The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Eventing near Saratoga Springs, NY

I am most likely going to be going to Skidmore College this fall and will be bringing my green event horse with me. I have been researching the area and have been having a hard time finding any local eventing barns or trainers. Does anyone know of a trainer in the area or facilities for schooling? I'd like to continue with his eventing during college, but the school's team has a focus on IHSA and hunter/jumper riding. Thank you!

The local GMO is ENYDCTA. If you check out their website you may find something. In general it's not a big eventing area.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

No, not a big eventing area but you will be relatively close to ENYDCTA and Larkin Hill. Those are probably the two closest events and they both hosts clinics, schooling shows, and host xc schoolings in addition to their recognized events. Not sure they would be close enough for you to board/lesson there regularly, however. (Also, ENYDCTA does not have a barn/boarding/training program anyway, they just host things.)
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

I am originally from the Saratoga area and I now live in Louisville. Marcia Kulak is in Scotia which is about 20 minutes from Skidmore. She is a top event rider/trainer in the country and also rides/trains hunters. She has a beautiful farm and is an awesome instructor and a great person. She does go south for a few months in the winter to Wellington but is a great resource. She has a good friend in Chatham, Margie Hutchinson who owns/runs Larkin Hill. It is a top notch facility and she is a top notch rider/trainer as well. Chatham is about an hour southeast of Saratoga though but she is well worth the trip. Area 1 is a great area to event in with events running Spring, summer and fall in Vermont, Mass, NY, NH and CT. ENDYCTA is the local organization that has a local horsetrial (in Chatham) and has tons of schooling stuff as well. I am sure if you call Marcia or Margie and let them know that you are at Skidmore and are looking for some help/direction-they would be glad to talk to you and help get you started in that area! Good luck!

Hi!

I loved Skidmore! I rode on the team and was introduced to both foxhunting and eventing while I was there Now I ride with Margie at Larkin Hill and supplement that with Betsy Worthington (Three Winds) jumper lessons when I can. Both are great barns with different focuses. They are both about 45-60 minutes away from Saratoga. Eric Horgan is in the area a lot, especially at Larkin Hill and he is great with green event horses. You should definitely check out our hunt club in Chatham while you are in the area. We have lots of opportunities for horsey fun and if you are newbie to hunting we have a great intro system. PM me and I can get more specific. Congrats on Skidmore, you will have a blast!!

Marcia Kulak is very good and probably the closest. I can't say enough about Three Winds Farm (Betsy Worthington, who posts here) but her farm is a bit far from Skidmore and in college, a long drive can be a drain. Marcia is an eventer, Betsy does mainly jumpers but encourages her riders to do as much as they can with their horses. (She hunts and encourages her clients to try it.)

Both Marcia and Betsy spend some time in FLA each winter.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Thank you!! Super informative, i'll be sure to check them out