The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Be thankful it's not Patek Philippe. "Hey, you going to Patek Philippe this year?"
    Ooooo. A watch I love even more than a Rolex!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Do we all agree that it's time for eventing to end its 'partnership' with the FEI?
    Last edited by JER; Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:35 PM.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Do we all agree that it's time for eventing to end it's 'partnership' with the FEI?
    If only
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Do we all agree that it's time for eventing to end it's 'partnership' with the FEI?
    That was my thought too.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post

Good for Rolex Watch USA sticking with --damn, what do you call it if not Rolex?
    "Kentucky 3 day event"

Rolex's statement makes is sound like they are saying "screw you too FEI, we'll sponsor other areas of equestrian." And since Rolex is the EVENT sponsor of Rolex, I don't see how FEI could ban that. Just like car companies have sponsored badminton and burley while Rolex was the FEI sponsor, it had nothing to so the FEI title sponsor.

Like Altech sponsoring the WEG even when Rolex was the FEI title sponsor. So what for Rolex, they got the short end if you ask me. They seemed pretty limited to FEI sponsored championships like the World Cup (and I bet they charged Rolex extra too.)

It sounds like this just means more money to go around if Rolex moves to other equine event sponsorships.

And I agree, when ever I can afford a nice watch, it will be a Rolex!

Are my horses allowed to vote so we can get three votes on that one?

Honestly we know nothing of the "long time partnership" with Rolex. It is possible they have not been supporting equestrian events with the kind of cash that modern and current sponsors have been. Rather than be sad for the loss of Rolex, I'd wait and find out what kind of money and deals were in contention. It's possible more money in a big way will help all horse sport going forward; perhaps the old sponsor was holding them back with reluctance on new initiatives, or something else. We don't really know. Just sayin'.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I wont go into which is going to have more money for sponsorship, but I will say this. The FEI is really not working. I dont begin to understand the politics involved, but its not doing much to help our sport! Or the US.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Then there is this bit of news. I would love to know what kind of rules the FEI was putting in place to make it so hard to an international organizer to complete. The other curiosity would be where are they thinking of going since Las Vegas is not a lock... Granted it is not directly eventing related, but from the nose bleed seats it sure looks like FEI is continuing it process of consolidating power in the equestrian world. Not sure that is a good thing.

I realize this may be a troll thought, but when I read the Rolex news, I thought about the FEI rule just passed about where one can compete. Since "Rolex Kentucky" may soon not be on the FEI calendar, since the FEI is dictating more to National Organizations, at what point will USEF pull support for Rolex Kentucky and Rolex picks up its toys and goes home. This all seems so....seemy.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    Agreed.
    yep...

sounds like underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Lonh- geen, with a soft slurred g.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Something does seem rather fishy. Guadalajara just hosted the Pan Am Games. So it's got to have reasonably decent facilities in place. Bet they just weren't able to come up with immediate cash demanded by the FEI. Or perhaps the FEI let the Pan Am Games go on in substandard facilities (footing?)

As to eventing in Lexington, Rolex Watch USA is not quite the same as Rolex Watch International. The Lexington event will continue to be an FEI 4*, not a national event, and at least it has a commitment from Rolex Watch USA for this year.

I certainly hope that Rolex corporate doesn't decide to pull all its funds from FEI recognized events (as opposed to FEI owned events) in the future.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire