The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it possible to find a saddle that will fit both my horses?

Horse 1 - 15.3 WB/TB cross with round barrel, wide chest , low withers and slightly higher behind than in front. Current saddle - Stubben Roxane S is too narrow in shoulders and this forces it to sit much higher in pommel than cantle. Have to put 4 in padding under cantle to make saddle level . She was injured 3 years ago, and is going to be jumping more later this year. Competing - only if footing is great but she loves to jump and I would like humor her

Horse 2 - 16 h 5 yr old OTTB, narrower but not narrow, more level - current saddle fits her pretty well, but is too small for me. Has been in steady work off track for about 6 months, building neck and muscle. hope to go BN/N this year

Would like - fairly forward saddle that is as "tight" as the Roxanne - I like /need something that holds me in place . No monoflap. I dont want an adjustable gullet - riding 2 a day and having to change the gullet back and forth would be a nightmare - would't have time to ride!

Is it even possible to think I can fit both of them with some Mattes pad/thicker padding for the TB? It seems to work for my dressage saddle...Or am I delusional? -
    Last edited by elizabeth Callahan; Jan. 10, 2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling

I've always sort of made do, and it's always worked ok. I have the Roxane in a MW and I feel like it does pretty well on multiple horses of different sizes, with a couple of different half pads.

Mine are all solidly built TBs, though-- just that I have old guy with a ridiculous wither but relatively level back, the younger guy with a decent wither/ mild swayback, and the young guy with a decent wither and slightly curvy back. With the old horse I have to have padding in the front, with the other two padding in the back (but not the same amount, unfortunately.)

I think you can probably get away with a MW, and maybe with a W saddle on the narrow horse, with appropriate shimming. Whether the saddle will fit two different shapes as well as two different sizes is a different question though!

Not delusional. If they are similar in shape and size, you should be able to find something that may fundamentally work, and just need to use a little specific padding to fix its short comings on one or the other or both.

In my experience, generally yes. Better odds with a wool flocked which conforms a bit better to different backs. You can also improve odds by looking for a saddle with features that are more generous for fit - i.e. wide gullet, cut back pommel both tend to improve fit on differently built horses.

I have a CWD with pro panels and I find that it fits my horse that is built almost exactly like horse #1. It is a medium tree (pretty generous). You may see if you can try one and sit in it. I don't know if it would be okay on #2 as well, but it worked well on #1.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
    Horse 1 - 15.3 WB/TB cross with round barrel, wide chest , low withers and slightly higher behind than in front. Current saddle - Stubben Roxane S is too narrow in shoulders and this forces it to sit much higher in pommel than cantle. Have to put 4 in padding under cantle to make saddle level . She was injured 3 years ago, and is going to be jumping more later this year. Competing - only if footing is great but she loves to jump and I would like humor her

Horse 2 - 16 h 5 yr old OTTB, narrower but not narrow, more level - current saddle fits her pretty well, but is too small for me. Has been in steady work off track for about 6 months, building neck and muscle. hope to go BN/N this year

Would like - fairly forward saddle that is as "tight" as the Roxanne - I like /need something that holds me in place . No monoflap. I dont want an adjustable gullet - riding 2 a day and having to change the gullet back and forth would be a nightmare - would't have time to ride!

Is it even possible to think I can fit both of them with some Mattes pad/thicker padding for the TB? It seems to work for my dressage saddle...Or am I delusional? -
    I must admit I'm rather confused as to whether you currently have one saddle or 2 saddles, but then decided, it didn't really matter

If your current saddle fits one horse well & the other NOT AT ALL - if you're actually placing 4 inches of padding under the cantle, that saddle does not feel good as you will be creating pretty significant pressure points (your horse is wonderful!) - chances are rather limited; but it's also possible that current saddle does not fit #2 as well as you think & a saddle with a differently shaped tree may fit both surprisingly well ...

Have you had a saddle rep/fitter out to fit both horses?
    If you like Stubben, see if they have someone for your area (especially as they still have a good number of sale saddles remaining).

Many saddle reps will come out at minimal or no cost - it would be worth it to see how horse #1 moves in a saddle that actually fits

A rather easy analysis, would be detailed wither & back tracings of both horses & then overlay (or draw curves on same paper using assigned colors for each horse) - Trumbull Mtn is one name that comes up again & again for wonderfully generous (with their time) distance saddle fitting - & they are good at what they do!

Annette at Hastilow would also be a good start - again, they have loads of used saddles.

Many horses that are slightly downhill will benefit from a panel that more support in front such as a k to keep it from running into the wither area. Horse #2, the TB, typically needs a similar support to allow the proper width in the wither area but still providing balance to the saddle. You should always fit the wider one and pad up for the narrower one. As long as the general topline is similar and one isn't hugely wider than the other, you may be able to make one saddle work for 2 horses.

Though it's not possible to say for sure without seeing the horses (or templates and photos), if your horses are similar, one saddle may work for both. You might have to shim for the one who's narrower, but as long as their conformations aren't hugely dissimilar, it's possible. For a croup-high horse, a full front gusset can help keep the saddle back, and a thinner, upswept rear panel can help keep the saddle balanced. K panel might be an option as well if the horse "falls off" a bit at the withers, but keep in mind that if the K isn't needed, it can make the saddle sit too high in front.

One issue with the Stubben may actually be the length of the tree points. Stubbens have very long points, and this can be great on a horse with a big wither, but with a longitudinally flatter back profile, they can make the saddle "perch" and create too much clearance, even if the basic width is close. If you have a good fitter in your area, see what they think. Otherwise, send templates and photos to someone who has a lot of experience doing long-distance fitting and get their input.