The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Fun is defined in many ways. Sorry to rain on your parade .
    Random detail of the day:

Do you *really* have 33 THOUSAND posts on here? Holy cow!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I do not even find it amusing. The time the whole barn decided to chip in and let an AC do everyones horses, We all apparently had abused horses that hated spurs and had sore mouths from bad bits we used. OH and the water tasted funny!
    Last edited by Sannois; Jan. 12, 2013 at 07:15 AM.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Actually, I think the horses would be better off if they could hire a *human communicator*.

6 members found this post helpful.

I agree... I guess that puts me firmly in the "skeptic" camp. While I have sometimes considered talking to an AC about my guys purely for curiosity's sake, I don't believe it has any actual utility in revealing anything groundbreaking. I wouldn't expect to learn anything significant about their past or their soundness ... It would just be interesting to see if the AC got their personalities right!

Working on 34,000! Quiet contemplation and passive observation are not among my virtues.
    Click here before you buy.

8 members found this post helpful.

Default Still a skeptic, but truly believe...

I participated in an animal communications workshop for one weekend with my hunt club. The AC doesn't do the readings, but helps you to do it. Pretty freaky, but I am now convinced that we all have the ability to communicate with our pets...we just have to learn to trust the messages or images that are being sent. In the workshop we took turns asking other people like ourselves questions that we knew the answers to, such as what is your cat's favorite thing to do.

I got this question from someone, and a picture of a cat from my past came up running all around the house in her own made-up obstacle agility course. I had an actual picture in my hand of this person's cat which was fat and looked really lazy...so I thought no way was I getting the right message. But the AC said to say the first thing that pops into your mind, and when I asked if the cat liked to run obstacle courses, its owner couldn't believe I guessed correctly.

Then the cat's owner looked at a picture I had badly drawn of my dog that had just died, and described my fireplace hearth to a tee where my dog always liked to sleep. No hints were given, she just started describing a place he liked to sleep. The description included the blue streaks in the white marble, a chip on the corner and the green carpet along with the fireplace being right near my bed.

Neither of us were communicators or knew anything about the other person. The AC says we used to all be able to instinctually communicate, but over thousands of years lost the ability, because we stopped listening.

This particular communicator is working with health care professionals to come up with a way for computers to pick up signals from bed ridden patients without the ability to speak, to let their health care provider know when they are not comfortable and why.

8 members found this post helpful.

Well Heinz I am skeptical as the day is long, but I once tried an AC for a mare who was just baffling to me. I knew something hurt but she had other behavioral issues.

End result - a lot of "yeah, whatever" and one gem. The Yeah, whatever parts were that she said she didn't like lessons b/c she didn't like being told what to do. Hmmm, TB mare? Good guess. That there was 'too much jumping'. Except she hadn't been ridden in 6 months, nevermind jumped. That she was very pleased with her trot - her favorite gait. (reality? her trot sucked, and she had a gorgeous canter) And her RF was sore. (reality? She had a hind end lameness.)

BUT. She kicked her stall wall during feeding - as in the minute I got in the barn she backed up and kicked until she got her grain. I asked specifically about it. she said she was mad she didn't get fed first (true, I sometimes put grain in the other stalls first, even if she was the only horse in the barn and had hay) and kicked. I told the AC to tell her if she didn't kick, I would feed her first. If she kicked before I had a chance, I would feed someone else first. AC said we had a deal. She never kicked again. (and I held up my end and fed her first). The other stuff didn't fit, but this? Kinda freaky.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think I read somewhere that there is a "critical mass" of "hits" or "correct responses" for a cold reader to make before someone will consider the encounter successful. Something like 10%? So if ten bits of information are handed out and 9 of them are wrong or don't cause a connection, a typical person will accept the one thing that DOES seem to fit and call the interaction a successful one. The 90% inaccuracy is forgiven for the one pearl.

It is fairly common practice to feed a demonstrative or dominant horse that pitches a fit first. Horses don't believe in playing "fair" nor understand the concept of "if you do this then I'll do that" but they WILL knock off the rude behavior if their demand is met quickly. I humor Bonnie's demands to go out first every day, all the time (I dislike seeing her stand on her hind legs) and there is no nonsense whatsoever. Woe betide anyone who decides to "teach her a lesson" by making her wait. In her calculus, since she is the boss mare, she by rights should go out (and come in, and be fed) first. She doesn't care so much about how much simpler it is to just take horses out or feed them according to where their stall is located.
    Last edited by deltawave; Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Well, ever since I read this study that confirmed that dogs understand fairness:
    abstract: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...57105.abstract
    or news release: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=97944783

I've always extrapolated that horses understand "fair" as well. In training we just call it being consistent

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, one can and should of course handle horses in a fair and consistent manner. But from the point of view of an alpha or even somewhat high-status horse, it IS absolutely "fair" for them to come first when good things are happening. And they more than likely become confused if not POed when humans try to inflict seemingly random (to the horse) ideas of fairness on them like "I will feed the horse closest to the grain room first" when that horse might be the lowest one on the totem pole.

My horse definitely understands fair vs. unfair. If I screwed up a distance and really piled a fence, I had better apologize or the rest of the ride/lesson went reaaaaaalllly badly until we did something simple to end on a good note. If I did say something like "oh, sorry---my fault!" he would do it again after giving me a rather meaningful glance. Disclaimer: I'm a vet tech, so I anthropomorphize for a living.

I've never used an animal communicator, but my saddle fitter can be a lil hocus pokus-y. She loves my girl's energy (and I enjoy it too!) and one day told me that she was humming to her. She said my mare likes it when I sing (I have a terrible voice and only sing to her) and then hummed a tune that sounded like "Home Home on the Range."

I was like, my horse would never know that song. And completely discounted it.

The next day, I found myself humming the Sh'ma. And then it hit me! That was the tune my saddle fitter, who never heard Sh'ma, thought was Home on the Range! (never thought the two sounded similar until you don't know one and assume it's the other!)

And makes sense since whenever she is nervous, I sing or hum it to her for non particular reason other than I just have always done it. When we have no cares, I often sing other things.

Anyway, this woman was not paid for communicating and said something that floored me. Pretty cool stuff. I wouldn't say I'm a big believer, but we can't know everything.

I had a conversation with another boarder about this. She had spoken to an AC and I had said basically what Delta posted. She nicely basically said I was close minded etc. and that I didn't think horses had emotions. I said no...I believe in a lot of things that I can not see or hear. I actually believe that there are people who are more in touch with things and energy. BUT I think a lot of the crap they are saying is applicable to many horses and people latch on to the one or two things that fit with their own horse. That I question an ability to tune into a horse over the phone....and that most of the things said really just sound like they are applying human emotions to a horse...and that I don't think horses think like a human. I think their concept of time and emotion are different....not that they do not feel.

But if you have fun doing it....and if it does let you think about things in perhaps a different way....then it sounds worth it for you.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

DW, had I not tried ALL of that and more about the stall kicking to no avail I'd be more inclined to say it didn't matter. But I'd had the mare for a couple of years and this was a daily thing - I experimented very carefully. Including feeding her first on a regular basis. Trust me, this wasn't something I didn't notice! She would see me come in the barn, back up and kick the wall once or twice. Even before I'd gotten to the feed room. It was part of her little routine.

The day after I talked with the AC when I fed her I walked in the barn and we looked at each other and I thought about that part of the conversation. She did not kick the wall. And she didn't kick after that except on rare occasion. So most of what the AC said was bunk (and I've never called again), but I can't deny that a confirmed kicker stopped kicking, permanently.

Except on rare occasions.

I would think a good AC could do a world of good communicating with horses in this sort of a direct manner, telling them to get the heck out of abusive or starvation situations by simply jumping the fence and heading for the hills. Never heard of that happening, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventingjunkie View Post
    ... I am now convinced that we all have the ability to communicate with our pets...we just have to learn to trust the messages or images that are being sent."
    I believe this too. I also believe that the better you know your dog/cat/horse and how naturally empathetic you are the more accurate your "reading" or perception of your animals will tend to be. But, of course, you have to believe you can do this. I heard one AC explain how to find your lost dog. Clear your mind, visualize your dog, visualize their food bowl, visualize your dog, visualize their food bowl over flowing. Next time Pinch's mother Pounce was walkabout on the farm, I tried it. 5 minutes later Pounce was RUNNING down the driveway (not the way she usually ambled home). From that moment on, I could call Pounce mentally and she would always run home.

I believe I have communicated with many of my dogs on the level we're talking here, but mostly I know I'm using my knowledge of the individual dog to figure out whether they're happy, or why they are not. All I can say is that some of my dogs are more communicative than others. From some I have received inexplicable pictures that were found to be true (mostly from Pinch). One bitch who was pregnant "showed" me a litter of four puppies, all girls and how they were marked. It was in response to me asking her (not seriously, more just conversational) "How many puppies are you having Chapin?" The markings were minimal but distinctive and I felt/heard "girls" in my head. Two weeks later Chapin whelped 4 girls exactly as described - one all white, one mask, one half mask, one eye spot.

The reason why I contacted the AC when Siren (Chapin's all white puppy) became ill was because she had only "talked" to me once before, and I was really hoping she would tell the AC what was wrong. Siren was always very stoic and I found her response that she knew something was wrong but it wasn't going to stop her from competing was completely within her personality. Pinch and I had communicated many times, but apparently neither of us had wanted to mention the elephant in the room.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

My farrier told me about a reading he had done on a horse of his - this is all I know about the reading, but he prefaced the conversation to say he *was* a skeptic. Well, this horse was mostly retired, and the one thing he had to say was that he missed riding out on the rail trail, with the bells on. My farrier was surprised - the AC had picked on a specific action that he used to do with only this horse. I'm hoping to get my horse read soon - of course, I believe in this hook, line and sinker!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Obviously hearing things you want to hear is making you smile. This is also obviously what keeps people paying ACs, even if they insist it is only for "entertainment value". ACs, however, do not consider what they do as "entertainment", although they probably SHOULD.

One should not really have to pay another person to be told that subtle insights are evanescent and difficult to come by. But if one is willing to pay for someone else to tell them that their horse is smart, beautiful, athletic, or what have you--go for it. I can look out in the paddock and see that for myself. Or not! Self-delusion doesn't do much for me and the not-athletic, not-brilliant, not-beautiful ones are loved all the same.

Seriously, you don't think it's even REMOTELY plausible for a horse to have been in the presence of a field or a little girl? And that this revelation would be shocking or surprising? I'd find it shocking to hear that a horse had NEVER been in the presence of a big field or a child before. It's all how the cold reader "spins" these things. They provide the random keys. WE draw the connections. It's how our brains are wired, and it's incredibly hard to NOT connect dots, particularly if we want to. And anyone, even if they call themselves "skeptical", who avails themselves of this practice WANTS TO, on some level. This is also human nature and nothing to be ashamed of. But it does help to have an honest understanding of one's own motives and an appreciation of how very much our subconscious brains want to please us.
    The first time I used an AC, it turned out that my horse had a lot to "say". None of which was what I had intended to discuss.

She started out by telling the AC that she used to have 2 water buckets, now she only had 1 (the switch had been made that week) and that she wanted to have 2 again. Then she said that I used to feed her yellow apples and that how I was feeding her red apples (I was buying whatever was on sale) and that she liked yellow apples better.

Trust me, I was not giving the AC any clues or connecting any random dots about apples and water buckets, neither of which had anything to do with my agenda for the conversation.

Another time I used the same AC to talk to a racehorse at the track. The trainer was feeling heat in her withers but had no idea why. She was sound (and about to race) but he wanted to find the source of the heat first. The filly showed the AC that she had a rib out--caused by the tight overgirth in her previous race. The trainer had the chiropractor work on her--who confirmed that she did indeed have a rib out of place. And when that was fixed, the heat in her withers went away.

Count me in as a believer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedona View Post

But that's just my one reading. There is also the story if our stable's pony, Pockets. He was a grouchy little Quarter Pony from the start. He'd school all the new kids without a question. Ok maybe he'd pause to sneak a little grass, but otherwise he was a stinker. He'd pin his ears at you on the ground. One day my trainer had the communicator go talk to Pockets. He told her that he wished he had a person. He had always been a school pony, and he'd just like someone. So one day my trainer's daughter-in-law told him that she was his person. But he still had to help around at the farm. That pony has been a delight to handle ever since.
    After a similar "conversation" between one of the lesson horses and an AC at the barn where I taught, all of the lesson horses wound up with their own person. Usually a very long term student who was allowed to come out and take the horse for a graze or the occasional trail ride or just a groom, whatever they felt like. The horses definitely seemed to appreciate the extra attention from a consistent source. Regardless of this AC's skill, I still thought it was a pretty good idea.

I have had horses, cats, and dogs read on occasion. I have no idea if the AC's are bogus or not, nor do I care. I find it entertaining and it is my money so I can spend it where I will!

None of these animal communicators could use a spare million bucks?

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...c-changes.html

Not even to donate to charity? If it's real... there's a pretty sizeable reward waiting. Funny no animal communicators, psychics, spoonbenders, or other similar folks have stepped up to claim the prize. Easy money!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/