The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I think it's something you can choose to believe or not, and trying to change someone else's mind based on what you think it is or isn't is pointless.

Like religion. Or politics. Or running XC in anything besides a snaffle. Or the use of draw reins. Or which monoflap is best. Or which BNT is the best trainer. Or who SHOULD have been on the London Olympic Team.

but we must realize that people are predisposed to hear what fits and not hear what does not fit...
    'Swhat I've been saying. Our brains are mysterious and unpredictable enough . . . there is little need to go farther than inside our own skulls to find all sorts of unbelievable and incredible stuff. We are absolutely DRIVEN biologically to sort and categorize things, to draw conclusions, and to make things "fit". Even if we think we aren't, we are doing all of those things, constantly. Personally I find that aspect of human nature extremely fun and it motivates my so-called "skepticism" far more than any sort of Spock-like "bah humbug" worldview. Our BRAINS are the big mystery, not the supernatural.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I love this thread! Interesting stories. I would classify myself as neither a believer nor a skeptic... I try to keep an open mind about everything... but I secretly want to believe.

If I were to use an AC, I would not be surprised if it was disappointing. But there are enough anecdotal stories that seem to end in a resolution that I think it would be worth trying if there is some kind of chronic problem.... even if the AC stumbled upon the solution by pure blind luck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Has anyone ever recorded the call and had it transcribed? Not taken notes... but an actual transcript? And examined it after-the-fact?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Has anyone ever recorded the call and had it transcribed? Not taken notes... but an actual transcript? And examined it after-the-fact?
    That would be most enlightening!

I don't buy Starbucks coffee. Say if I only bought 1 coffee a week, that would probably still be about $240 a year. If I pay money for a horse psychic reading, I figure, just like coffee, it's for "in the moment" enjoyment/entertainment only and feel comfortable pissing the money away. Ha.

Anyways, I have used a horse psychic a couple of times when they came out for "group" sessions. I had a fun time, it was $60 and we did a pot-luck and hung out listening to our horse's "stories" for the afternoon. Why not!

Now that my young horse passed away suddenly last week, I have the urge to call the psychic and get her to send him a message, to make sure he knows how much I adored our very short time together, and I loved him, and I miss him so much it hurts. I didn't really get to tell him before they put him down.

I don't care if it's "real" or not. :') It would just make me feel better.
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

I knew someone who did. That was when it was really clear how things were just so vague and could be made to fit a lot of horses...even the things we thought were so spot on. Honestly...it sort of took the fun out of things.

Only time it bugs me is when people make really wacky/dangerous horsemanship decisions based on what an AC told them---like my horse doesn't need to be vaccinated.

ETA: Just to be clear though...I do believe that some people could be psychic. I think there are things we just do not understand. I just don't put a lot of faith in ACs in general beyond entertainment or for our own personal reasons (such as if it helps you say good bye...then go for it).
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jan. 13, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Now that my young horse passed away suddenly last week, I have the urge to call the psychic and get her to send him a message, to make sure he knows how much I adored our very short time together, and I loved him, and I miss him so much it hurts. I didn't really get to tell him before they put him down.

I don't care if it's "real" or not. :') It would just make me feel better.
    Sorry for your loss. If you say on the one hand that it is for "in the moment" enjoyment and are not convinced it's real, why not pass your thoughts along yourself to your beloved horse? Undoubtedly you will feel better for articulating your thoughts, and IMO the use of a "middleman" in this case is probably unnecessary. There is no question that the act of prayer or meditation is enormously comforting to people--this sort of framing of our thoughts is probably the same.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Undoubtedly you will feel better for articulating your thoughts, and IMO the use of a "middleman" in this case is probably unnecessary.
    True. Although I think some sort of connection already happened... The vet called at 7am (I got home from the hospital @ 3am and was up again at 6am) with the news he had a hard night and it was time to make a decision: risky surgery or euth. She said I could have an hour, they would keep him comfortable until them.

While I was turning it over in my head, the sun started to show through the clouds and my bedroom wall turned the most unreal, shining, chestnut colour. It was the same shiny-penny chestnut that I saw when my mom's sweet old chestnut eventer mare was put down. I called them 10 minutes later to euth him.
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

I had never considered using an AC until my tried & true gelding started having major problems with a trainer I put him with. I was at my wits end, so called. Some was pretty general, a few hit home and were things she shouldn't have known. But what kind of floored me was this: I had a few minutes left so I asked about my 18 month old. Again, fairly general. But then she said that he keeps looking at his left shoulder but wouldn't "say" why. He was in a horrible accident as a yearling & had shredded that shoulder. Nothing on line anywhere about it that she could have found beforehand. It really kind of gave me pause.

Ask your horse if he likes a particular name you might like for him. I don't know why but the horses I've gotten to name or rename chose their new name when offered choices. I'll walk up to the stall or out into the pasture and simply ask "Could your name be ...? " It usually takes a few requests but at some point the horse will respond to a name. After that they act like that has always been their name. I have one horse that didn't want her name changed and while I thought her name "Munchkin" (she's 15 hands which is pretty average in our riding world) was an insult she did not respond to any other offering. So just ask and they will tell you when you've picked the right name.

Anita Curtis, the AC I worked with, will send a copy of your recorded session for an extra $5. Oh, and she even told a friend of mine exactly where in the house her new puppy was peeing, although the friend never mentioned the puppy as she was calling about her horse.

I am loving this thread. It's interesting, when the same subject is broached on HHO in the U.K. the insults REALLY fly, but not here (well, not much.) There's no 'it's your money, and if you enjoy the results, great' attitude in the UK!
    btw, anyone remember this article? http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...inskis-secrets
    It seems that someone or other called Anne Kursinski believes in ACs...
    my own experiences in this area:
    I have used 3 different ACs. The first was spot on about the horse in question, about whom she knew only the name and age, and had a photo. She described her personality, and many of her issues at the time, to a T.
    The 2nd AC was miles out on all 4 horses she 'read' (3 of mine, 1 of someone else's) and I told her so. She gave me a full refund, no question.
    The 3rd AC was very accurate on all 4 of mine (2 homebreds, one I've owned since she was a yearling). Also on a free reading she did for a stray rottweiler I found and subsequently managed to rehome successfully (dog warden was going to have her pts).
    I have my notes somewhere. My mares 'say' very amusing and sometimes enlightening things. One commented on the strength on the electric fencing here (yes, it has a kick like a mule). She also asked "what's the difference between fences and jumps?" which made me realise that I use the two interchangeably when I mean 'jumps', and that I should probably differentiate more.
    Their personalities are TOTALLY different and she got them all perfectly. I did not give away info, and was not hoodwinking myself. (as evidenced, I hope, by the fact that I told AC number 2 that she was obviously having a very very off day!)
    I'm intrigued enough by it that I want to go on a course to see if I can manage to do it, just for my own animals.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I'm guessing not too many people use ACs when their horses are doing absolutely beautifully with no issues or problems to speak of.
    Actually, DW, I did call an animal communicator when the horse was going beautifully, and had no problems that I knew of.

This was a number of years ago, when Fred was living at the show barn. I would consider myself a sceptic, but I also understand and accept that "there are more things under heaven" that I may or may not understand or know.
    How fax machines work, for instance.

I did call, an AC for fun, out of curiosity. I was careful not to give her too much information, but she did not ask for more than name, sex, colour, age.
    She did a 'body scan' to look for health issues, and said 'he is showing me his right front'.
    I disagreed with her saying the horse was absolutely sound, and had no issues. Which he was.
    A while later she came back to it and said, he is showing me his right front hoof, back inside quadrant.
    I still was flumoxed. He was sound. No issues...but wait a minute! A while back, he had overreached and torn his shoe off - a chunk of hoof was torn off the inside front quadrant.......
    I went out that day, felt his hoof and there was heat in that spot.
    He had of course been reshod, had not taken a lame step, trainer and farrier had not reported anything....

She said a few other things, personal things (Fred's observations about the trainer and his wife) that she could not possibly have known, and that I would not repeat in public.

The AC also reported two 'comments' from Fred about me, again that she could not possibly have known.
    Lucky guess? possibly. But I don't think so. If I could remember this woman's name/contact info I would use her again in an instant.

I also spoke to another AC a man - and
    he said those generic type things, and they were completely wrong.
    For example he said that Fred would like "more apples".
    Fred hates apples and will.not.eat.them.

I am with LaurieB on this one. I don't understand it, rationally it doesn't make sense to me, but there are things in the world we can't always explain.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

there are things in the world we can't always explain
    You'll get no "argument" from me on that! Meanwhile, our brains refuse to accept this and will go on frantically trying to do just that. The conclusions they (our brains) draw are largely (but not entirely) influenced by the owner of said brain. Which again, to me, is the interesting part.

I personally love reading stuff like this, whether or not it is completely accurate or not, I think on some level it gives us insight into our animals in a way we might not have seen before. At the very least we might be more conscientious of things we may not have realized before.
    I had a lady come out to do something like this after my boy and I had an accident while riding (He freaked out about something I couldn't see and I ended up getting dragged on the ground for about 10 feet and fairly injured) and after that he was very nervous and weird about being around me.
    So we had her out and she told me a lot of interesting things, such as he felt really guilty about the accident even though I told him it wasn't his fault and that he wasn't sure how to make me understand that he didn't mean it.
    Also, my horse had been very badly neglected and had been nearly starved to death before I got him, and she told me he had extreme tension in his body and that she felt that it was residual stress from his neglect. She said he was unable to fully move past the feeling of having come to terms with the fact that he thought he was going to die alone in that barn where he had been left. That made me flat out cry and after she left I spent about two hours massaging him and grooming him and telling him that he would never be alone and afraid like that again.
    Honestly It had never occurred to me that he would feel that way after he had been rehabilitated and brought into a safe loving home, but I'll always be grateful that it was brought to my attention.

I was at an animal rescue charity event and they had an animal communicator. My friend insisted I have a reading because the woman had helped her the prior year, made her feel better about her dog that had just passed away. I gave the woman my horse's name and description and asked her if my horse was happy. Then I put on my best poker face. In my work I do a lot of negotiating and dealing with difficult people and I have a lot of practice at not showing a reaction. She asked me leading questions and I politely avoided answering or giving her anything to work with. The AC got visibly frustrated with me and told me she couldn't help me. It was what I expected.

I felt bad though, because my friend was watching and said it was obvious the person was fishing for information and wasn't really psychic. That made my friend feel sad that the nice things she heard the prior year about her dog weren't true. I took away her faith.

Twenty years ago I was riding my then young and fiesty chestnut mare in a lesson. The trainer was standing just inside the quarter line and coaching me as I came down the quarter line. The mare was being surprisingly well behaved and going nicely. Then two strides before we reached the trainer I heard, in my head, clear as a bell "I could kick her right now". I yelled "look out!" and something in my tone of voice made my trainer move QUICK. The mare kicked out to where the trainer had been standing.

Maybe I heard her thoughts. It was phrased as "*I* could kick her" not "oh oh my horse is going to kick".

Or maybe my body picked up the minute adjustment of my horse's body as she prepped to kick and my brain decided to give me this information as a quote from my horse.

Maybe some animal communicators are real. Many are clearly phoneys. Maybe some think they are real but are picking up on cues from the person asking for the reading. Like Clever Hans the counting horse!