The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New to MD, need advice on natural horsemanship location

Hi Everyone, I am new to horse culture and to the neighborhood. My family just moved here from Texas where my 7 year old daughter started her riding experience with a Parelli-style teacher - barefoot horse, no bit, and sometimes bareback to start with. She is desperate to develop a relationship with a horse here in MD and wants to continue in this style. I want her to work in the stable for her lessons so that she does not develop a princess mentality about horsemanship. Perhaps a horse rescue is the place to start? I have been looking on the web, typing in "natural horsemanship" but cannot seem to find the right place. We live near the University of Maryland and I am willing to do some driving to help her find the right fit. Any ideas/recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna View Post
    Hi Everyone, I am new to horse culture and to the neighborhood. My family just moved here from Texas where my 7 year old daughter started her riding experience with a Parelli-style teacher - barefoot horse, no bit, and sometimes bareback to start with. She is desperate to develop a relationship with a horse here in MD and wants to continue in this style. I want her to work in the stable for her lessons so that she does not develop a princess mentality about horsemanship. Perhaps a horse rescue is the place to start? I have been looking on the web, typing in "natural horsemanship" but cannot seem to find the right place. We live near the University of Maryland and I am willing to do some driving to help her find the right fit. Any ideas/recommendations?
    Why not look in the Parelli website for any of their licensed instructors local to you?

2 members found this post helpful.

Just an FYI - most (not all) people on this board don't care for Parelli. I second Bluey's suggestion that you go on a Parelli board if that's what you want.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll be interested to see the responses. You're in a fairly "horsey" area. I'm new to the area as well and have been looking at a lot of barns. I have yet to run across anything NH based. Your daughter might really enjoy expanding her horizons and riding with some talented folks though. I wouldn't get too hung up on the NH thing. I'm sure there's someone out there doing it, but if you want to get her back into horses sooner rather than later, I'd take advantage of some of the great programs available here.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

6 members found this post helpful.

I've been boarding in PG County on and off for the past 9 years and only know of one or two barns in the Southern Maryland area where there are some boarders who practice NH. Unfortunately, neither barn is a place where I would EVER board either of my horses. Not because of the NH people, but because of the low quality facilities or crappy management. OK, I kind of lie...the one guy is someone I used to board with. Nice guy, but randomly ran his horse around our indoor and into your path, which made it VERY difficult to school dressage movements in there at the same time he was there!

It seems to me that during my incessent Googling of barns throughout Maryland (I am a freak in that I like to know what I can about as many barns in the area as possible, because one always needs a plan A, B, and C), I may have come across a couple of places in the Frederick or Westminster areas that mentioned Natural Horsemanship on their websites. You could always check out The Equiery and see if they have anything listed there. But as BuddyRoo said, it might be fun for your daughter to "expand her horizons" and experiment a little bit. There's something new and interesting to learn from every discipline and it might help make her even more well-rounded as a horseman. Good luck!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

The only one I think has anything Parelli like is Paradise Stables in Frederick. I know nothing about them except what's on their website.
    You do know that you can have a "relationship" with your horse without resorting to Parelli? You would be better off finding a good regular trainer. Honestly, I have not seen anything good come from the big P.
    You are what you dare.

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't think that volunteer opportunities are going to be easy to come by for her at her age as far as a rescue or whatever due to liability stuff. But you can certainly try.

I would also keep in mind that here, most riders are in English disciplines.

I grew up riding Western disciplines but after I left TX, the area I moved to (MI) didn't seem to have a lot of Western type places that I felt comfortable with. After my BuddyRoo passed, I switched disciplines and started taking lessons English--H/J, dressage, etc. Super fun. Learned a lot of stuff.

I think that Pony Club type lesson programs cover a lot of great bases. The kids have fun but they also learn a lot about horse husbandry which is applicable throughout your life as a horse person. http://frederick.ponyclub.org

I wish such things had been available in my area as a kid!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I had a brief discussion at the dog park with a woman who adores natural horsemanship - she got a little emotional and loopy in her exultations about it - and apparently - based on her statements - there are trainers around here who use it but I couldn't tell you who they are because I had not heard of any trainers using it around here before that conversation.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Not sure how far you want to travel. Hideaway Horse Center is wonderful. Not sure about the Natural Horsemanship side of it. A friend of mine teaches over there. I am actually going over tomorrow to be photographer for some lessons being given at a clinic. Call April. I love her to pieces.

http://www.hideawayhorsecenter.com/
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna View Post
    You want a stable to allow your 7 year old daughter to work for lessons??? . I don't think I would want a child of mine to ride at a stable that would do this.

ETA -I wonder if this is a regular poster who is rather bored today.
    Last edited by RockinHorse; Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: additional thought
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    You want a stable to allow your 7 year old daughter to work for lessons??? . I don't think I would want a child of mine to ride at a stable that would do this.

ETA -I wonder if this is a regular poster who is rather bored today.
    Crossed my mind, "princess mentality", indeed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Why is it that a horse has to have no bit in its mouth, no shoes on its hooves, no saddle on its back, and be hit over the head with a stick for it to develop a relationship of trust with its rider?

The world wonders.......

22 members found this post helpful.

Something I heard at a semi recent clinic when someone asked the clinician about his opinion of natural horsemanship. He said once you ride/domesticate them, it is not natural anymore. So in his opinion, there is no such thing as natural horsemanship. Just thought that was an interesting way of looking at it.

13 members found this post helpful.

I suggest Pony Club or 4H to get a good start on horsemanship and finding just a good trainer who is used to working with kids in general. The group leaders and the parents of the other members can probably point you in the right direction.

marylandregion.ponyclub.org

www.4hhorse.umd.edu
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

8 members found this post helpful.

I don't think you need NH to develop a connection with a horse and you certainly don't need to your 7y/o to work in the barn to keep her from becoming a princess.

I taught lessons for a few years and don't condone a princess attitude. Because I don't, all my students went to fetch their horse with me in the pasture, they groomed, picked feet, tacked up (did as much as they were capable of) and following their lesson they untacked, groomed again, helps give a bath if necessary, put hoof dressing on hooves, and packed them if needed.

That's definitely my idea of an all inclusive lesson. Not just getting on, riding, and getting off.

I also had them clean tack sometimes.

Your best bet would be to find a smaller lesson barn. They tend to be a little more one on one and don't make it an assembly line process.

There is no such thing as "Natural Horsemanship" unless you have lots of land and they are just allowed to run free.

Anything we do with a horse in unnatural.

Man I hate those two words together!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

4 members found this post helpful.

Another vote that if you want Parelli look at the Parelli site for certified instructors in your area. I assume PP has a list some where on his site for such things.
    I have to agree you are not likely to find a barn that will allow a 7yo to work off lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    I don't think you need NH to develop a connection with a horse and you certainly don't need to your 7y/o to work in the barn to keep her from becoming a princess.

I taught lessons for a few years and don't condone a princess attitude. Because I don't, all my students went to fetch their horse with me in the pasture, they groomed, picked feet, tacked up (did as much as they were capable of) and following their lesson they untacked, groomed again, helps give a bath if necessary, put hoof dressing on hooves, and packed them if needed.

That's definitely my idea of an all inclusive lesson. Not just getting on, riding, and getting off.

I also had them clean tack sometimes.

Your best bet would be to find a smaller lesson barn. They tend to be a little more one on one and don't make it an assembly line process.
    I think that raising a good kid starts with a good kid and continues with a good home.

While there indeed are some hunter princesses out there, there are also some obnoxious NH cult followers out there.
    We have seen some come thru these forums, do a search for Parelli.

I like your idea of a rescue, but at her age, she will be very limited in what she may contribute directly with the horses.
    She can always help with the fundraising efforts.

PONY CLUB a thousand times over.

Your daughter will learn more there than anywhere else, except 4H
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

9 members found this post helpful.

Go with a local Pony Club. Your daughter will learn the basics of horsemanship, including safety and care, far better through Pony Club than by trying to pick it up simply by *working* around the barn, especially as she really won't be able to contribute much to barn chores at her age. She'll get to have fun with friends her own age while she's learning too.

4 members found this post helpful.