The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm not crazy, right? (dressage movement question)

I've been whining to myself all week about having to do rising trot in the legthening in Training test A, but just now I decided that maybe I should LOOK at the movement and not assume I have to rise. It clearly does NOT specify that I have rise. So, I can definitely SIT, right?

I'm sitting the test this weekend as prep for moving back up to prelim. Toby gets more lengthening (if any at all) if I sit. Just want to be super clear. No use in throwing a way needless points, either by not riding the horse the best way possible because I didn't read for content, or by missing something in the directives!

And, duh. Test B not A.

Feeling rusty with this whole going to events thing.

In training test, all trot work may be performed in sitting or rising unless otherwise specified, and in movement 16, MXK change rein progressively lengthen the stride in trot, it is not specified - so sit away
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Sweet. I'm a little scatterbrained this week, so I had to ask for my own comfort! (Watch it be his worst lengthening EVER).

Well, now you'll have to let us know!

(Confirming that you can sit: I asked a judge I was scribing for once.)
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I will fill you in! He gave me some glimmers of it today, but it's going to be challenging since it is right after the stretchy circle. Lots of work to do to set him up as best I can in a very little space. Our weak link...all of his other work his quite good. Oh well....we can't get perfect at everything! (Well, I'm certainly not near perfect, but Toby comes close).

Yup, you can definitely sit. I believe the only time it is specified either way in the Training tests is that you have to post the trot for the stretchy circle.

Rising...sitting...either way Lincoln flips me the bird and lengthens his trot approximately 1%. Add it to the list of things to work on

I struggle with the end of that test – going from the lengthen canter (our more unbalanced direction, of course) getting him back and settled enough to do a stretch trot then up and back into the bridle enough try for a decent lengthening. & I wish I wanted to sit! Okay, change that to could sit the trot

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    And, duh. Test B not A.

Feeling rusty with this whole going to events thing.
    We've got "A" coming up, I have tons of rust, even with time in Aiken. Winter here has really sucked!

That test is a bugger! Whoever came up with the test was a meanie-pants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmm...well, we got a 4 on our lengthening. But, well, I was totally blown away (and not in the good way) by our overall score, anyway, so I don't know what to think of THAT. *I* thought he actually did the best so far him. Ugh. Dressage judges suck.

So, DID the horse lengthen (stride and outline slightly) or did it quicken?

Posting (slighltly higher/slowly) can actually help the horse take longer strides w/o quickly.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

1 members found this post helpful.

It was the closest thing to lengthening I've gotten out of this horse in a competition. It is definitely his very weakest link. It wasn't the best lengthening ever (as in, best any horse has done), but he definitely TRIED for me.

I have tried every manner of strategy to get a better lengthening out of him (including changing my post). Sitting, with a whole lot of prep in the corner, gets him up off his shoulders and actually able to understand how to take a bigger step. We've had a lot of help on this from very good people. Right now, this is the best strategy. The 4 on that movement was just one of quite a few head scratchers.
    Last edited by yellowbritches; Mar. 30, 2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: clarification

I understand your frustration. My lengthenings kinda suck too. We tend to get quick. It helps if I do a little bit of a shoulder in through the corner before it, but in the tiny white box it doesn't usually work so well, although we can get respectable lengthenings at home after TONS of lateral work. So frustrating when you try so hard, and the horse tries, and you get that bad of a score. I've had judges write "no difference shown", when there was obviously a difference. It may not have been spectacular, but at training it's a lengthening, and if you show any difference that should be more than a 4. Then I see horses with extravagant front ends get super high scores on the lengthenings, when the hind end was still trailing out the back worse than my little horse. *sigh*

My training level mare just discovered her lengthenings. As usual with all things not slow and quiet, she is quite a fan!! She thinks they are FUN! Not so happy about the downward transition after though--yet.

She discovered the trot lengthening when we were trotting uphill in the field this winter and I just sort of built on that. I knew she had a second gear in there somewhere!

Unfortunately we missed our event this weekend. She bruised her foot a little but is fine now. We will make it to the XC school on Tuesday though!!

I think I'm also kinda frustrated because he had such nice transitions in and out of the lengthening. He clearly showed a difference. It may have been just a few steps, but it's "progressively lengthen the stride" NOT "bomb across the diagonal".

Oh well. I'm NOT going to let one test totally change how I ride my horse. I've made that mistake before and I still think it was part of the demise of Vernon's dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    So, DID the horse lengthen (stride and outline slightly) or did it quicken?

Posting (slighltly higher/slowly) can actually help the horse take longer strides w/o quickly.
    I was going to say something similar -it's easier to get extension (IMO) while posting. But remember you have to have forward to have extension. One of problems when you try to sit an extension and you're in the early levels you either are challenged to actually sit a strong, forward, extended trot, or you sit and get a funny passage-like-but-not-passage trot that feels comfortable, but is not forward or extended (and not passage).

JMO
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Hmm...well, we got a 4 on our lengthening. But, well, I was totally blown away (and not in the good way) by our overall score, anyway, so I don't know what to think of THAT. *I* thought he actually did the best so far him. Ugh. Dressage judges suck.
    I was right after you. I wasn't analysing your ride, but your lengthening looked OK to me.

I got the same score and a similar comment on the lengthening ("4 - running against the bit") when I thought it was better thatn that. (Our overall scores were very similar too.)

Susan is, consistently, very strict in her judging of certain movements. The trot lengthening is one of them. If it isn't the balance, it is the absolute even-ness of the rhythm, and so on. But it feels SOOO good when you finally get it sorted out and get a good lengthening score from her.

I took a clinic with her in November, and, under her direction, got some lengthenings she was happy with, so I know we CAN do it. But even though I tried to remember everything she said, it obviously wasn't the same.

Evn though it is hard to get a good score from her, I really like showing under her, becuase her scoring is VERY consistent.

She is also a very good clinician. Every time I take a clinic with her, it results in major improvements.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I actually rode with her quite a bit with Vernon, so I THOUGHT I was going in knowing what I needed to do to get a decent score. I missed my mark. Oh well. Onward and upward!

Agree with Janet, if you were in Susan's ring. She didn't love our lengthening either (though to be fair, it wasn't particularly good), but I thought her overall score was right on the money. I do think she tends to to be a little overly tough on lengthening in the Training test (wanting to see more of a medium than a lengthening), but every judge has their thing.

Side note - that downhill brush fence onXC? Holy moly. Admittedly, it's been 5 years since I last went Training (old man is stepping down for awhile due to his rider's overly busy non-horse life), but that thing looked and rode like stuff I've regularly seen on Prelim courses! Fun course though, all in all, and Morven always does a really nice job.