The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default correct shoeing pictures

i am continually trying to educate myself re: correct shoeing. would anyone want to take some pictures of their horse(s) and explain what is correct about the shoeing? i have seen many pictures of incorrect shoeing and still get confused so I thought some pictures of correct shoeing might be educational.

thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.

Excellent idea! LMAO!!
    I think we shall soon hear crickets around here

What is the story on P1010204.JPG?

Looks like the horse may have needed a resection due to seedy toe/whiteline? It also appears there may have been a blowout of an abcess at the coronary band or someone was just messy with the purple stuff.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by blairasb View Post
    What is the story on P1010204.JPG?
    I got a referral to this case from another farrier (not the attending) who had previously worked for the owner and had good results with this horse, but he dropped the account when she started using a different vet - a real prima donna type that feels communicating with farriers is beneath his station in life. So I got the referral with the idea that the vet didn't know me and there was an opportunity for me and the vet to start with a clean slate and no baggage - that was the theory anyway.

Chronic laminitis - The owner was soaking this foot daily per veternary instructions over the phone(vet did not examine the horse till I requested radiographs)
    http://blackburnforge.com/images/P1010191.JPG
    Due to being encapsulated in the glue-on cuff, most of the horn in the lower hoof wall was rotted away from anaerobic horn digesting microbes and P3 was about to exit the sole.
    Radiograph -
    http://blackburnforge.com/images/P1010207c.jpg
    Note - vet instructions in black marker on the radiograph to "move shoe back 1/2" - but the vet missed the fact that the plastic rim on the shoe was already 1/2" above the tip of P3 and the entire sole was prolapsed below the rim of the shoe. The horse could not bear weight on this foot without severe pain.

Here are pictures of the foot with the rotten horn removed. Purple color is Durasole - to harden the remaining horn.
    http://blackburnforge.com/images/P1010196.JPG
    http://blackburnforge.com/images/P1010198.JPG

I built a "fence shoe" and used a piece of a snow rim pad to keep the shoe from bearing on the sole while the acrylic setup.
    http://blackburnforge.com/images/P1010201.JPG

The shoe is not "glued" to the horn. The acrylic is just molded around the wall, then the shoe is attached with nails driven very high into solid horn.

I filled the bottom of the shoe with Equipak pour in pad material . . .
    http://blackburnforge.com/images/P1010205.JPG

Note, there is no Equipak directly under the tip of P3 and no part of the ventral sole is weight bearing. You could almost feel the tip of p3 through the sole, so I made sure that area would not bear any weight.

The horse was able to walk on this package until 4 days later when the vet came by and dug the Equipak out of the bottom of the hoof. Not sure what the vet was thinking because he never returned my phone calls about it. He dropped the radiographs off at the barn with the notes written on the film.

The day I worked on the horse the vet pulled a no show (he was supposed to be there) I called him about the radiographs several times - he never called back. So I was on my own for this one. The owner was convinced that this vet is the greatest thing since sliced bread and she didn't have any problem with him refusing to talk to farriers.

In spite of the sabotage to my shoeing package, the horse did improve and 6 weeks later another farrier (one that I referred to the owner) was able to put a more "normal" shoeing package on the horse. Fortunately the vet stayed out of the way and kept his hands off the horse.
    Last edited by Tom Bloomer; Jan. 8, 2013 at 04:04 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

This isnt really a fair representation since this was the first shoeing into fixing a hoof butchered mess but I like the overall balance.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/7e98b6c8.png
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Well, to me the angles on Eq Trainer's post look way off. Are not the pastern angles and hoof wall angles supposed to be the same? Here the pasterns both look more upright than the hoof, creating a bent backwards line at the hairline.
    Also, the heels look quite under run to me.
    Since represents a step in the right direction from a botched up mess, it would be great to see the "before" picture. As is, I would have be pretty u happy with the angls in general.
    Differing opinions, any one?

Quote Originally Posted by arlosmine View Post
    Well, to me the angles on Eq Trainer's post look way off.
    So? How do you know the horses is not standing under without being able to see the canon bones?

Are not the pastern angles and hoof wall angles supposed to be the same?
    On a perfectly maintained foot with no ventral distortion the phalanges should be aligned on their central axis when the horse is standing square.

Here the pasterns both look more upright than the hoof, creating a bent backwards line at the hairline.
    Without radiographs taken while the horse is standing square and the film/sensor placed very accurately it is very difficult to assess phalangeal alignment with any degree of repeatable accuracy. The Hoof Pastern axis can be perfectly aligned and the philanges NOT aligned. and vice versa. There are a lot of factors besides hoof angle that affect philangeal alignment.

Also, the heels look quite under run to me.
    What is your protocol for fixing under run heels?

Since represents a step in the right direction from a botched up mess, it would be great to see the "before" picture. As is, I would have be pretty u happy with the angls in general.
    You can see the before picture in the remaining axial distortion in the quarters and the relaxed area in the hairline where the coronary band jamming has settled when the heels were brought back. There also appears to be some kind of material providing frog support under the pad. To me it is obvious that this farrier was focused on the mechanical needs of the foot and not very worried about the external appearance.

Differing opinions, any one?
    How about you substantiate your opinion?

Really nice work Tom! Wish we had more like you out here in long toe land! Our vets/chiros always seem to be lamenting...

Read through this.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by candico View Post
    Really nice work Tom! Wish we had more like you out here in long toe land! Our vets/chiros always seem to be lamenting...
    Thanks for the flowers.

Ya know, every time I go to a clinic I'm tripping over a bunch of farriers that are better farriers than me.

More flowers!! You are also better than many of the farriers in these parts because they would never-ever say they have run into other farriers that do better work!

Ps. My own farrier is quite humble and does a fine job. Just have to nag him here and there.

Thanks Tom. You explained it all perfectly. It was the first step in fixing a big mess, horse returned to soundness and his previous job as a high level eventer.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by candico View Post
    More flowers!! You are also better than many of the farriers in these parts because they would never-ever say they have run into other farriers that do better work!

Ps. My own farrier is quite humble and does a fine job. Just have to nag him here and there.
    Thanks candico, your post made me laugh.

Hoof-pastern angles don't mean much if the hoof doesn't articulate properly when the horse is in motion. It's how they move on the hoof that counts, or so I'm told.

Here's a shoeing job that worked very well for the horse at the time (retired and barefoot now):
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Des-fronts.jpg

And here's a shoeing job that is correct for my dressage horse, whose feet are a bit of a challenge.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...psf067cc7a.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...pse144afaa.jpg

The hinds are in shoe with some heel extension, which he really really likes:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps8b2f9da0.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps0c203ed9.jpg

Tom, if you have a chance, could you post pictures of how you address a club foot? Or anyone else for that matter... My biggest problem with our farrier is that he is pressured by the hunter conformation folks particularly to "hide" a club foot as in chop the heel... And for whatever reason, I do run into vets that have a very strong aversion to Equipak. Must have been a topic at an annual meeting!

Tom, could you explain how you fix under run heels? Just because I hear a lot of people talk about it but not much in terms of how you actually fix it (other than try not to let them get that way in the first place!)