The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AARGH!! They are going to have to record rainfall in FEET!

The poor horses have been cooped up for days. We've had over 11 inches over the past couple of days, and somewhere between 1 and 2 inches today. (I can't bear to go check) And it's going to keep raining for the next week!

The pastures are slop, local rivers are flooding, and the rain just. won't. quit.

The horses are just going to have to deal with the mud tomorrow because they can't stay in any longer.

What happened to the daily afternoon shower? Now it's no rain for weeks, then downpours for days. I hate it!

Yep my horses are giving swimming lessons to pass the time

Isn't it WONDERFUL?

We ended last year with 5.08" of moisture.
    Recorded our first for this year two days ago at .43".

May we hope the drought is breaking?

5 members found this post helpful.

We haven't had that much but it is pretty wet out there. I don't have a barn or the horses would be in it. The only place dry enough really is the front yard. That is where they are during the day. At night, they are in the back yard. It's really too wet to have them back there and is pretty torn up but better than their pasture.

More rain is forecast for Sunday with a chance for rain tomorrow and at least half of next week. Joy.

Yes, just in time, modeling the new outfit.

Oops. MAAAJOR underestimate! I just looked, and it's 4.5 inches so far today, and still raining!
    glub, glub, glub.

where are you located? We are getting rain too, not that much, but I wish it were snow! This is January, this is Canada... I am so tired of the mud and poor footing. We need snow to cover the ruts... sigh...

Yaya you must be in Louisiana huh?

Gulf Coast -south LA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Isn't it WONDERFUL?

We aren't as bad off as you guys in west Texas, but our part of the state has been hurting. I've watched rain slide by to the north, to the south, to the east, and to the west. I was happy -anyone- got rain, but I was frustrated when we weren't getting rain.

This week, we got 4 inches of rain. I don't think we had four inches total in the previous 6-9 months. My horses are cranky, my barn and stalls flooded, my round bales got rained on, my pastures are muddy messes. And I don't care. I am so grateful for rain. The stalls will dry. Before long the pastures will be dry. But maybe some of this rain will soak in and help some.

(I vaguely remember days, long ago, when I complained about too much rain. After the past 2+ years, it is going to be a while before I complain about rain!).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I do not know how many inches we have had lately and more predicted. My stallions are mad and I will not put them out to slide, injure themselves and/or slide into a fence and get loose. Today I had to throw myself on the ground to stop sliding and ending up in the electric fence. ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Isn't it WONDERFUL?

That is nuts that you only got 5" of rain last year! In a normal non drought year should you be getting? Does anything grow there?

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    That is nuts that you only got 5" of rain last year! In a normal non drought year should you be getting? Does anything grow there?

P.
    We are considered semi-desert and grow wonderful short grass prairie grasses on very little.
    Rated at 25 acres/cow, 30/horse, but since we rarely get average moisture and when we do is with some gully washers, not nice soaking rains, we mostly count more acres per animal and of course, as last year, we didn't have any cattle at all, didn't get any rain to speak of for the last two years, so no grass has been growing.
    Looks like this year may be the same, according to the weather service predictions.

Our average is 18 1/2" counting since 1895, but since 1991 we have only had one year above average, most below and several record breaking low, like one year 3 1/2" only.
    I think the last decades are lowering our average considerably.

I wish those getting so much unwanted rain could find a way to SHARE it.

We are not as bad as some, only up to about 8" so far for January but everything is just muddy and gros. The weather man said on Thursday that we would have about 48 hours of dry weather then we woke up to rain on Friday. Gotta love it. Trail ride for next weekend has already been cancelled because there is no way the trails will be rideable.

We have had some drought issues for the last two years but rain now is not helping the crops much.

Gotta love Gulf Coast weather, at least it is not cold (high temp today is 79).

It could be worse, we had a surprise blizzard yesterday. 4" in white out conditions with 40mph winds, and none of it was forecasted! This morning it's -9. Ughhh!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I wish it would rain here instead of the below freezing temperatures we're dealing with right now. The pony colicked yesterday from not drinking enough water so I bought de-icers for the troughs and the gelding was afraid of it. My windshield cracked on the way to the feed store, the geese are mad because I can't fill their wading pool and the grass is all frozen, and the poor ducks have sore feet from the cold ground. They walk around a bit and then lay down for a while, I need to go get some more straw to spread around today. To top things off, we have to continuously break the ice out of their buckets since it is starting to refreeze in a matter of hours. The weather says we have almost a week of this before it stays above freezing overnight. Where is my mild, rainy, Seattle winter?

We are considered semi-desert and grow wonderful short grass prairie grasses on very little.
    Rated at 25 acres/cow, 30/horse, but since we rarely get average moisture and when we do is with some gully washers, not nice soaking rains, we mostly count more acres per animal and of course, as last year, we didn't have any cattle at all, didn't get any rain to speak of for the last two years, so no grass has been growing.
    Looks like this year may be the same, according to the weather service predictions.

Our average is 18 1/2" counting since 1895, but since 1991 we have only had one year above average, most below and several record breaking low, like one year 3 1/2" only.
    I think the last decades are lowering our average considerably.

I wish those getting so much unwanted rain could find a way to SHARE it.

No kidding.

I hear out Aussie friends are dealing with record heat and massive wild firs right now, and their summer hasn't 'heated up' yet...

Then again, last year they had the floods, too...

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

It's been very wet here as well. I got my lawnmower stuck pulling a manure loaded cart yesterday. Had to unhook the cart and pull it out by human power, then go back and rock the lawnmower free.

Weather service says that there is ice storm type weather coming in tomorrow. I can take mud, but ice storms give me the willies.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Crackerdog, we had your weather for a couple of days. Above normal temps, rain/mist and fog. Killed what little snow we had. Now it is horrible winds and temps in the 20's and falling, so everything is icy. I HATE it.

Now it will be cold and no snow to do anything in, and too icy for horses. I'm hoping for decent footing tomorrow where we park at the trainer's.

DH did chores this morning and said the dry lots weren't too slippery. A friend of a friend on FB had to put down a horse bc it broke its leg on the ice.

This wacky weather makes me nervous. I want my normal winters back.