The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best affordable, thinner half pad?

Hi! I have a Mattes half pad that I love and has worked very well for us until recently. My gelding had been putting weight on and it's getting a bit tight by his withers, but my saddle is too wide and sits on his withers when I'm on him if I just use a saddle pad. I know it's not ideal and will eventually start saddle shopping, but I want to start working him more so he develops a top line to determine the best fit for a new saddle.

Are there any affordable thinner half pads that anyone can suggest? Thanks!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Roma is the only one I've seen that fits that bill. My fleeceworks half pad is not too bulky, but bulkier than a roma. The other (not cheap) option I have seen is a thinline that only has the sheepskin roll in the front (and maybe behind the cantle) - rest of the pad is not sheepskin.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Thanks DMK! I wish I felt it was worth it to cough up the $$ for a Thinline, but with eventually getting a saddle for him, I don't think it's worth it.

How is your boy doing?
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

You can find Thinlines very cheap on eBay—I paid $38 for mine.

I'll have to look, great!

Has anyone used something like this at all:
    http://www.statelinetack.com/item/tu...pad/SLT722927/

? I don't need anything super thick, just a bit of a lift.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

either that or a Roma.

I had the same issue with my mare...she'd bulked out more then my thinline comfort and my Circuit half pad, I went with a regular fleece pad and a small gel pad, and that provided just enough lift (and it had wither relief).

Thinline ! I love mine. I even have the bareback Thinline pad. It helps my back and the horse's back.

1 members found this post helpful.

I second the Thinline, my horse loves it! And I got mine on eBay, the lettering is smudged so it is a "second." So easy to care for, too. Just wipe off.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    Thinline ! I love mine. I even have the bareback Thinline pad. It helps my back and the horse's back.
    How is the bareback pad? Does your horse like it and is it slippery at all? I've seen them and been tempted, but I've been figuring it'd be wise to ask someone who already has one .

Another vote for thinline! If you get the Trifecta one, you can shim it now and then use it un-shimmed when you get your better fitting saddle. My saddles fit my horses really well and I use the Trifecta without shims and it doesn't change the fit. I second getting them on eBay, they're super cheap there!
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Default Cashel Wool Half Pad?

Has anyone used this before? Is it super thick? Good quality?

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

What about Lami-cell?

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by TatteredDaydreamer View Post
    What about Lami-cell?
    Lami-Cells are good. I would've recommended them, but I didn't know what you meant by thinner. If they're thin enough, then yes, by all means.

The Lami-Cells are great. That's what we show and school all the jumpers in at the barn I'm at now and at the last barn I was at too. I also have a Mattes half pad which is nice but the lami-cell is thinner, looks sleeker, less expensive, and doesn't look as dirty!

Iould go with thinline, like alot have said already ebay is the way to go. My OTTB has a bad back and a saddle that dosnt fit him too well and he moves better in the thinline and one of those thick saddle pads that look like they have the half pad attached to it. Those 2 together work wonders! Also back on track has a halfpad i think.

Love my thinlines! Definitely worth it.
    Last edited by Rebels_Princess; Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks everyone! I grabbed just a regular ThinLine on Ebay for $60, yay! No frills or anything, but here's hoping it works out. If not it looks as if I can certainly sell it. I'm going to research Lami-Cell too.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by TatteredDaydreamer View Post

How is your boy doing?
    Oops, just saw this! He's having a bit of a vacation, I had surgery on my elbow (tendon) about 6 weeks ago and the last month before surgery was mostly one handed due to pain. One more week and I can pick up something heavier than my phone, so riding seems to be off the table for now (however no way am I out for the potential 6 months the surgeon tossed out!). Anyway, I have somebody riding him once a week to keep him in tune and give me a different perspective on things (he's a reiner). I swear, we are going to have a reining spin and rollback added to our repertoire!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I have a mattes too. I love my thin lines and oglivy a though.