The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy18 View Post
    Crackerdog, we had your weather for a couple of days. Above normal temps, rain/mist and fog. Killed what little snow we had. Now it is horrible winds and temps in the 20's and falling, so everything is icy. I HATE it.

Now it will be cold and no snow to do anything in, and too icy for horses. I'm hoping for decent footing tomorrow where we park at the trainer's.

DH did chores this morning and said the dry lots weren't too slippery. A friend of a friend on FB had to put down a horse bc it broke its leg on the ice.

This wacky weather makes me nervous. I want my normal winters back.
    How sad, accidents happen anyway, but when there is ice, well, they just happen more.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy18 View Post
    Crackerdog, we had your weather for a couple of days. Above normal temps, rain/mist and fog. Killed what little snow we had. Now it is horrible winds and temps in the 20's and falling, so everything is icy. I HATE it.

Now it will be cold and no snow to do anything in, and too icy for horses. I'm hoping for decent footing tomorrow where we park at the trainer's.

DH did chores this morning and said the dry lots weren't too slippery. A friend of a friend on FB had to put down a horse bc it broke its leg on the ice.

This wacky weather makes me nervous. I want my normal winters back.
    That's really sad about the horse, mine are hobbling around on the frozen foot holes they had made before this cold snap came in.

We still have standing water on the fields here. Can't believe how much rain we've had over the past few months. I'd send it to places that need it if I could.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Count yourselves lucky! My farm hasn't had measurable rainfall in about four months, and every county in Kansas is at some level of drought. We were lucky here last year and got enough rainfall and snow in the spring to give us hay for the winter. But none of that has materialized yet this season . . . wish we could take some of your rain! I'm already wondering what I'll do if we don't get any rainfall this spring.

I know the feeling. I haven't been able to ride since this past Monday because of all the rain. Today looked hopeful, but the fog burned off late only to have some light showers move through. No sun meant no drying out. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    No kidding.

I hear out Aussie friends are dealing with record heat and massive wild firs right now, and their summer hasn't 'heated up' yet...

Then again, last year they had the floods, too...
    Yup we have had a some really fun weather the last couple weeks! We had a week of +40C Right now it is raining which is super nice

New South Wales (Sydney) are fighting over 100 different fires with a few still out of control. Tasmania I think are out but lost 130+ homes.

P.

I'm in New Orleans and we've had over 5" of rain and we are knee deep mud and once again, training has taken a backseat to the weather.

The news showed film of the fires in Australia - how awful and hope they get rain soon.

A positive side about winter rain in Louisiana is the crawfish harvest should be good this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Idrivetrotters View Post
    I'm in New Orleans and we've had over 5" of rain and we are knee deep mud and once again, training has taken a backseat to the weather.
    Decades ago, we had the occasional TB and qh running at Jefferson Downs in LA.
    At times the stalls would flood chest high to the horses, with poisonous snakes swimming in there, before they could evacuate them!

I think Kentucky and Indiana are now in the same boat. Literally

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"