The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remember there are several levels of the Amigo line. I have noticed their 600D line does not hold up very well, but I have liked my 1200D sheet and neck cover.

The Weatherbeeta line is actually pretty decent, and they have a selection of levels of toughness and attached and detachable neck options.

Tackoftheday has a 1200D attached neck turnout on sale this weekend for under $100 Can't vouch for the quality of the Saxon brand, and it is a 300g version.

Dover Northwind comes in a 1680d with attached neck.
    Shires Stormcheeta also comes in 1680d with attached neck.
    Schneiders (www.sstack.com) has a new Artic that has the attached neck as well.

I would purchase either one of those! My horse laughs at Rhinos so there is no way I would ever consider an Amigo. I might as well stand there and shred the money myself!
    Cindy

1 members found this post helpful.

I've had good luck with rhino and amigo.

Note: Rhino mediums are warmer than amigo mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by InstigatorKate View Post
    Remember there are several levels of the Amigo line. I have noticed their 600D line does not hold up very well, but I have liked my 1200D sheet and neck cover.
    I think this is an important distinction.

Also, last year apparently there were some defective Amigo Mios that leaked right out of the bag. The problem had something to do with seams and was fixed. I had a mio that was problem free, but apparently some of the old ones had issues. I think Horseware took them back, no problem.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Originally Posted by InstigatorKate
    Remember there are several levels of the Amigo line. I have noticed their 600D line does not hold up very well, but I have liked my 1200D sheet and neck cover

I would never buy any rug with 600Denier. That's just asking for trouble with my horses.

1200 denier is the minimum, whatever the brand.

I really like my Saxon combo neck. It's on its third winter (admittedly my guys aren't particularly rough) and it's very waterproof. I have the purple plaid one-- pretty on my chestnut geldings

My Amigo XL was 1200 denier, and my horse had it destroyed in two months...
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Have an Amigo XL and it has been great. I really like the EOUS line a lot. It comes with a 3 yr. guarantee. These really are great buys for the money. I wish the Centaur line fit my tank, but it does better on narrow horses.

Ugh, the ONE time I deviated from my Rambo's, and found a "too cheap to pass up" Amigo 1200D turnout, it had a huge rip the very next morning out of the bag. It went back to Smartpak who gave me a credit towards another Rambo

Do check Smartpak clearances (and other sites), the Rambo's do pop up for GOOD prices, especially come spring.

Must add that the Pessoa Alpines have worn like iron for me as well, lasting many seasons with the only major complaint being color fading.

I have never had an issues with 1200D Amigos and I have them for several of my horses, including one who can be rough on blankets. I have had 600D blankets rip. I don't buy those for anyone but the very gentle on blankets pony!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have several Rhinos, for 2 horses in 3 different weights. Perfect fit, no rubbing at all on either horse. All are still waterproof after several washings. (On the other hand, I'll never buy anything made by Smartpak after an awful experience with a bridle.)

OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have a british brand: Royston/William Funnell blanket that is AMAZING and you can occasionally find at US retailers. The quality of the blanket far exceeds even Rambo and the price is quite competitive ($100-200 cheaper). They pop up on Ebay from time to time or you can search under "William Funnell" and "rugs" (not blankets ) and find them.
    http://www.anythingequine.co.uk/hors...ck-supreme-rug
    That is a link to one of their lighter blankets. I have the heavier one that is 1680 denier and 400 grams of fill.
    Last edited by rockfordbuckeye; Jan. 14, 2013 at 09:57 PM.