The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cheaper alternative to Rambo Plus Medium turnout?

Love the Rambos! Like the attached neck, no back seam, no leg straps, durable, 1200d. Hate the $360 price tag! Any good alternatives?

The Amigo line seems to be the obvious choice..

Except Amigos quality is suspect. The one I bought last year was never waterproof. My horse was wet the first time he got rained on in it (the 2nd or 3rd wearing).

I don't know many other brands that do the attached neck like Rambo. I was a huge fan of Rambos, but have fallen head over heels for the Smartpak turnouts. I also have always loved Shires, especially the Stormcheeta. Those would be my two go to brands. Both DO come with leg straps, but that's easily remedied by taking them off and putting on a tail strap.

Bit of Britain has a 20% off Horseware sale this week
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Yes, I'm not an Amigo fan either. Amanda, which specific Smartpak ones do you like?

I'm a big Rambo fan, but have had very good luck with some Dover products. I have Supreme turnouts which have lasted for years and remain waterproof. Not sure what they offer in hooded products.
    You may have some luck finding used Rambos on Craigslist or your local USEA classified site.

Dover is also having a Horseware sale http://www.doversaddlery.com/horseware-ireland/c/B52/
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Rhino? I bought a Rambo Wug for my horse years ago and was going to buy another for the next horse, but ended up with a Rhino Wug because the shop didn't have his size in the Rambos. I was just as happy with the Rhino as the Rambo - maybe happier because it was a lot less expensive!

I've had four Rhinos. I did buy a Rambo again, but it was barely used and priced lower than the comparable Rhino (there's that money thing again ).

I haven't had any issues with the Amigo with neckrug that I bought this fall. I can't speak to durability yet though.

Dover has Rhino mid-necks on sale for $139. I don't need one. But I want one!
    Click here before you buy.

Rhinos...I've got one that's 14 years old & thought it's got two 2" sq. patches, they are both in irrelevant places to affect waterproofability

Having said that, I've got a Rambo heavy that's 20 years old. Well worth the initial cost.

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

The Smartpak Thinsulate is a nicely-made alternative for about $130
    It does have leg straps, but you could remove them.

My pony's is 3 years old now and looks brand new, but I rarely blanket so I can't vouch for durability if worn frequently.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by lovemytbs View Post
    Yes, I'm not an Amigo fan either. Amanda, which specific Smartpak ones do you like?
    I have a "Classic" sheet and the "Deluxe" high neck. Both are very good, but my preference is for the Deluxe. I am considering buying him a second one in heavy. You also get the Deluxe in a regular cut plus a neck rug. I am trying to convince Smartpak to make a neck rug in a no fill version so I can replace the Amigo!

Amigo! Love love love my midweight Amigo. So far has stood up to my geldings rough play and rolling. Has stayed waterproof in pouring rain all day. Mine came with a neck cover but I rarely use it. The fit at the chest is perfect for my wide QH, no other blanket I've found will not rub. Even the new Rambos with the V closure or whatever it is called seem too narrow for him.

ETA: I've owned all 3 lines in the Horseware brand. The Rambo is definitely the best made IMO. If you want something that will wear like iron and has all the "extras" like reflective tape and a 3rd belly surcingle then they are definitely worth the high price tag. I've never had a lot of luck with Rhinos. The first one I got was one of the green plaid ones, worked well until one day it was in shreds, no idea why, my guy was out with one other horse and that horse wasn't a blanket biter. Second Rhino had a front surcingle ripped off after a few months of use. My Amigo is on its second season and looks nearly new.

I've also owned sstack blankets, I HATE them with a passion. Ill fitting, shoulder rubs galore, sheets don't stay waterproof, ripped shoulder gussets, I was pulling my hair out when i used them.
    Last edited by SAcres; Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

I've also had great luck with the Amigo - fits well and is durable...my guy plays hard and both his heavy and mid-weight are still looking great.

I used to be a fan of the high priced, big name blankets. But then I discovered The Tough One, sold by Chicks Saddlery.

The shape is good, they last as long as any other blanket (except Rambos -- I will admit that Rambo's last longer than I want to own one, but I can't rationalize buying a new blanket when the old one still keeps a horse warm).

And The Tough One makes the best neck covers ever.

I have no financial interest in the brand -- I just fell across it several years ago. And now I am a fan.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I've had one Rhino and it was absolutely useless!! Rain soaked right through, never again!!!

My horse and I both love our Amigo Bravo 12 midweight. It fits very well, doesn't move, and the waterproofing on mine is great. It has an available hood, but I've never purchased it.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I've only had one Rhino, and am not a fan. The fit is okay (some shoulder/neck rubbing), but the durability has been bad.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My horse shredded his Amigo while in his stall. It was about 3 months old. Time to take that one off the list...
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever