The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to find a horse to lease?

We are currently looking for a horse to lease for my 18 y/o son. He is a full time student so either a half lease or a lease that could start in April/May through the summer. His trainer is currently helping us but I was wondering where else we could look? We are looking for something with Training/Prelim experience and is atleast 16.2 hands. My son is hoping to go Prelim this summer and achieve his C3 for pony club. Any help as to where to search would be appreciated.

Ask everyone you know and check the pony club listings. These horses exist, but only rarely are advertised
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Try contacting Cherie Gaebel. She's a National Examiner for PC so she will know just what type of horse you need to pass the C3 Traditional. She's heading south next week so try again if she doesn't get back to you.

http://www.sedgemerefarm.com/

While I was not looking for anything nearly as accomplished as you are, I actually wrote an ad in the Equiery saying who I was, what my skill level was, where I wanted to ride (geography wise) and got lots of answers. Ads are cheap, you could find something this way. Do include that you can supply references.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I do think a partial lease at that level might be particularly hard to come by, because these horses are already difficult to come by, so it might not be in your neighborhood.

Most successful half leases I've seen tend to be ones where someone stumbles onto a good horse in their own back yard.

Good luck though! They're out there, but hard to find.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Once a horse has done Preliminary with any success, he/she becomes somewhat of a hot commodity and these critters can be hard to find. Still I think word of mouth and your local grapevine are going to be your best bet. A thoughtful, candid, honest advertisement in an eventing- or PC-specific publication or website could help. I'd avoid casting too wide a net unless you are willing to field a lot of calls from people with horses with "tons of Prelim experience" (meaning the animal twice jumped a coop that was shared with T/P in 2006).
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone! We do have some leads on a couple horses so hopefully something works out.

Try Facebook-in our area we have 4 areas that have Facebook pages. Or you might try your area USEA website.

Hope you find something!

Need to give this a bump. We are still looking. We realize a horse with Prelim experience is hard to come by so we are bumping it down to a horse going Novice with Training potential. The search is becoming more and more frustrating every day.

How experienced is your son? Good with high energy horses?

He's competed Novice and schooled Training/Prelim fences and competed in 3'6" jumpers and schooling 4'+. He's pretty good with high evergy horses. Come to think of it I don't think he's ever ridden a laid back horse.

You have a PM.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

1 members found this post helpful.

You want to look for people that
    Have a good horse
    No longer have time to ride
    But do not want to sell.

Often they may not even be actively thinking of leasing until someone suggests it.

Prime possibilities include
    Kids going off to school, or adults going back to school
    People expecting children
    People getting married
    People getting divorced
    People dieing

Many of these people won't / don't advertise, and are only interested in people that come with a recommendation from soemone they trust. So talk to your vet, your farrier, any instructor, or other professional that you have worked with.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

3 members found this post helpful.