Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FEI Ends Rolex Sponsorship

Saw this on my facebook:

Rolex Releases Official Statement:

Rolex has been a long-standing supporter of equestrianism since the late 1950s and is proud of the contribution it has made to the consequential growth in popularity and international expansion of the sport. Those implicated at the highest levels, from event organizers to riders, have consistently expressed their gratitude for and appreciation of Rolex’s dedication and commitment.

Despite this substantial support and after many years of loyal partnership between Rolex and the Fédération Equestre Internationale, the FEI made the disappointing decision to end its relationship with our company and choose another watchmaking sponsor.

As a major force at play in this exceptional domain, Rolex nevertheless remains as committed as ever and looks forward to perpetuating its unique and lasting contribution to equestrianism around the world.

Wow! One has to ask just what the heck is going on with FEI lately? Why end a good thing?
    How does this affect events like Rolex Kentucky? There are so many unanswered questions...I am surprised that EN hasn't picked this story up yet.
    Last edited by Lori T; Jan. 11, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

FEI probably couldn't squeeze more money out of Rolex.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    FEI probably couldn't squeeze more money out of Rolex.
    Agreed.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

There are no words......
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Are you sure? When I search this, it only comes back to this thread. Who posted it on Facebook?

It was posted by Horse Sport International.

It will be interesting to see what happens. How do you have Rolex Kentucky (website www.rk3de.org by the way) if the FEI is sponsored by Longhines? Can Rolex the event have a separate watch sponsor or as an FEI event, is that prohibited? If it's prohibited, is Longhines going to give Rolex, the event, the same sponsorship $ that Rolex, the company, gave or is Rolex the event now screwed from a sponsorship perspective. Are we all going to be posting on the "Who's going to Longhines this year?" thread. What happens to WFP's attempt at the Rolex Grand Slam?
    Seems like the FEI has sold out eventing in a big way.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything either, and the FEI page is full of Rolex sponsored events.

Not sure where else to find the Rolex statement, but the FEI itself made public statements recently about its new watch sponsor. Pretty inevitable after that that Rolex would bail.
    I am sure it is all due to FEI's unadulterated greed. Way to treat a decades-long, loyal sponsor
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Well damn...

http://www.longines.com/brand/news/2...EI-Top-Partner

"Under the new agreement – which marks the biggest sponsorship deal ever brokered by the FEI – Longines becomes the Official Top Partner, Official Timekeeper and Official Watch of the FEI. Longines will take on a number of key FEI properties including the title sponsorship of the FEI World Cup™ Jumping before the start of the new season in October 2013."

We at the Chronicle are at work to find out how the FEI's recent partnership with Longines (http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ei-top-partner) might affect the Rolex Kentucky CCI****. I'll let you know when we get a call back.

13 members found this post helpful.

I would be very curious to see how the sponsorship dollars were distributed under Rolex (i.e. did it all go through the FEI or did some of it go directly to the various events, whose sponsorship may have predated the FEI sponsorship) vs. this new sponsorship deal with Longines which I predict all goes directly to the FEI.

The FEI is an out of control oligarchy. So bizarre. It makes me want to go out and buy a Rolex.

10 members found this post helpful.

How the hell do you even pronounce Longines?
    FEI...just like our politicians, all members should be put on a small float with one bottle of water and set afloat.....

Lonh- geen, with a soft slurred g.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    Be thankful it's not Patek Philippe. "Hey, you going to Patek Philippe this year?"
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

My memory is probably faulty, but I think Rolex got deeply involved with the FEI not too far before the Lexington WEG. I recall thinking that they were doing it to support their long time partner, the organizer. Although I know they've had Pessoa as a "face" for years.

So what does this do to the FEI athletes who are Rolex "faces"--Rodrigo, Pippa Funnell, Zara Phillips--and the Rolex Grand Slam. WFP is so close; will that disappear?

Good for Rolex Watch USA sticking with --damn, what do you call it if not Rolex?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    FEI...just like our politicians, all members should be put on a small float with one bottle of water and set afloat.....
    Why would you give them water?

6 members found this post helpful.

I notice that it says Rolex USA will sponsor Rolex Kentucky in 2013. What about going forward?

The FEI power over horse sports is crazy. It's like FIBA controlling the NBA and trying to tell Lebron James where he can play and who can sponsor him.

The new director of EEI was being interviewed on one of our local (Lexington) TV stations at lunch. Unfortunately I was at stuck in a waiting room & the sound was off. Can't find any links on the station's website either. Dang!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com