The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Where the grass is always greener on the other side.

I will have to say I was and still am a skeptic. I have never used one personally. I think it depends on the AC. Years, and I mean years ago, I leased a horse while I was in college. While home on break I visited my horse without the lessees knowledge. He had just had a birthday. I made a big fuss over him about how much I missed him and how it was his b-day and how he was such a big boy and how far he had come. I left and never said anything to the lessee. She then told me in our next conversation that she had an AC come out and that among other things someone had made a big deal about his b-day. She didn't know when his birthday was and was a bit confused. I confessed all and was astonished as well.

Fast forward several, and I mean several years, and I am at an Adult Riders camp and they have an AC there. I follow along and she TOTALLY led each question. I felt she was a hoax.

So while I actually believe in it because of past experience I truly believe it is a rare ability and too many take advantage (shysters) of it. That said I would be interested in Heinz contact.

OK- so why have none of these ACs gone to vet school a la Dr. Doolittle? They would be the best vets ever if they could actually talk to the animals and diagnose their problems. Oh yeah- because they can't really talk to animals- as DW says, they go off cues from the human and common sense about animals.
    My only AC experience was a client who had horses that my husband was called out to vaccinate. He was told that one horse did not need vaccinated for WNV because it had told the AC that it had a strong immune system. Humans can talk and they can't tell you if they have a strong immune system or not. Hokey.
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!

3 members found this post helpful.

H57, I think it is great fun to see what the AC's say but I am a big skeptic. Still, it is fun. I could spin everything she said for any of my horses though. And anything that just didn't fit would be forgotten or dismissed. It is the power of confirmatory biases. We just can't help but want to believe.... so then we do believe.

But I don't fault anyone who wants to talk with and believe an AC. I just happen to be way too much a scientist to believe.

OTOH, if you want to talk about extraterrestial stuff, I am all for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Aww, I thought you had left. And I probably should have recorded the conversation so that it may be transcribed for you, word for word, so that you might understand that I did not lead this woman into a story. The majority of my responses to things that she said was "OK" and "hmmm".

Delta, you don't have to "believe". It's ok. You can call me crazy, delusional, stupid, frivolous, indulgent, whatever. Call me The Chief Tinfoil Hatter if you like. I am well aware of your opinion about anything that hasn't been "proven" and "accepted" in the world of science.

What's the harm? This is fun. Don't be a party pooper. If the LMT finds something in that shoulder, I'm sure you'll have some explanation for the "coincidence".

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Thanks for sharing Heinz. Let us know what the massage therapist tells you.

For the record, my mare understands the english language far better than many humans, as attested to by more than one trainer and vet.
    I think my guy also knows how to read. HE certainly figured out which bag had the good tasty grain vs the bland boring grain when he got into my storage area. Pawed open the bag and was having a nice snack when I found him.

As a programmer I would tend to have a more realistic view of ACs, but after one experience with my mare I have come to accept that there are (and always will be) things we cannot always explain. Is it heightened awareness, energies, psychic mind power...who knows and it may never be measurable but I have faith there is something more going on to over come my cynical mind.

With that said (in the spirit of Heinz's point to not so much debate) when I got my first horse, Mercedes, I had decided to try an AC to help me understand why she would get so upset when tacking up. In almost every other aspect she was calm, but the moment a saddle came on her back she would get upset. I knew little of her background for I had rescued her and the previous owner was a less then honest lady. During that session the AC told me things from Mercedes that reflected what little I did know, but what we did not know at the time (and later discovered) was that she was ridden western for a while. Mercedes told me the saddle never fit and they would always hit her in the stomach when they put on the saddle. Keep in mind that the AC was remote, I never mentioned the indications of a saddle issues, but it did seems to make sense. My trainer and I adjusted how we saddled her and over time she mainly stopped being anxious. The vet and chiro had checked her out and felt nothing wrong with ribs, back or anything so we concluded it was past memories.

If it does nothing then make me feel better then I figure it is not harmful and like with Mercedes, maybe some good comes from it.

You asked an AC why your horse got upset when the saddle was put on, and were told that she had been roughed up while being saddled at one point. That's quite a reach! I'm pretty sure I could have divined that as a guess.

My son and I are rabid NFL fans. One night, a few years ago, we were watching our beloved Giants play the hated Cowboys and we were getting beaten at that point in the game. I looked at my son and grumpily said "Tony Romo needs to break his arm". (not the best parenting moment, I'll grant you) TWO PLAYS LATER, he broke his collarbone. Do I believe that I have powers of evil? No. Was it a creepy coincidence? Yes. Point being, our lives are FULL of coincidences. And our brains love nothing better than to connect the dots and make those things fit into patterns. But in this case there was no pattern--just a weird coincidence. Which left my son in awe, I must say.

ETA that speaking for myself, I don't necessarily believe that there can be no planes of understanding, levels of connection, etc. that may be out there to be discovered or experienced. I have no problem whatsoever with that premise. But I find the simpler explanations (coincidence, our psychological programming to make patterns, etc.) more plausible, that's all. Particularly when the template of these ACs seems so incredibly identical to the typical shlocky cold-reading psychics that are out there. A genuine medium might be out there somewhere, but I can't imagine why they'd waste their time with this sort of thing!
    Click here before you buy.

When I was in my mid-20s, I had a horse who was certified healthy, but kind of a PITA. After much angsting with trainer and friends, we all decided I might as well call an animal communicator. Just, you know, because, why not?

Did a phone reading and, she gave me *nothing* on the horse, but wanted to read my cats, too. So, I gave her the info on them and while she didn't say anything compelling about my Siamese, she did say about my second cat, "Oh, and he thanks you for the food!"

At the time, the Siamese was on a diet, so the second cat was getting some special "treat food" that the Siamese was not allowed to have. Well, can I tell you, I jumped on that like a dog on a bone! The communicator had nothing of interest to say about horse or Cat#1, but because she landed on that incredibly astute and obviously personal tidbit that Cat#2 was happy about the food, I was all starry eyed.

Took me about four years to come around to the realization that probably a lot of cats like their food.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    When I was in my mid-20s, I had a horse who was certified healthy, but kind of a PITA. After much angsting with trainer and friends, we all decided I might as well call an animal communicator. Just, you know, because, why not?

Did a phone reading and, she gave me *nothing* on the horse, but wanted to read my cats, too. So, I gave her the info on them and while she didn't say anything compelling about my Siamese, she did say about my second cat, "Oh, and he thanks you for the food!"

At the time, the Siamese was on a diet, so the second cat was getting some special "treat food" that the Siamese was not allowed to have. Well, can I tell you, I jumped on that like a dog on a bone! The communicator had nothing of interest to say about horse or Cat#1, but because she landed on that incredibly astute and obviously personal tidbit that Cat#2 was happy about the food, I was all starry eyed.

Took me about four years to come around to the realization that probably a lot of cats like their food.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    "Tony Romo needs to break his arm". (not the best parenting moment, I'll grant you) TWO PLAYS LATER, he broke his collarbone. Do I believe that I have powers of evil? No. Was it a creepy coincidence? Yes.
    I'm betting that if you'd told TR at the time, he'd've chosen the Powers of Evil option (where IS that lil devil dude emoticon anyways ...)

Of course this mean that you may apply for that JREF Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge
    (an excellent opportunity to out hoax the anti-hoaxers )

I did briefly get the goosebumps, no question. And felt pretty badly for old Tony. Also briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    Mercedes told me the saddle never fit and they would always hit her in the stomach when they put on the saddle. Keep in mind that the AC was remote, I never mentioned the indications of a saddle issues, but it did seems to make sense.
    You asked an AC why your horse got upset when the saddle was put on, and were told that she had been roughed up while being saddled at one point. That's quite a reach! I'm pretty sure I could have divined that as a guess.
    If you're going to argue, delta, and insist on refuting each poster's story individually, you should at least do a double check to make sure you read correctly.

I'm totally cool with people not believing in it/any of it. For me, it's similar to the religious debate about the existence of a particular deity, when you can't prove (or disprove) it's existence.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

My bad, or my confusion. I was using this statement as my reference in the horse with the saddle problem example.

I had decided to try an AC to help me understand why she would get so upset when tacking up
    Seems to be a pretty common complaint, anyway, saddles. I'm guessing not too many people use ACs when their horses are doing absolutely beautifully with no issues or problems to speak of.

If you are going to insist on interpreting simple banter and back-and-forth as "argument", maybe you're the one taking it too seriously.

Seems to be a pretty common complaint, anyway, saddles. I'm guessing not too many people use ACs when their horses are doing absolutely beautifully with no issues or problems to speak of.

If you are going to insist on interpreting simple banter and back-and-forth as "argument", maybe you're the one taking it too seriously.
    You keep saying this. I'm not "taking it seriously"... I just finished saying I don't give a hoot if ANYONE believes any of it. I'm just sitting here waiting for my bath tub to be installed (thanks, Papa Heinz!) and noticed that you keep coming back to argue each story posted - in this case, with an error in your comprehension.

I'm enjoying everyone's stories, there are some pretty interesting ones here!

It always makes me laugh a little at how serious everyone gets (even when the OP asked for this thread to not go in that direction)...to believe or not, and many people feel VERY (pro or con) strongly about this. For me, whatever brings me peace in this life...that is what I believe in. For those that "don't believe," I am glad that your experiences in life have brought you to this conclusion. My life has been different than yours, with different interpretations. I respect your right to believe whatever you want, as I respect my beliefs. Love all the stories by the way....smiles for you all
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

4 members found this post helpful.

My son and I are rabid NFL fans. One night, a few years ago, we were watching our beloved Giants
    Deltawave..Go Giants! A long time fan from when I lived in NJ (late 80s). I suffered through the SuperBowl season and the game, almost had a heart attack at mid 20s.

As to my story, I was attempting brevity in the interest of typing. We choose to have faith or believe in what we believe. I'm typically pragmatic and conservative about the world regarding what is not "seen", but I've also experienced enough to also feel there is more betwixt heaven and Earth to just dismiss out of hand. LIke the OP, I love the stories.

Now I am off to a jumping lesson in Way To Hot Weather for SC and a horse with just a partial clip.

Quote Originally Posted by HER View Post
    OK- so why have none of these ACs gone to vet school a la Dr. Doolittle? They would be the best vets ever if they could actually talk to the animals and diagnose their problems. Oh yeah- because they can't really talk to animals- as DW says, they go off cues from the human and common sense about animals.
    Maybe because the sight/smell of blood, guts, maggot infestations/cutting into an animal would make them puke, like me.

Oh, and I don't believe the stuff 99.9% of the stuff ACs say.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    Now I am off to a jumping lesson in Way To Hot Weather for SC and a horse with just a partial clip.
    I'm jealous. Very, very jealous. It's mid-20's here today, I just finished bucketing water out to my 3 horses and throwing more hay. And I haven't jumped anything in 3-4 months.

Here's my stories, just for fun. I also relate it to religion... its beyond actual comprehension but if you believe it then you just do.

I was having lameness issues with a resale pony I got. We'd done a lot of lameness exams and corrective shoeing and couldn't quite figure out what was wrong. At this time we had a COTH AIM chat and a bunch of college age kids would talk every so often. I made a video of said pony and sent it to anyone who was on AIM to assess, one being a gal who responded and said "yes, she looks lame. would you like me to talk to her and ask her whats going on? I'm an AC." and I said "sure!" Because... why not, right?

Anyway, she had the video, age and ponies name. Came back to me with a "lameness in the right hind, high." I pointed vet in that direction and found some chiro issues that we hadn't found before. Now granted, she'd seen a video of this pony moving, but none of us had been able to specifically pin point previous to this. She also was not in communication with me when she talked to the pony, so there was no "leading" me into questions or answers. She simply emailed me what she had said.

Same gal read my TB gelding, who was suffering from uveitis flair ups and I was treating him 4-5x a day. She knew his name, age and had a head shot of only his right side, so you couldn't see his bad eye.

She told me "he was happy to be spending so much time with me but not happy for the reason" that he "had a sharp pain near his left temple" and that "something I was doing near his eye made him feel better."

She explained that talking to a horse was like playing pictionary with a five year old, they speak in pictures and its up to her to try to interpret what is going on.

This last one was pretty good, too. My training level mare had gone from "I LOVE TO WORK!" to taking 90 minutes to catch, even with bribery. My farrier was there while I was trying to catch her one day (he is the most un-fluffy/froofroo person I've ever met) and when I finally caught her, I brought her in and he said "want me to have my AC talk to her?" again- why not?

Brandy had been fully vetted about 4 weeks earlier and had no issues. She has been the soundest horse on the farm.

AC had description of horse- color and markings and that she was located in TN. That's it. My farrier called me back a few days later to say she had spoken with Brandy and her back hurt. I was like "yeah, ok. whatever. this horse is totally sound." and then he said "she says you've been doing too much dressage with her (true) and that she can't work at that level (i'd been schooling prelim stuff) that often because of how she's built. But she really likes you and doesn't want to be bad under saddle so the only way she knew to tell you this was by not being caught in the pasture."

Got me hook, line and sinker. Had chiro out the next day- SI locked. Massage therapist confirmed tightness through back and ribs. By the end of her massage, she had her head in my arms and was licking and chewing. Let me catch her the next day. She had six weeks off and now comes to the gate when she sees me walk out of the barn. We're doing lots of hacks and stretchy work.

I'm a believer.

2 members found this post helpful.

How does he know what a moose is - plus know it's derogatory?
    You are what you dare.

Im a skeptic, but an experience I had shook me just a bit.

I was boarding at a barn, where the owner, and my good friend, would call an A/C periodically for the horses in her barn. She called her one evening and did a rundown on her horses. The A/C told her one of her ponies was showing pain in one nostril. She wrote it down (she always took notes), finished the conversation, and then we went out to the barn to do the final evening check and top of water buckets.

The pony as standing there with blood dripping from his nostril where he had hooked it on something in his stall and ripped about an inch long gash.

That was creepy.

okay... so let me get this right. Animal Communicators actually communicate with horses they've never seen and for whom they have only a brief description.

nooooo..... way.....

Even if you believe in communication via an alternate plane (and I do have a door open for this possibility),,,,, this just can't make sense.

I spent years doing social psychological research on confirmatory biases. One of my demonstrations was to give a classroom of around 500 students all the same personality description, based on "data" the university possessed. The students, almost every darn one of them, were absolutely stunned! How could the university know all these details about their personal lives and characteristics?

It was the segue into a discussion of how and why people are so convinced by horoscopes and "daily predictions." And boy did it get those kids thinking in scientific terms.

I admit that some of the events are interesting here, but we must realize that people are predisposed to hear what fits and not hear what does not fit...

I just wanted to give another story...

1 members found this post helpful.