The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yes, Appys Can Jump

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

3 members found this post helpful.

That looks biiig...
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

That is a BIG JUMP!

Cool pic

Now cue obligatory dumb FB comment on the photo:
    That is terrilyhigh for that poor horse!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Appy's can do anything!
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

2 members found this post helpful.

When I was a kid there was a girl named Charlene that had an awesome little appy that could jump the moon. I was wondering if this pic was going to be a pic of her. I wish I could remember the name of that little guy. He was only about 15.2 and had almost no tail.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Those of us that grew up with Appys know they can jump!

I have never known an Appaloosa that could not jump. The picture below shows an Appaloosa I found years ago in someone's back yard who'd done nothing but trail ride. This photo was about 3 months later.

And my best show horse EVER was a 15.1 hand Appaloosa that showed in the Mini Prix and Gambler's Choice classes in Houston and was only beaten ONCE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spec6.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	37502  
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

1 members found this post helpful.

Great picture of Twinkie and Croc. Some of you may also recall a small appy think is name was Little Wolf ? that one of the Karazisis brothers used to show
    I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you

I remember watching video in '83/'84 of Crocodile competing. I don't know where it was taken, but it was pretty awesome watching him jump. I've always wondered what his story was.

From the same era, don't forget the stallion, Sutter's Showboy (and "admire" Poncho Frankel's unorthodox style! OMG) Strangely, she rode hunters beautifully - like an eq rider, but for some reason she did THIS over jumper fences:

http://www.freewebs.com/ashillappalo...toid=117411454

I'm told a son of Showboy, Sutter's Showboat, was very influential in British Spotted Horse/Appaloosa bloodlines.

I couldn't find a picture of him, but Twinkie also briefly rode a relative of Croc, named Kojak, who was purchased from the Nissens by Lloyd Mason, who won a puissance class at the Monterey Horse Show on Kojack. Kojak lived in my neighborhood and was trail ridden by Carol Mason until he was into his 30s. Kojack was about 16 hands. Crock was 17.3!!

FWIW, my experience with Apps jumping has been it's all or nothing. They're either great, or not interested! I've had two Appy eventers/jumpers (through Prelim/intermediate), and one that preferred doing his eight hunter jumps in an arena. My present horse's grandsire is from the same bloodlines as Sutter's Showboy.

I remember seeing Crocodile at either the Washington International or the Baltimore Jumping Classic back in the early 80s! According to Pedigreequery, he was a 1964 model, so he must have been approaching 20 when I saw him!

I remember him because I was already an Appy fan then, and to see one doing the big jumper classes (Puissance, probably) was like a dream come true for me!