The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jazzed horse doesn't want to work well

Jazzed, not in his temperament but in his way of going. Bluey suggested I post here. Here's some background:

Last summer, lameness attributed to hocks. Injections helped and he was fine.

This winter (sporadic riding outside in Michigan) and he's *cranky* and nqr. New vet gives chiro adjustments and puts him on Adequan. We just finished the first month of saturation...inj every 4 days. Now we do a month of 1 inj per week. Then presumably to maintenance of 2 inj per month. Probably injecting hocks around beginning of April.

Problem...he goes all joggy at the walk, really fast when he does flat walk...strung out and jarring walk. Today I had to run him into the lope. He has lost weight (he needed to) and maybe his sides have gone away. Or he's ignoring the cue. Or he's too sore.

He tacked up today while eating his hay...not tied. During the last year he would turn to bite me when I saddled. I figure the problem with his right withers is much better now so he's not wanting to bite me. Vet said thurs that his right withers/shoulder and left him are still giving him some problems and the right lead would be harder for him.

He gets 10-12 hours of turnout in a stable herd of 3. No food fights or chasing...they get along really well.

Should we be looking at something other than pain issues? Blood work. Haven't done a complete panel since the ppe almost 6 years ago. He's been healthy as a horse except for his arthritis/pain issues. Not a mean bone in his body and thoroughly enjoys hanging with people. Even in the barn by himself.

I'm flummoxed about why he's so inconsistent in his riding. He can't hold a gait or self-carriage for more than 10-20 feet. I'm constantly correcting him. He's a completely trained equitation horse...can lope from a stand still, etc. Today I let him trot out with a posting trot. Posting made him want to *go* even more. And yet on Monday when I rode, at the end of a typical, jiggy workout he gave me the most beautiful rocking chair lope. No up and down, it was like a glider. I thought WOW, WE'RE FIXED!!! Not.

All I do is correct all the time...his gaits, steering, etc. I'm about half-halted to death!

Any ideas or similar experiences.

Low selenium plus or minus low vit e?

Lyme or other tick borne disease?

EPM?

If all of those are crossed off the list, and the vet says he's sound, (although you may find this thread here about my issues interesting) then:

Just not being worked as consistently as he needs? Do you have a trainer or mentor who might be able to take a look and give some advice?

Have you tried simple neuro tests on him?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

He's just starting on a selenium/vit e supplement; mainly because the epm horse is getting it.

His chiro vet has given him simple neuro tests...if I'm interpreting your meaning correctly. Trotting over cavaletti's, turning, etc. We have a recovery epm horse in the barn and our symptoms are nothing like what his were.

I'm wondering if ulcers could be a factor. It took him 2 years to emotionally make the move when I bought him. He went from the only family he'd known for all of his 6 years, down south, to moving up north with me. Now there's the possibility of stress with the arthritis, all the injections, the chiro adjustments.

Where's the best place to start if I suspect ulcers or even just want to rule them out?

You can try a week of gastrogard and see what happens. Not a definative diagnostic but if he suddenly is hugely improved, it's a place to start. Or just have him scoped and get a real answer.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Ruled out ulcers?
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Vet and I haven't talked about ulcers. We've focused on the nqr soreness issues. I'm thinking there's more going on that just that.