The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Downton Abby Lab

I just watched Downton Abby, season 3 first episode, and noticed the lovely yellow lab who plays Isis, Lord Grantham's lab bitch, seems to be a different animal, much finer, longer head. I hope nothing happened to the previous Isis.

Anybody else notice this? She was only in two brief scenes, one indoors where Lord Grantham was stroking her head, and one brief scene outdoors.

I think you might be right. I remember the old Isis having a squarer head.

Edited to add: Apparently within the story there were two dogs. Pharoah was the dog in the first series/season, but the dog (named Roly in real life) didn't get along with the resident pack at Highclere. Isis (played by Ellie) was then introduced in series/season 2 and has been the same dog since.
    Last edited by RdEventer; Jan. 11, 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: New information

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I knew the first one had been a male, which is the one in the opening credits.

Do you know whether Ellie is playing Isis in Season 3? She sure looked different to me.

I wonder if they used Egyptian names on purpose? I just learned that one of Earls of Carnarvon was heavily involved in the discovery of King Tut's tomb. How cool is that!

The Earl of Carnavon in Edwardian times actually did discover King Tut's tomb and Highclere housed many of the artifacts and some were well hidden, and just recently discovered by the current Earl, the great grandson; the current earl also had replicas made of the artifacts originally stored in the castle.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    The Earl of Carnavon in Edwardian times actually did discover King Tut's tomb and Highclere housed many of the artifacts and some were well hidden, and just recently discovered by the current Earl, the great grandson; the current earl also had replicas made of the artifacts originally stored in the castle.
    Well, he didn't actually discover King Tut's tomb; he funded the excavations of Howard Carter.

The second lab seemed a bit rolypoly, could stand to lose a few pounds. I would think a farm/estate dog would be leaner, with so much outdoor acess time.

But Mrs. Patmore is always giving out treats....

Isis is so darn adorable I'm sure Mrs. Patmore's not the only one slipping her treats...

I thought Isis looked different now (Season 3), too. Will have to keep my eyes peeled! As long as Thomas doesn't lock her in a shed again, the jerk...

I didn't see her at all in Episode 2! Do we need "Bring Back Isis" T -shirts?

(I understand there are "Free Bates" t-shirts!)

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    I didn't see her at all in Episode 2! Do we need "Bring Back Isis" T -shirts?

(I understand there are "Free Bates" t-shirts!)

http://3.media.bustedtees.cvcdn.com/...6-677825e0.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aAEfeFE9Nv...free+bates.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...aqio1_1280.jpg

Honestly, I was wondering if that was a subtle indication it's yet another dog, as in-story Isis would be rather old by now.

Speaking of the current Earl's great-grandfather and the King Tut digs, another dog connection: that Lord Carnarvon died in Egypt (of an infected mosquito bite or the CURSE OF TUTANKHAMON, either way) at the same time as he died, back at home at Highclere his beloved dog sat up, howled horribly, and fell over dead. True facts. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Honestly, I was wondering if that was a subtle indication it's yet another dog, as in-story Isis would be rather old by now.

Speaking of the current Earl's great-grandfather and the King Tut digs, another dog connection: that Lord Carnarvon died in Egypt (of an infected mosquito bite or the CURSE OF TUTANKHAMON, either way) at the same time as he died, back at home at Highclere his beloved dog sat up, howled horribly, and fell over dead. True facts. Coincidence?
    I wondered about that, he did not call her Isis by name.....but thought only a year or so went by, but maybe more, between Season two and Three. Isis looked pretty spry in Season Two.

That is remarkable about Lord Carnarvon's dog! Do you know what breed that dog was?

I think they said (in the PBS special about Highclere) that the dog was a female Jack Russell, but I could be wrong. Definitely a spooky story!