The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farm names

If you have a private horse farm, how can you secure the farm name so that it can not be copied?

So greatful to get to ride!

Dutchess County, New York

There are various levels of protection; if you file corporate papers I don't think any other corporation in that state can have the same name. Otherwise, there is no protection, really. You could I suppose file for trademark protection (expensive and lengthy I think) and then if someone else used the name, you could issue a cease and desist letter, and if the other barn continued to use the name you could sue if there would be confusion.

All the above is highly theoretical -- no one trademarks barn names!

If you have a private farm, why do you care? I ask because perhaps whatever your concern is could be addressed in other ways.

Agree w/ the above post. I would venture to say there are plenty of Stonebridge, Stoneridge, Fox Hollow, River View etc type names all over the place - most people names their farms/barns after something that means something to them - whether it's a place, person, animal, etc. Even companies run the risk of having other businesses w/ similar names - logos are trademarked, I don't know that you can trademark a name per se perhaps copywrited but then you'd run the risk of having to do a search and potential suit if you trademarked or copywrited a name. for instance ages ago there used to be a small publication Polo Magazine - well seems that Ralph Lauren didn't like the fact that there was a magazine called Polo (which zip to do Lauren's clotheshis clothes) so Lauren threatened to sue the owner of Polo Mag... w/a relatively small subscribership the mag relented to Lauren... which is really rich considering Lauren made/is making a bundle off the Sport