The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tess and me.

A whole lot of you have set yourselves up for critiques. Until now, I did not have any youtube videos that were worth a look.

When RNS video offered their Christmas Special, I took advantage of it. This video was taken at The KY Classique. Even though I became so dehydrated after running cross country that I ended up in the hospital for six days, I bought this one. I wanted to see us go through The Head of the Lake, so I purchased our dressage and cross country runs.

Tess was diagnosed with a .5 lameness, which we treated for EPM. She had only been on the EPM gel for a couple of weeks, when this video was taken. She was put on Marquis, after the gel did not seem to help.

Things that I know about our dressage test. I hold my hands too low. After we make the turn in the canter, Tess does a lateral canter. I believe that this was EPM related, because she is better able to keep it true now. We need more stretch in the free walk. I would appreciate any suggestions to help that!

Sinead Halpin worked on my galloping position. I do realize that I am hitting Tess in the back every stride. I am working on fixing that bad habit.

Well, great. I cannot figure out how to direct link it to the video. If you have the time, you can go to www.youtube.com and type in Lowelle Messner & Tessies Brite Star Kentucky Classic Horse Trials 2012. If anyone knows how to do a direct link, would you mind showing me how? A Tech Geek, I am not.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RygkAyuhv2c

You look great and I love your mare. If I had to quibble I'd say you are a good candidate for a jumping strap on XC. On a few fences - not all of them - you had a tendency to get left and hit your mare in the face and back. You don't have to use the grab strap for every fence, just the ones where you get to them a little awkwardly.

I think you're a lovely pair and so well suited to each other! I'm gad she is doing better with her EPM. And I'm so jealous you got to ride through the head of the lake.

Here is the link:
    http://youtu.be/RygkAyuhv2c
    Lowelle Messner & Tessies Brite Star Kentucky Classic Horse Trials 2012

Well I can hardly find any fault! Your dressage was beautiful, rhythmic, soft, and I would just keep your eyes up a slight bit more and a slight bit more leg at the canter to keep it as together as the trot!

The cross country was spectacular! I didn't see any bad distances at all !!! And you got to jump thru the Head of the Lake!!! I am soooooo jealous! Wow!!!
    I think I am going to put Kentucky on my list of Events To Do Before I Die, thanks to your video!

I love it, I have no criticism, just think you look terrific and what a nice, nice, nice horse you have! You already know your problems so no point in reiterating what you know. I think you're a nice pair. Oh the only other thing I would add is a neck strap bec. I like them for XC. But if you've been to a Sinead clinic you might have been familiar with that.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Things that I know about our dressage test. I hold my hands too low. After we make the turn in the canter, Tess does a lateral canter. I believe that this was EPM related, because she is better able to keep it true now. We need more stretch in the free walk. I would appreciate any suggestions to help that!

You look great. I'm NOT a DQ by any means. But I struggled with the free walk for a long time to. I see you do what I used to do...put them on a loose rein. What I learned was...don't do that Keep her connected and allow her to stretch down (don't just drop her onto a loose rein)...and encourage her with your legs (alternating each leg in rhythm with her walk).

I love you mare--you two are a nice pair! Loved all the "good girl" on xc
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

You look like you are having so much fun and I love the balance and rhythm that you have out xc. If I had to say anything at all it would be that a slightly shorter stirrup would help to stabilize your lower leg (looks like it swings a bit when you got tired) and keep you up off her back.

Would love to know the tips you got from Sinead about staying up.

She looks like a fun mare.

What a lovely little mare!!
    Lovely test, And I should do half that well on Cross Country. >I thought you looked a bit tired on Cross Country.. Like you said, dehydration! Yikes.
    You two are really a nice team good luck !
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Your mare has a FABULOUS tail! First thing I noticed I thought you two looked great.

Glad she's doing better with the EPM!

To me this is what eventing is all about. A great time and a great partnership!
    Truthfully just to be out on that course where the greats have ridden.. So very very fun!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I haven't evented for almost 20 years now, but your video makes me want to go out and do it again. That IS what it's all about! You know what you need to fix, so just ... Lovely!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Thank you for all of your comments. I do appreciate them.

Galloping position: Sinead had us stand straight up in our stirrups (done at the halt first) and feel what part of our leg was engaged. Then, she had us make a bridge with the reins and use it to support our upper bodies. She says that until you are on the approach to the fence, your heels should not be down. As you make your approach, you drop the weight into your heels and lower your seat into the "c" seat position. When you do this, you do not change the pace of the horse, but change the balance. As soon as you are over the fence, your horse should continue the forward and you return to the galloping position.

Stirrup length: I tried to ride with my stirrups shorter. I have a long femur. When I raise them up one hole, my knee is in front of the knee flap. If Tess takes an extra stride and I get ahead of her, I have a tendancy to do Denny's immitation of a helocopter, land on her neck on the other side of the jump and usually fall off.

Unfortunately, the saddle that I had made for Tess and me is not a forward flap. Even though I explained to the saddle maker that I needed a forward flap, he chose to make it his way. When I asked him why he made it without the forward flap, he told me, "Eventers are riding with a longer stirrup these days." Since my DH had it made for my Christmas present, I did not want to make a fuss.

My BO has a Wise Air that is my size, with the extra forward flap, and she has offered to let me try it at an event. I would have to change the gullet from a Narrow to a Wide, but it would be worth it to get my stirrup length where I know that it should be!

Tessie's tail: When I bought her at age 3, she had this fabulous tail, but hardly any forelock. She will be 14 in March. Her tail is still fabulous and I have never done any shortening to her forelock. It is the same length as the day that she came home with me. Go figure? A friend of mine used to tell everyone at the barn where we boarded that I permed Tessie's tail. The wavy is because I only brush it for shows and it stays in dreadlocks, when I do not brush it.

BFNE,
    I will give your suggestion to help our free walk a try. We have been getting 8's and 9's on our halt at the end of our tests. Now, if we could get the score on the walk to go up....

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Your mare has a FABULOUS tail! First thing I noticed I thought you two looked great.

Glad she's doing better with the EPM!
    First thing I noticed too
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

your mare is a-freaking-dorable!

That was great! Thanks for sharing, you two are super together.

(and the quarter marks were beautiful)
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I think you could calibrate a metronome off her rhythm xcountry! Very smooth. Nice video, one I'm sure you will treasure.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I am not an eventer but that looks like you were having a boatload of fun going XC! Your mare is a real sweetie and you looked great! Thanks for sharing the video
    That's too bad about your custom saddle, honestly I would not worry about hurting your DH's feelings and instead take it up again with the saddle maker. There is no point in a custom saddle if it does not fit you perfectly, and I bet your DH would be crushed to know the saddle works great except for one major detail.

Most Excellent! Pleasure to watch, extremely well done.

Looking FABULOUS girl!! Wish we could have seen your stadium BUT I'm so glad you are ALRIGHT!

I appreciate all of your comments.

Riderboy and Gryhrs,
    DH certainly could not have done the rest of the day without your help. We will never forget what you did for me after the dehydration took hold. If you EVER need anything, then we will be there for you.

Having fun is about what eventing should be. So many folks have tried to get me to move up to Novice, because Tess is more than ready to do so. I am happy where I am riding in BN. If I want a challenge, then I will work toward the BN 3-day at Southern 8ths Farm. However, I am worried that my history with dehydration may prevent that from happening. Are you allowed to ride with a camelback on roads and tracks? Otherwise, the 10 minute box might have me getting IV fluids, while Tess gets cooled down.

In my second post, I did not quite finish my comments on Sinead's galloping position. I tried to post them yesterday, but they froze up and would not post. Sinead said to let the weight sink into your heels, allow your joints to become shock absorbers, lift your shoulders and let your seat become the "C" seat. The rhythm of your horses' pace should not change, but his balance will. If your horse becomes naughty, then push your heels and leg more forward and scoot your seat to the back of your saddle. This will be more of a safety seat, which will allow for you to maintain a straight line from shoulder, hip and heel.

Does this make sense? I know what she said and how to do it, but fear that my explanation might not be quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Riderboy and Gryhrs,
    If you EVER need anything, then we will be there for you.
    Don't throw this out lightly! Given our track record - we'll probably cash in on this sooner rather than later!!
    Last edited by Gryhrs; Jan. 12, 2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Didn't delete enuf

I think it looked lovely!