The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joint injection question? More improvement from subsequent injections?

My mare, Jet, had her left rear fetlock injected in November, after an unsuccessful equioxx trial. She did block out nicely to the fetlock. I started Pentosan as well, and she has completed the loading dose. She is much, much better, but not 100%. I've texted my regular vet for her opinion, and I'll call the lameness guy who injected her Monday, but I was just wondering if people had experienced better results with a subsequent joint injection. I have a friend having epidural injections, and they are done in a series, so I just started thinking about it. Thoughts?

I assume you ultrasounded the area and ruled out soft tissue injury? Sometimes a soft tissue injury near a joint can be masked for a period of time by the steroids from a joint injection. What did the x-ray show? Is there a chip, spur, ringbone?

Most vets won't inject the same joint more than once every 6 months. I wouldn't expect that your vet would be willing to re-inject at 3 months.

There is a small spur in the joint. He didn't ultrasound - I guess based on his exam and how well she blocked out.

I thought he said he could do another injection as soon as three months, but it's entirely possible I am remembering that incorrectly. We discussed so many options and protocols, I should have brought a notetaker!