood' came from another state, according to one poster....
    makes me believe they are paid to hold up the signs.
    Interesting......paid by who? I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Daatje View Post
    Interesting......paid by who? I wonder.
    Take your pick!

Anti gun lobby to our favorite people when it comes to the 'rights' of poor critters.

Nobody can be that bored and void of life that they travel that far to protest.
    Well, yeah, the WBC cretins....
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

How about picketers going to dog owner's house and parading around with signs that read

"Get your sorry *ss out of bed and WALK your dog", or "Be a responsible dog owner"...

Dog was out in the morning-looked like a cold NH morning, and was now targeting the rabbits in their hutch-which can easily die of fright. Dog not deterred by yelling, or a warning shot?

Methinks "neighbors" were in the habit of letting doggie out to do its' business, and a Brittany being an active, HUNTING dog, kept finding trouble....and paid for it with it's life.

Um, who's fault is that again?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spurgirl View Post
    How about picketers going to dog owner's house and parading around with signs that read

"Get your sorry *ss out of bed and WALK your dog", or "Be a responsible dog owner"...

Dog was out in the morning-looked like a cold NH morning, and was now targeting the rabbits in their hutch-which can easily die of fright. Dog not deterred by yelling, or a warning shot?

Methinks "neighbors" were in the habit of letting doggie out to do its' business, and a Brittany being an active, HUNTING dog, kept finding trouble....and paid for it with it's life.

Um, who's fault is that again?
    damn rabbit owner of course!

yep, you are 100% right!

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    Am I understanding some of you correctly that you would consider shooting a loose dog that came on your property even if it weren't threatening anything? I don't want to misunderstand or extrapolate, but a few statements have implied that -- someone upthread did mention feeling comfortable shooting a dog if it got in his fenced yard, I think? ??
    I can't speak for anyone else - but i would never harm an animal merely for being on my property. Ever. I would only shoot an animal (dog) if it was posing a danger to me or it was harassing or chasing livestock.

Hunting dogs usually just pass through - though I do on occasion find one that is lost - they usually end up on the front porch or they hang out with my beagle. Those I pen up and find the owners. Hounds are usually pretty sweet and agreeable, if often shy.

Shooting a dog or cat just for crossing your property line is a pretty shitty thing to do. It really is.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

You guys are always so out for blood. are you honestly telling me you would not go out put a leash on the dog and call Animal Control.

bit no lets pull out our assualt rifle and kill the dog.

I have a farm, i have animals, and I have on two occasions called dogs over, leashed them and called animal control when they strayed onto my property and harassed my animals.

There is nothing in the article that says the dog regularly got out. The guy who shot the dog claims to not have known whose dog it was, which further affirms my opinion that they dog was not routinely loose.

I sure hope that you get treated a little better for one mistake then some one pulling the trigger on you.

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    You guys are always so out for blood. are you honestly telling me you would not go out put a leash on the dog and call Animal Control.

I have a farm, i have animals, and I have on two occasions called dogs over, leashed them and called animal control when they strayed onto my property and harassed my animals.

There is nothing in the article that says the dog regularly got out. The guy who shot the dog claims to not have known whose dog it was, which further affirms my opinion that they dog was not routinely loose.

I sure hope that you get treated a little better for one mistake then some one pulling the trigger on you.
    Sigh. This is getting tiring.

Yes, that is exactly it. We are actually saying that we are all closet, blood-crazed dog killers.

Now where's Poopsie? I've got an itchy trigger finger I need to appease

Please see this thread for why I will shoot dogs. My lambs killed and sheep attacked today.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...67#post6782867

chisamba

Mrs. Gibbons told a reporter that “There’s a lot of misinformation out there, but this was a vicious attack. The dog was ripping off the back of the cage, and we had to protect our animals.”
    When was he supposed to leash the dog? He was upstairs in his bedroom window. He yelled, dog ignored. He fired a warning shot, dog ignored. He shot the dog.
    Guess he and other "out for blood people" should have let him get a rabbit or two while he ran down the stairs, out the door, across the yard and grabbed the dog?

Would it have been better if it wasn't an assault rifle? You seem to use that term like an accusation. Like it means anything you do with one is an assault. Or that everyone owns one.

That's good. That's also what the majority of people do if given the choice. Not everyone has the time to make that choice. Would you just stand there upset watching dog(s) maul your mini horse, goats or chickens? Call AC and hope they got there before the dogs ran off? What if the dogs aren't stranger-friendly, ignoring you and running full tilt at your horses? Hope you could run as fast and catch one with a leash? How about in this news case? You're in the second story of your house, hear a commotion out back, look out the window and see a dog actively digging away at a rabbit hutch. Run down and grab the dog...as he shakes another rabbit to bits?
    For some people, that is their only option. And understandably not everyone has, wants or needs a gun. But if they do have a firearm and this is happening, they're supposed to allow it to happen while they try to run and catch the dog first?

But these neighbors are not best friends. The Gibbons told police they had problems in the past with the dog wandering in their yard. The Galiettas have filed a number of complaints over Gibbons firing his rifle.
    From the first article.

And this is the "poor sweet dog owners" words:
    But Fred Galietta, Sadie’s former owner, disagrees. “She saw the rabbits and wanted to play with them. She was a playful dog. She played with squirrels and chipmunks,” he said.

Do you believe that? They admit "Oh sure she was after the rabbits. But she wanted to PLAY!"
    But no, the man with a firearm who protected his rabbits from the dog trying to take apart the hutch is the liar and the bad guy.

They've already started a civil suit against the rabbit owner. Nice, huh?

The rabbit owner actually tried twice to get the dog to stop without using any force. He yelled, he used a warning shot. He also killed it instantly with a single shot. And he's the one that called the police. He was in the right. 100%. He tried to NOT shoot the dog first. He was given no choice...either shoot the dog or have dead rabbits due to "playing" with them or their hearts stopping due to fright...very common with rabbits. There was absolutely no "leash it" option.

This last bit is just childish and vindictive. Not to mention inaccurate and ridiculous.

You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

5 members found this post helpful.

Default Why leave rabbits to live in outside hutch??

Quote Originally Posted by blairasb View Post
    Gonna agree here too. There's just no excuse for the dog to have been there in the first place. Horrible for the dog, but the owners are clearly at fault for repeatedly letting the dog get loose.
    While I do agree that it is the dog owners who are at fault here; And that it is the landowners rights to shoot a dog who is running the landowners stock..... I have to question if the rabbits were that loved as pets but why the *&&%^ were they living in an outside hutch? Why were they not inside the house? Safe from harm? I mean seriously a rabbit hutch in my backyard (city in Va) is going to be visited by the foxes and raccoons that live around here. I would never allow my rabbits to be outside, unsupervised period. Unless of course they were meat animals...... I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    Take it easy.
    Oh, please. You overreacted in your initial response to my opinion re: the dog, implied I had a secret rabbit-hating agenda, and when I pointed out your rather aggressive misunderstanding, you switch tactics to pretend that you've been calm and reasonable all along. Whatever. Go shoot some puppies*.

*See, it's wrong to imply that others are monsters, just because they disagree with you!