The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Tired of paying $$$$$ For White Lightening??...

Well, I Googled the main ingredient of White Lightening (chlorine dioxide - Similar to Bleach. but not as Caustic) and came up with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000HT7H8W

The Amazon link even offers to let you buy both Oxine AH and Citric Acid (works like Vinegar and can be combined with Oxine and water, to Dilute) for $30 together. Now, a Gallon of Oxine for $24 sure sounds better then what White Lightening costs!

Has anyone used this stuff?

This is old news.

I keep it on my rig and use it as needed. Works as good as White-lightning.

Tom, what is the ratio to mix it?

Is this used for thrush? What else?
    TIA
    PennyG

Well, here I thought I was cool finding stuff Chicken farmers use. Well, to me it's cool, lol. Clearly I need to get our from under my rock more often!! Why isn't this promoted more?

1 gallon water
    4 ounces oxine
    1 tsp citric acid
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

From http://www.healthyhoof.com/articles/...Revisited.html

This extremely popular and very effective solution is something worked on jointly by many members of the Yahoo Barefoothorsecare group, which is my favorite online forum for discussing barefoot horse care. Many of us had tried a variety of methods for managing thrush, and some of the members uncovered Oxine and came up with the formula in conjunction with the manufacturer or the distributor.
    I purchase my Oxine and Citric Acid from Revival Animal Health's Amazon.com store: Oxine AH Gallon by BioCide International (Approx. $25) and Citric Acid (approx. $5)

Oxine is Chlorine Dioxide, a sanitizer used widely in the food processing industry, and it makes an easy and aggressive but safe soaking solution. It's mixed with Citric Acid to activate it, then diluted with water and used in a soaking boot, bag or bucket.

CAUTION: Some horses skin is irritated by the Oxine, so I suggest that care is taken not to mix it too strong or leave the soakers on longer than 20 minutes. We've had reports of horses getting tender from over soaking as well. If you have a sensitive horse, start with a milder solution. Avoid contact with your eyes, and don't inhale the fumes from the activating Oxine!

The dilutions for soaking are:

1 gal water, 4 oz Oxine, 1 tsp citric Acid
    1/2 gal water, 2 oz Oxine,1/2 tsp citric acid
    1 qt water, 1 oz Oxine, 1/4 tsp citric acid

Oxine DOES NOT need to be mixed with Citric Acid to be used! It can be very effective if mixed with water. Citric Acid activation makes it a more powerful soak.

•Clean the horses feet thoroughly, scrub the frog well, trim any shedding or lose frog flaps and put the horses feet in soaking boots
    •If the horse has deep cracks and flaps that can't be removed, push cotton deep enough into the cracks to hold them open while soaking. This cotton will need to be removed later!
    •Mix as much Oxine as you will be able to use immediately. Mix the Oxine and citric acid together and wait exactly 3 minutes for the solution to become active, then add water.
    •Fill the soaking boots to the level of the walls or slightly higher; the objective is to immerse and soak the frog and sole, so I cover the wall but don't fill the whole boot.
    •Soak for 20 minutes, remove boots and rise with water. I suggest daily soaking for 2 or 3 days with monthly treatments as needed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post

Oxine DOES NOT need to be mixed with Citric Acid to be used! It can be very effective if mixed with water. Citric Acid activation makes it a more powerful soak.
    This requires a qualifying statement. IF the pH of the water the person happens to use is slightly alkaline, the efficacy of the solution is greatly reduced if the acid is not added. I think it best to follow the directions on the product label.

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/8404/PDF

my post was just a copy and paste of the website article, so thank you for clarifying!

Interesting stuff!!

For abscesses and seedy toe, we are using Soft Scrub with chlorine/Clorox. Squirt Soft Scrub in the abscess cavity and wash it out thoroughly with the hose. Then, apply more soft scrub to the abscess site, wrap the foot in vetwrap and put the foot in an Easy Boot Rx. Redo this am and pm for several days.

After the few days, we were advised to switch to using epsom salts poultice in the foot, then wrap in vetwrap, am and pm.

I was skeptical when I was advised to do this as an alternative to the expensive chlorine dioxide soak, but it worked for us. I am curious to see if anyone else does this as an alternative to the chlorine dioxide.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

oxine MSDS

deleted the rest of this post since I misread chlorite as hypochlorite and didn't want someone to get bad info if they saw just this and not also the correction in post #15. But my stupidity is recorded for posterity in that post.
    Last edited by Peggy; Dec. 11, 2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Bad reading comprehension
    The Evil Chem Prof

So how does it change the efficacy if you use white vinegar instead of citric acid? And can you use grocery store citric acid?
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

I use white vinegar at 50/50 the same as white lightning. Really I think you just need to drop the PH a few points to get it to start making gas.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    . . . I am curious to see if anyone else does this as an alternative to the chlorine dioxide.
    Chlorine bleach is a necrotizing disinfectant. As such it kills just as much healthy tissue (or more) as it kills microbes. Oxine and/or Clean Trax are non-necrotizing. They kill the bad stuff and leave the good.

Same thing goes for Chlorhexidine. It is one of the most effective treatments for rain rot, scratches, skin funk, athletes foot (yea really it kills athletes foot faster and better than Tinactin or any other OTC product sold as a cure) and makes a great surgical scrub.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Ah, so oxine is just sodium hypochlorite, NaClO. The citric acid will react with the NaClO to make hypochlorous acid, HClO, which is presumably the active ingredient or the "activated" form. If your water is on the basic side, the ratio of HClO and ClO- might not be high enough

Bleach is NaClO and NaOH. So all ClO-

An interesting comparison to Vetricin, which appears to be a hypochlorous acid plus NaCl with a phosphate buffer.

I am really in the wrong business.
    Peggy,
    As a chemistry geek, just wanted to set the record straight. Your chemistry is correct that sodium hypochlorite is NaClO (household/laundry bleach), and that acidification of that will make hypochlorous acid which is HClO. (HClO equilibrates with chlorine, Cl2, favoring chlorine as pH becomes more acidic.) But Oxine is chlorite, NaClO2, not hypochlorite, and acidification leads to chlorous acid, HClO2, which equilibrates strongly toward chlorine dioxide, ClO2, even at mildly acidic pH. ClO2 is a "bleach" in the technical sense, an oxidizer that can decolorize colored materials, but different from houshold bleach.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by HipPoe View Post
    Peggy,
    As a chemistry geek, just wanted to set the record straight. Your chemistry is correct that sodium hypochlorite is NaClO (household/laundry bleach), and that acidification of that will make hypochlorous acid which is HClO. (HClO equilibrates with chlorine, Cl2, favoring chlorine as pH becomes more acidic.) But Oxine is chlorite, NaClO2, not hypochlorite, and acidification leads to chlorous acid, HClO2, which equilibrates strongly toward chlorine dioxide, ClO2, even at mildly acidic pH. ClO2 is a "bleach" in the technical sense, an oxidizer that can decolorize colored materials, but different from houshold bleach.
    Thank you for correcting my bad reading. My brain is addled by too much grading and inserted a hypo in front of the chlorite. Plus we just did a lab where we used bleach and acid to generate chlorine gas so that was on my brain as well. Chlorine dioxide makes more sense than diatomic chlorine.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I'm confused - NOT A CHEMIST and hated chemistry as a subject.

I was just about to order white lightning for new horse with thrush and saw this thread. I hate dealing with amazon so

can someone tell me the idiot proof alternative to WL and where to order( I hope not amazon).

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    I'm confused - NOT A CHEMIST and hated chemistry as a subject.

I was just about to order white lightning for new horse with thrush and saw this thread. I hate dealing with amazon so

can someone tell me the idiot proof alternative to WL and where to order( I hope not amazon).
    Just google oxine or Bio-cide. You will find it on several livestock supply websites.