The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Get Grandpa a hard keeping OTTB that needs to be a pasture puff. He can shovel food at him constantly, just to maintain his weight.
    This! Benefits all around. Oliver gets a companion, Grandpa gets a "job". Feed the horse, groom him, spend time with him. Win/win! Also, maybe tell grandpa that Oliver has to be on a special diet so he doesn't get sick.

2 members found this post helpful.

She tried letting Grandpa hay the mini and she explained founder, etc. to him. And I hope no one's seriously suggesting that they get a high-maintenance OTTB for an older person who can't seem to follow basic instructions and has no apparent interest in what people have learned about equine health in the last 50 years.

I would have gotten the mini out of there after he was fed two quarts of sweet feed. Yikes.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Is there a spot in the barn where you can lock up the feed? Then put enough food for the day for grandpa to feed at will. I would be a bit worried about grandpa going out and buying his own feed though..that can only be solved by moving the mini.

Oliver is moving up to our house this weekend. I have removed everything from the barn including chicken feed so hopefully we will be safe for 36 hours.

I just left quite a bit of hay in his stall so he'll have quite a bit left in the morning.

That's as good of a temporary fix as I'm going to get. Then by Saturday, he'll be moved and the problem will be solved.

Then, grandpa can go back to feeding his chickens and turkeys and Oliver will live to see another day.

5 members found this post helpful.

As I understand it, Grandpa owns the farm, and you are boarding the mini there for free? I understand you are buying the mini hay & feed, but are you also paying any board?

Poor Grandpa...can you get him a starved rescue dog/cat/horse?? At least now you've saved Oliver from unintentional harm. I'd be crazy too.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    Oliver is moving up to our house this weekend.
    Great! Best option for sure. I suspect Grandpa may have just been asserting his right to do things his way, on his farm.

Bringing them home is the best way to having it done your way, next best to paying for board & visiting frequently enough to be sure your instructions are being followed, or you can threaten to take your boarding $$ elsewhere!

You should be commended for how tactful you've been with grandpa. I would have had a "come to Jesus" talk with him, grandpa or no.

I'd padlock the hay and grain. With a key padlock, not a combination padlock. I'd keep the key on my person, like on a lanyard around my neck or in the tampon case in my purse, someplace grandpa would never ever look. I'd put the grain in a metal trash can and then padlock that, too.

If he gets mad, just pretend you can't hear him and walk away. Only acknowledge that you can hear him when he finally says something acceptable.

My father is severely personality disordered. I've learned that operant conditioning (aka "Clicker Training") works on humans too.

It sounds like he couldn't care less what you have to say. Did he pat you on he head, too? You have class. Yay you!

Regards,
    Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    As I understand it, Grandpa owns the farm, and you are boarding the mini there for free? I understand you are buying the mini hay & feed, but are you also paying any board?

No. We don't pay board. However we pay the electric bill for the barn, and help pay towards the property taxes along with keeping the barn clean and orderly. Doing any repairs that need to be done. My husband rewired all the electric and has replaced a lot of the wood siding.
    The family has always considered this more than enough for the stall Oliver lives in.

Great plan! You already tried options involving getting Grandpa to feed Oliver a reasonable amount, you explained laminitis and colic -- he was going to do it his way no matter what. I'd bet if you'd locked up the feed or taken it all away, he'd have just bought his own, since he fed poor Oliver treats all over the place when you took his food away -- or he'd have given him God know what from his own kitchen. Good, good job for saving Oliver.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Good plan. I'm sure he thinks he's helping..but he won't understand until it is too late.

I'd also look into getting a small hole hay net for your little guy, whether it be a Freedom Feeder (they DO come in mini size ), cinch chix, or nibble net. This will prolong his hay and should keep him entertained.

St Germain beat me to it.

You might wnt to get a good book on horse nutrition and a scale, a weight tape and let grampa get an idea of the ratios needed.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I feel your pain...our neighbors used to shovel their lawn mower clippings into the horse pasture, after they'd been sitting in a heap in the sun for hours.

I didn't realize it until I happened to go to get the horse one day, and saw them chowing down on the pile.

I immediately told the neighbor to stop, or he would kill my horses (I realize there wasn't a 100% chance of death, but I made it seem that way to get my point heard). He stopped immediately, though.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Get Grampa his own mini! I am in PA and have an already fat mini that needs a new home. He's free. There's no way Gramps would ever think Charlie was starving.

Oh, and he drives too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Get Grandpa a hard keeping OTTB that needs to be a pasture puff. He can shovel food at him constantly, just to maintain his weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    This! Benefits all around. Oliver gets a companion, Grandpa gets a "job". Feed the horse, groom him, spend time with him. Win/win! Also, maybe tell grandpa that Oliver has to be on a special diet so he doesn't get sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Poor Grandpa...can you get him a starved rescue dog/cat/horse?? At least now you've saved Oliver from unintentional harm. I'd be crazy too.
    Are you people NUTS??

You're actually suggesting that the OP get "Grandpa" his own horse??? Isn't it enough that he absolutely refuses to listen to the OP as to the proper care of HER horse? What in heaven's name makes any of you think he won't kill a horse of his own with "kindness", just as he's killing hers? Good grief.

Oh, calm down. The situation is resolved. My offer, for one, was rather tongue in cheek.

Maybe some just felt compassion for an old man looking for a bit of love from an animal and a sense of purpose. Nobody thought the OP was going to do anything to put more animals in harm's way. You can go ahead and untwist your knickers.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Maybe some just felt compassion for an old man looking for a bit of love from an animal and a sense of purpose. Nobody thought the OP was going to do anything to put more animals in harm's way. You can go ahead and untwist your knickers.
    This was my thought. Old man wanting to be helpful and not so much not listening but his desire to be helpful out weighed logic. Not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by californianinkansas View Post
    You should be commended for how tactful you've been with grandpa. I would have had a "come to Jesus" talk with him, grandpa or no.

I'd padlock the hay and grain. With a key padlock, not a combination padlock. I'd keep the key on my person, like on a lanyard around my neck or in the tampon case in my purse, someplace grandpa would never ever look. I'd put the grain in a metal trash can and then padlock that, too.

If he gets mad, just pretend you can't hear him and walk away. Only acknowledge that you can hear him when he finally says something acceptable.

My father is severely personality disordered. I've learned that operant conditioning (aka "Clicker Training") works on humans too.

It sounds like he couldn't care less what you have to say. Did he pat you on he head, too? You have class. Yay you!

Regards,
    Amber
    Not all old people are like your father (I had one somewhat like yours, we did my version of clicker training and it worked. It was the 3 strikes and your out for the day plan).

Sounds like the OP handled it well.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Well, it's nice that you have the option to move Oliver to your place. That will be a relief. Oliver might be pretty bummed though!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by californianinkansas View Post

Regards,
    Amber
    Not all old people are like your father (I had one somewhat like yours, we did my version of clicker training and it worked. It was the 3 strikes and your out for the day plan).

Sounds like the OP handled it well.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    He already has a bunch of stray cats that he stuffs to the fills with kibble. That makes him super happy. Although he won't let us catch them to spay and neuter them either. :/

The chickens and turkeys are kind of a family wide endeavor as well but he has definitely claimed them as his so he feeds them as well. Wr don't worry too much....can't really over feed a chicken. They seem to stop eating when their crop gets full.

But yes, for the most part I think he has good intentions. He's the oldest living generation on the farm and I think that gives him a sense of "listen to me." No one really challenged his animal feeding techniques before DH and I got together. And really the only reason I don't back down is for Oliver's health. I'm really the only one on the farm who knows horses. I guess he's having a hard time accepting what someone else has to say....which is why I was trying to be tactful and educational.

Oh well. Oliver will be sad that he doesn't have free reign of grain and treats but he'll survive.