The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those who breed three year olds...

If you breed your mare as a three year old, how long should one wait to send the horse off the farm for training or shows? I keep telling myself I'm not going to breed my mare this year, so consider it a rhetorical question.

If I did, I would like to still send her out for 90 days under saddle.

TIA!
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

My three year-olds are all in training while being bred. You just don't want to haul them long distances, subject them to undue stress for the first couple of months.

I assume you do your own training at home then? That isn't possible in my case. Mmmm.

I send mine to my trainer and she starts them. Once they have been under saddle a month or two, they are sent to be bred (usually an overnight clinic stay). They then stay in training for another 4-6 months. We do not show them at that age, so the only hauling around will be to breed them. I am lucky to have a trainer who is knowledgeable about breeding mares and doesn't mind helping to get them bred while in training.

2 members found this post helpful.

I posted a thread about this too.. so hard to decide. I am starting mine in March and am very tempted to breed her but also want to breed two other mares this year and three is a bit much for me. I want to do it now rather than interupt her training later though...
    It would be a second generation breeding for me which would be so exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    I posted a thread about this too.. so hard to decide. I am starting mine in March and am very tempted to breed her but also want to breed two other mares this year and three is a bit much for me. I want to do it now rather than interupt her training later though...
    It would be a second generation breeding for me which would be so exciting!
    I am breeding a three year old this year as well. Resulting foal will be the third generation of program, woohoo! My plan is to start my mare under saddle in May, breed in June and then keep her going until the weather turns bad in the fall. As long as you are not hauling her LONG distances for training, I think you should be just fine. How far away is your trainer's place?

I have bred mine and then sent them off to the trainer's place between 45-60 days along. Trainer is 2 hours from my farm. I usually leave them there for about 3 months and then they come home and are off until after foaling. It was worked well for me.
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post
    How far away is your trainer's place?
    Well she is currently boarded 45 minutes north of my place and the trainer is 40 minutes west of my house. Vet clinic if I go the frozen route, is right by her current boarding barn.

I guess this would be my second generation as well.

I am also torn on this, though mine isn't a 3 year old. She will be bred April/May, and I would like to keep her going and possibly show lightly. She lives at home, and is a seasoned traveler, so no undue stress going to shows... but I am terrified to risk the pregnancy!

Default We regularly breed our 3 yr olds and start them

But we do both jobs here at the farm. Well we do haul for breeding to the vet hosp about 25 miles away, but that's just one or two trips.

I have not had any problems doing this.

And it sure helps if you decide to ride them later in life that they have already been started.

The mare I ma riding now, Peony, was bred as a 3,4 and 5 yr old and is now starting her dressage career, and she's doing great.

I don't compete them once they are pregnant, we mostly just trail ride them at the point.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

I send my to the trainer and then breed, so they are used to the trainer's routine (limiting stress). I only do a light backing, so they are not there long and are home a few months into the pregnancy.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook