The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anatomic girth fit ???

Hmmm........tried an anatomic girth (middle part of girth is more forward to accommodate forward girth groove)....and upon girthing it up, it looked like it would be a good thing.........however, after walking and trotting horse a little bit, I checked this girth, and noticed that there was a ridge of pressure right at the back edge of the girth (under her belly)........because the billets exert more pressure there. Girth was not over-tightened. This was a cheaper version of this style of girth (not the Prestige or the County Logic)....but I am wondering if it's even worth it to buy a pricey version of this design of girth! Seems to me no matter what brand, more pressure will be exerted along the rear edge of the "forward/under the belly" part of this type of girth. Is this just another fad/marketing idea? I am leaning toward the Tekna Contour Dressage girth instead......it's not angled as much, and is reasonably priced.

I did not have this problem when I used anatomic girths, but I punch half-holes in my billets in order to equalize pressure.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I don't think that would help.....Seems like this girth would lie angled under her belly instead of flush against her skin....maybe the leather was too hard.......but if you look at the dynamics, it makes sense the the bottom part of that design of girth will always have more pressure along the rear edge.....does not seem very comfortable to me.

I am not a fan of anatomic girths because by design, they don't distribute pressure evenly. Even when the girth breaks in, the pressure will be distributed through the narrowest points of the girth.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

J-Lu.........my thoughts exactly. Though saddlefitter recommended one, I thought I'd investigate before putting out more $$. Seems like I always go back to my old Professional Choice neoprene girth. Cheap, easy to clean and actually kept my saddle in place better than the anatomic girth I tried.

I have several County Logics. They lay flat and do not "tilt" like you've described. Most of my horses seem to be more comfortable in them (and the rest don't seem to notice the difference). I do also have a Jaguar anatomical girth that I got fairly cheaply that I do not like nearly as much as the County girths.

But, as with everything, YMMV, and it could be that your horse isn't conformed in a way that makes anatomical girths better for him.

PNW.......what does YMMV stand for?.........regardless, I agree with your last statement.

Quote Originally Posted by autumn50 View Post
    PNW.......what does YMMV stand for?.........regardless, I agree with your last statement.
    It means your mileage may vary.

I've been happy with the body form girth made by Ovation. It can be difficult to appreciate how it works from a 2-d photo of it, but the slight C shape essentially creates a straight girth where the rear edge of the girth has a larger diameter than the forward edge. This allows the girth to be farther back on the belly without wanting to creep forward. One of my broodmares (big belly!) absolutely hates the prestige contour girth but likes this one.

The quality is high and the price is right: http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...th/p/X1-02194/

J-Lu.........my thoughts exactly. Though saddlefitter recommended one, I thought I'd investigate before putting out more $$. Seems like I always go back to my old Professional Choice neoprene girth. Cheap, easy to clean and actually kept my saddle in place better than the anatomic girth I tried.
    Does not sound as if the anatomic girth you bought suits/fits your mare & the quality is suspect if the leather is "tilting" - why did the saddlefitter suggest an anatomic girth?

If you & your horse are happy with the neoprene, then no reason to go leather (though in this instance, I'd suspect it's that particular girth).

Many years ago, I was sold the bill of goods on this style of girth. I do have the expensive Prestige. Have not used it in years and years. Won't ever again. I just use my cheap, string girths, which contour the best of anything.

Maybe the girth you have is poorly designed, or maybe the billets don't work with it, or maybe your horse isn't the right body type for this style of girth.

My horse's Prestige anatomic girth fits perfectly and lies evenly.

FWIW, YMMV, OTOH, IIR, LOL.

LOVE. This girth!! And I've had most of them, but this is the only one that fits My guy and makes him happy!

I've been happy with the body form girth made by Ovation. It can be difficult to appreciate how it works from a 2-d photo of it, but the slight C shape essentially creates a straight girth where the rear edge of the girth has a larger diameter than the forward edge. This allows the girth to be farther back on the belly without wanting to creep forward. One of my broodmares (big belly!) absolutely hates the prestige contour girth but likes this one.

The quality is high and the price is right: http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...th/p/X1-02194/[/QUOTE]
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Thanks everyone for your replies! Alto, she recommended an anatomic girth because she said my Arabian mare has a forward girth groove. ColdSpring and Schiffon, thanks for mentioning the Ovation girth, I'm going to give it a try. I also have a Lettia girth on order from SmartPak.......it was reasonably priced and looked like it would be comfortable, thought I would try that, too. ColdSpring, I see you have Arabians, too, so maybe this Ovation girth will work well. Like I said, I can always stick with my Professional Choice girth, but maybe she will go even better in the Ovation. Thanks!

Autumn, yes, this girth is for my PB gelding with long withers and a fairly fwd girth channel. He HATED the County Logic. Also had the Lettia. I loved those "click" buckles, but he started getting VERY cranky after a few weeks in it. Upon close inspection, I noticed that when I moved the girth into the approximate contour of his body, it had a small "bunch" on either side, where it didn't fold smoothly. I showed it to the folks at Dover, and they took it back with no hesitation.

The Ovation is very subtlety contoured, but I really like that it is contoured on the front to back dimension, as well. Great design and a happy horse,

Thanks everyone for your replies! Alto, she recommended an anatomic girth because she said my Arabian mare has a forward girth groove. ColdSpring and Schiffon, thanks for mentioning the Ovation girth, I'm going to give it a try. I also have a Lettia girth on order from SmartPak.......it was reasonably priced and looked like it would be comfortable, thought I would try that, too. ColdSpring, I see you have Arabians, too, so maybe this Ovation girth will work well. Like I said, I can always stick with my Professional Choice girth, but maybe she will go even better in the Ovation. Thanks!
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Quote Originally Posted by Schiffon View Post

The quality is high and the price is right: http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...th/p/X1-02194/
    It's so individual. My horse absolutely needs an anatomic girth. I tried the Ovation one first, trying to save money and it didn't work at all. Bit the bullet and purchased the Prestige and he and I both love it, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    I am not a fan of anatomic girths because by design, they don't distribute pressure evenly. Even when the girth breaks in, the pressure will be distributed through the narrowest points of the girth.
    I admit to mentally doing a free body diagram of anatomic girths and not seeing a way they could distribute pressure evenly. My TB needs billets which are not angled backward as many are in order to have the girth fit him properly given the long shoulder and withers well behind his front leg, but I'm not the least bit convinced an anatomic girth could help.

I do have what's called an anatomic girth (I don't remember the brand) which gets wider in the middle - just the wider contact area in the middle seems to make it more comfortable for him.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I too have a big barreled Arabian mare and I just bought an anatomic girth from Delfina Saddlery. It's leather, wide, and works great for her. I was having trouble with the saddle sliding forward thanks to her forward girth groove. I had tried the Ovationa Bodyform Gel girth and hated it. Poor quality and it didn't help my problem a bit. Good luck with your girl.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
    It's so individual. My horse absolutely needs an anatomic girth. I tried the Ovation one first, trying to save money and it didn't work at all. Bit the bullet and purchased the Prestige and he and I both love it, no issues.
    I was just going to post the same phrase -- bite the bullet -- about buying a Prestige girth. They are pricey.

My saddle slipped forward on my horse (another wide, round Arabian). A saddlefitter evaluated it, said the fit was pretty good and recommended getting an anatomic girth -- Prestige and County Logic were the two he mentioned specifically.

Found the Prestige on eBay for about 1/2 price (thank heavens) but for the difference it's made, full price would have been worth it.

As you said, just depends on the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike13 View Post
    I too have a big barreled Arabian mare and I just bought an anatomic girth from Delfina Saddlery. It's leather, wide, and works great for her. I was having trouble with the saddle sliding forward thanks to her forward girth groove. I had tried the Ovationa Bodyform Gel girth and hated it. Poor quality and it didn't help my problem a bit. Good luck with your girl.
    I think the billeting of the individual saddle has more of an influence on where the saddle slides to than the girth. I think in horses with "forward girth grooves", you'd want a saddle with a forward point billet (attached to the frontmost part of the tree and often running through the front part of the saddle) rather than a saddle with the billets coming from the "side" of the tree. A saddle with a free-running, rather than fixed, "v" billet helps heep the saddle in place. Lastly, I've had good luck using a neoprene pad between the saddle pad and the saddle for keeping the saddle in place in these kinds of horses.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

In addition to a contoured girth, an additional tip that was given to me by my saddle fitter for one of my mares who has a forward girth groove is to use foam pads on either side of the withers to "block" the saddle from sliding forward. Foam padding + an Ovation contour girth has stopped the saddle from sliding forward on this mare.