The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendations for good and available massage therapist in No. VA?

One of my students has a horse with (what has become) a chronically tight and sore back, he had this issues when she bought him (a year and a half/two years ago), and apparently she had his back injected at the time. (I just found out about this when I mentioned his issues to her! She is a newbie horse owner and very inexperienced, so it probably didn't occur to her to mention this to me.)

I was putting training rides on him once a week for a few months while she was pregnant-- she had the baby in late Sept.--and he was always sound and felt good U/S. After he had a prolonged break (in late Oct.), I went out to put a schooling ride in on him, and his back was tighter than usual, I always palpate and do bodywork before I ride, then do stretching groundwork before I ride. He was good U/S--I did long and low and stretching over his topline, but he was unwilling to pick up the canter. I told her that since this was uncharacteristic behavior (and he felt different under my hands), that she should have the vet out to check on his back (and I also suggested massage, chiro and acu--which I doubt she can afford--and possibly a course of Robaxin.) This was when she finally told me about the original problems!

Vet came out, agreed that his back was tight and sore and that he was splinting. He injected it with H/A and steroids, said to give him at least a week off. Two weeks later I tried again, only to find his back JUST as tight, and so I suggested to the owner that she contact a massage therapist, and again said that maybe the vet should provide a course of Robaxin. She contacted two massage therapists, and one said "I don't have an opening for a month", and the other said "you need to bring the horse to me." Sheesh!

Anyway, this poor woman has a broken ankle and can't get out to the barn regularly (in addition to having a new baby!), so I'm hoping to get a recommendation for a GOOD massage practitioner in our area (around Aldie VA) who is willing to come to us, and who *might* have an available appt. in the middle of winter, as in the off season.

This horse is an OTTB, checkered past history (and is nice U/S and decent on the ground), but he is a TOTAL ASS out in T/O. He is with about 14 other horses on field board. He constantly instigates fights and scuffles, is always "attack playing", very vigorously, and just act like an imbecile and winds up with many bites and kicks. OY! I'm afraid that even IF we get his back squared away, he will just "undo everything" with his antics in the field (which is what I think caused the issues to recur in the first place!)

Sorry for the book, I prefer to give more info rather than less, since then posters don't ask a million questions. (Or shouldn't have to! )

TIA.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Tina Lippincott. I love her to itty bitty pieces and she is one of Toby's favorite people. I've been using her for years. I'll send you her number via FB.

Toby is struggle because he can be chronically tight backed. She has helped him a lot, though I did break down and shockwave his back late this summer (which helped break the cycle). I have another horse in the barn who basically suffered the exact same thing, but who's owner didn't want to do shockwave and had the cash to pay Tina to see him way more than I can ever afford. I think she did him twice a week for a few weeks, then once a week, and is now doing him twice a month. She is extremely accommodating and very, very good at her job.

I second Tina. She is fabulous. She's at my barn in Philomont once a month.

She's been doing my horses for 6 or more years! She is an important part of the care for the competition horses.

Wonderful! Thanks guys I had heard of Tina, but didn't have her contact info (so thanks yb
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

can someone please PM me Tina's information? I am in Leesburg and have been searching for a good massage Therapist for my horse as well.

Dr. D, don't know if this would work for you, but I may be back up there in Feb. or March for a combined personal/professional visit. I would certainly be amenable to booking a few massage and/or energy work appointments. It would just be a one-out, as NovA is a bit outside my travel range, LOL, but I give copious homework to my clients. Owners can do a LOT to help their horses w/muscular tension.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus