The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    Coming from hunters, I was used to claiming one jump with my trainer, have her start it low, move it up, open up the ground line, add or take away "peep" poles, etc. Imagine my surprise when I come to my first event and not only is it not the norm to take a jump and adjust it, but you can only jump it ONE direction!

I'm not a rules guru in eventing...but I don't see why if the warmup wasn't too busy if you couldn't have your trainer help you and then immediately fix the jump.

My eventing trainer won't stand next to my jump...is that the norm? I'm used to my h/j trainer standing next to it...

Haha, I am the opposite, I fear jumper shows because I usually go without a trainer and I *can't* warm-up without jumping other people's "claimed" fences (with their permission of course).

Just to clarify on your quote, your trainer CAN stand next to the fence in eventing warm-up and change the height/spread per the rules. Though others may need to jump it too--you can't claim it as your own. But your trainer CAN'T add a placing pole, even if they "immediately fix it" because that violates the warm-up rules (just as you can't warm up in draw reins).

Do your national rules follow FEI rules? (Ours do). Because if so, you can have a pole on the landing side:

5.2. Placing Poles: if there is enough space placing poles may be used and placed on the ground not closer than 2.50 m on the take-off side of a vertical obstacle not exceeding 1.30 m in height. A placing pole may be used on the landing side not closer than 2.50 m when the obstacle is jumped at the trot or three metres if at the canter . From http://www.fei.org/sites/default/fil...13_clean_1.pdf

Somewhere there are pictures of allowed and not allowed fences (obstacles) in the warm up area but I can't find it for the life of me.

Apparently not

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    Do your national rules follow FEI rules? (Ours do). Because if so, you can have a pole on the landing side:

5.2. Placing Poles: if there is enough space placing poles may be used and placed on the ground not closer than 2.50 m on the take-off side of a vertical obstacle not exceeding 1.30 m in height. A placing pole may be used on the landing side not closer than 2.50 m when the obstacle is jumped at the trot or three metres if at the canter . From http://www.fei.org/sites/default/fil...13_clean_1.pdf

Somewhere there are pictures of allowed and not allowed fences (obstacles) in the warm up area but I can't find it for the life of me.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    Haha, I am the opposite, I fear jumper shows because I usually go without a trainer and I *can't* warm-up without jumping other people's "claimed" fences (with their permission of course).

Just to clarify on your quote, your trainer CAN stand next to the fence in eventing warm-up and change the height/spread per the rules. Though others may need to jump it too--you can't claim it as your own. But your trainer CAN'T add a placing pole, even if they "immediately fix it" because that violates the warm-up rules (just as you can't warm up in draw reins).
    I would suggest bringing a friend to your jumper shows and help set fences for you. That would probably be the easiest way if you don't have a trainer with you...OR if you have any friends/nice neighbors at the show, asking them. Usually they would be more than happy to help as long as they aren't showing at the same time!

FWIW, I have found that when you are there on your own, the best people to ask to change jumps for you are moms of junior riders... the worst are young (20s) trainers, who usually give the eye roll and sometimes are snotty about having adjusted the oxer so that the back rail is lower than the front rail-- but I haven't ever actually had anyone NOT fix the fence for me once I asked politely. It took me several years to work up the nerve though-- including one memorable time when the biggest fence I jumped in stadium warmup was 2'9-- before going Prelim

I agree that placing poles, ESPECIALLY ones after a jump, can be very dangerous in a busy warm-up area. I totally agree with the ban.

Do what you need at home and wean yourself from using them to place your horse. You need to better develop an independent eye that can find the distances and stop relying on the poles.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

IMHO, if you're at a show and feel the need to "claim" a fence in order to warm up, you need more practice at home... rather than a pseudo-lesson in the warm up.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by allison finch View Post
    I agree that placing poles, ESPECIALLY ones after a jump, can be very dangerous in a busy warm-up area. I totally agree with the ban.

Do what you need at home and wean yourself from using them to place your horse. You need to better develop an independent eye that can find the distances and stop relying on the poles.
    Gee. Thanks for the riding lesson.

I don't actually believe I asked for any thoughts on my riding or why I like this particular exercise. All I wanted to know was why there was such a drastic difference between our rules and the h/j world rules. I got my answer, makes a lot of sense, and there's some interesting bits of discussion about the difference between USEF rules, FEI rules, and other countries' rules. No need to be a crank to someone you don't know who asked a reasonable question about a perfectly acceptable exercise that most of the good trainers I've lessoned with use to some degree or another (it is basically the SIMPLEST form of a gymnastic).

Maybe I'm still a little road weary and cranky from driving the truck and trailer in crappy conditions so much the last couple of days, but your comments really rubbed me the wrong way.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

YB... I'd put your reaction down to yes, you are a bit cranky. I saw nothing wrong with the post you quoted and harped on. She made a comment then a suggestion. Nothing wrong with that at all because she's right. You may have already thought of it, but she didn't know that.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike