The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Allergic to Hay? (Me, not Horse)

I think I've developed a hay allergy. Last summer I had to quit after putting up 50 bales, not because my body pooped out, but because I couldn't get any air into my lungs. Anyone else have this happen? Even now, when I go up to throw hay down daily I will cough every time. Would something like Claritin or Benadryl help ward this off this summer when I have to put the year's worth up? I really don't want to have to wear a ventilator in a loft in August...
    Quarry Rat

When we used to put up hay I took 50mg of Benedryl when we started and could pick up or stack for about 30-45 min. Then I had to drive the truck.

Even now I'm careful in the barn not to get a "nose full" of hay dust. I don't take Benedryl anymore; my Allergist gave me better stuff (Flonase and Xyzal).

Allergies to grass (and tree pollen) are not happy things in people who keep horses.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Sorry, but a heavy-duty mask will be your friend if you must throw hay. I'd be making an appointment with a pulmonologist, tho, for proper lung-function testing. You may also need an inhaler.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I don't get those symptoms, just sneezing and runny nose for a couple of days, esp. when I pick up a new kind of hay. I just got a load of native bluestem, and, having just gotten over the last load of Tifton 85 awhile back, my body tells me it needs to 'process' this new, foreign allergen....I'm sure I'll be over it in another day or so, but goin through alot of tissues!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Hmmm, mine's not sneezy or runny eyes, but I can feel my windpipe closing up. I assume this is probably more of an asthma type thing then? I'd really rather not go see a doctor, but I suppose that might be wisest...
    Quarry Rat

Yes, please do see a doctor, or better yet, an allergist. Just keep thinking that, if it were your horse, you'd have had the vet out long ago.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Hmmm, mine's not sneezy or runny eyes, but I can feel my windpipe closing up. I assume this is probably more of an asthma type thing then? I'd really rather not go see a doctor, but I suppose that might be wisest...
    Yes, asthma. I had this problem for the past few summers. I eventually went to the allergist, and it was determined that I am NOT allergic to hay. Turns out I have "activity induced" asthma that is just further irritated by the hay dust. I now have to keep my inhaler with me when I am doing hay.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

3rd checking out the possible asthma. My husband had his first asthma attack at age 55; he ended up in the ER and without treatment wouldn't be here. Don't take it lightly.

They n95 masks are light weight, and I've used them in muggy mid 90 degree days. I actually find it easier to breathe in then trying to breathe the dust.
    They are really good when I get cold weather asthma (very cold DRY air), they keep the moisture in for rebreathing.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I would go see a dr. It sounds like you have Asthma....I have exactly the same symptoms, and my mom the physician said I needed an inhaler. Sure enough the dr. says the same thing. Good news is it DOES help. If your like me you'll first be prescribed one that you only use when needed. I use it before exercising outside, when I'm home after being away for a few days (we have cats), etc.

Hay allergies suck. Hang in there! I used to hate being the kid who couldn't stand to play in the hay barn at camp after half an hour of practically not being able to breathe or see. I'm also horrifically allergic to cows, especially highland ones. You don't want to know how I know this. But talk about a random allergy.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Thank you for all the suggestions, guys! I suppose I'll probably end up with an inhaler. I'm wondering if it's just popping up now (I'm 28) because I've gained a significant amount of weight... Need to get off my caboose!
    Quarry Rat

See an allergist. There's a lot you can do to help, allergy shots might be a good idea, but there are also medications like Singulair and non steroidal nasal sprays. An allergist will also do some asthma testing.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant