The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think almost all the horses at our barn now go in ThinLines. We have everything from the sheepskin to plain. It has made for significantly happier horses.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Congrats on finding a less expensive Thin Line. I too am a supporter of the Thin Line pads.

I hope it works for you.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I don't know if it's good, bad or otherwise, but if you want to try a different style-- the Horze faux sheepskin 1/2 pad is like $20 and there's always a 50% off code.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The cheapie one you posted is the one I use on Angel. You are welcome to try it on Nemo if you want.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Smartpak has a cheapie, synthetic fleece half pad that fits the bill if you want very minimal bulk, but just a little cushioning. The price was certainly right, and I'll use it with a thicker pad when not using my Thinline Trifecta.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I like the thinline a lot, however it's too thin for me to use just that and a square pad. My Ashland still is too wide/puts pressure on Nemo's withers.

Trixie, thank you! I may borrow yours and combine that with the thinline and if it works grab one of my own.

V, do you have a link to the Horze pad?

I must have missed the cheapie SmartPak pad when I looked.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

http://www.horze.com/Horze-Imitation...,en_US,pd.html

And then with a code for 50% off it's about ten bucks
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Lindz, if you're ordering the Horze pad let me know, I may have you throw one in the order for me. Because that is totally exactly what I need. MORE saddle pads.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I think I'm going to order this one Trixie, I'll email you. Looks like what and I need and can't beat it for 10 bucks.

Anyone have the 50% off code for Horze?
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I've used different versions of Mattes, Fleeceworks, Thinline, Ecogold, Cashel, and Prolite.

IMO the Mattes/Fleeceworks sheepskin is the nicest and provides nice cushioning and wicking properties when used on the horse's back - NOT with a saddle pad. Using a pad kinda defeats some of the purpose of the properties of sheepskin. The Mattes correction pad - ideally without sheepskin to minimize bulk - is also really nice for minor saddle fit issues.

Thinline and Ecogold definitely help in the shock absorbtion category, though I think Ecogold outperforms Thinline. Thing is, the Thinline is thin and some versions are shimmable and the Ecogold triple thick memory foam half pad is not. So saddle fit comes into play.

Personally, for saddle fit issues, the triple pocket Prolite, which is still cheaper than most of the rest at $130, is the best for saddle fit issues. It was developed by a well known saddle fitter and has many, many options for shimming.