The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone ever tried the Wintec Ultra Lightweight Gel Pad???

So I have been doing some research on some different types of back pads and Im having a hard time chosing there are SO many options out there... I know that thinlines are really good but being a broke college student I cant quite afford to spend over $100 for a pad. I recently came across the Wintec Ultra Lightweight Gel Pad and I am intrigued! Can anyone tell me if they have ever used on of these pads and what you thought about it?

Thanks!!

I have not -- because I refuse to put anything that does not breathe on my horse's back. I use all EcoGolds now -- I'm broke too, but they have been truly what they claim to be and caused me to throw my (free) ThinLine in the trailer and never use it again. Does your horse specifically need a therapeutic pad? Mine both do -- but many do fine in cotton.

Gel is a liquid, and like any liquid, will move away from pressure. So, a gel pad will even greater pressure points than already exist. Are you trying to fit a saddle that's slightly too wide? That would be the only reason why I would use a thick gel pad. If you have a saddle that rocks, or is too narrow, it's only going to make the problem worse in the long run. It may seem to help in the short term because it will be relieving areas of pressure, but it will only move those pressure points elsewhere.

Send me a PM - I may have a solution for you that won't cost a lot.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

My saddle is not too wide this one is actually the best fitting one we have found. He is an older guy with rather pronounced withers and I want to put some sort of shock absorbing pad underneath to keep his back comfy.. More and as a preventative... The only issue my saddle does have is it does ever so slightly tip me back...

You can find new "irregular" (usually a bad ink print) Thinline pads and slight used (used as demo) Thinline pads for very reasonable prices on ebay.