The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Paddock Boots For Bad Ankle (Dr. Recommended Packer Boots)

I'm recovering from a broken ankle and my doctor is very familiar with riding/horses. His daughter is a dressage rider. Anyway, he suggested I get a pair of Chippewa Packer boots to ride in. These boots do not come in women's sizes, and the men's would be too wide.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a boot similar maybe in a paddock boot? Right now I ride in a Tredstep, and have used Ariats in the past, but not sure my doctor agrees. He didn't have any recommendations for paddock boots.

TIA
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Some lace-up Grand Prix boots might serve your flappy ankles and narrow feet. In general, anything tall and lace up will likely do the job your Dr. wants.

Otherwise, Georgia Loggers might work. They are just about equivalent to Chippewa Boots-- total sh!t kickers. I know Georgia Loggers come in small sizes that work for women. If you have an average, but not Officially Narrow foot, these might work for you.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks Simkie and mvp. I will check those out. I think the heel on the Chippewa (and I'm seeing on others) was important to my doctor, too. Slightly higher. Traditional paddock boots have the shorter heel.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Lace up variety of paddock boot and also get one of those stretchy ankle slip on ankle supports - available at any drug store or pharmacy. I like the ACE brand one the best but they seem a bit harder to find; get one that'll fit in your boots - most do.

Boulet also makes a great packer in ladies' sizes. Maybe try to find a Boulet dealer near you? They make great boots.

http://www.bouletboots.com/index.php...tID=74&PID=333
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Those look nice JBcool. I will check out dealers. Looks similar to the one he recommended. Thanks.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

No suggestions, but glad your Dr. is clearing you for riding! It's always nice to have a doctor who understands horses and riding.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi,

I have had a badly broken ankle and torn ligaments and tendon. I have gone through many boots to find something that works. My favorite for support are the
    Ariat Quantum Performer Lace up paddock boots or if you are still wearing a brace, then Ariat Terrain lace up are the only ones I found that fit a brace under decently.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, pony4me. I'm so excited at the thought of riding soon. Doc said if I get the good boots I can ride sooner.

Thanks, Denver. I will bring my catalog to my next appointment and see what my doctor thinks.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Default Try ankle brace in a paddock boot

if you haven't solved your ankle issue. I competed after a severe sprain with a volleyball ankle brace inside my lace up paddock boots. It worked great!

My favorite was an air cast or the similar design with gel fill.

Air cast
    http://www.betterbraces.com/aircast-...FYw-Mgodxy8AHw

A similar design
    http://www.volleyballcentral.net/act...kle-brace.html

Good luck

I have screws in my ankle, and recently got the lace-up Ariat Quantums. Loving them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 2boys View Post
    I have screws in my ankle, and recently got the lace-up Ariat Quantums. Loving them so far.
    I have 6 screws in my left ankle and I wear these and they work great.

Custom kroop zips have also worked well.

Thanks, all. I am still waiting for the okay from my doctor to ride, so I will check these out!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

The Georgia Giant website has a woman's black logger/packer boot on sale NOW for only $64.00-marked down from well over $100.00.

Georgia boots are really well made. I also have a pair of old, USA made Carolina packer boots, they are nice, too. These boots are made with thicker leather uppers than traditional English paddock boots. I imagine the Dr. recommends that thickness of leather to help keep the ankle from rolling over?

I would just be careful about the treads-some of these boots have serious grooves, you don't want them to get hung up in your stirrups...

I have a bad ankle and the ligament rolls from the back to the front of the ankle bone and gets stuck there. I wear Ariat Cobalt Devon Pro paddock boots with thick socks, and then use vetwrap to wrap my ankle when I wear my field boots. The vetwrap has been better than regular ankle braces or wraps. I have been doing this for 23 years with just a few glitches along the way. Good luck!