The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Why so much soft rock elevator music (or muzak lol)?

I much prefer the classical music or the dance music (ala Portugal's rider in the olympics).

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    There seemed to some disparity from the judges in Steffan Peters' scores..
    Yeah! Was it a 9 point disparity? Anyone know which judge was at each of letter? Clark was at C. That's all I remember.

I honestly thought Steffen's was the best of the last group.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

1 members found this post helpful.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kolibri View Post
    Hmmm
    It's very nice to watch it and I am glad that my buffering has caught up.

I'm not a professional rider, and I am fairly new to getting behind a horse's rhythms, gaits, etc. in the Dressage world. It means, I am only now in the beginning processes of trying to train myself to actually see when a horse's rhythm is off (it doesn't help that I have absolutely zero musical talent and a bad feeling for rhythm myself).
    With that last ride: Heather Blitz on Paragon. Was it just me, but was he just a tad bit short-strided with his right hind. Not lame, or stiff. Just... a bit shorter strided than with the left hind?

Just curious if I'm just "seeing" things, or whether it was really there, or was it the Camera perspective?
    I loved seeing quite a few horses actually at the vertical or even slightly before it, rather than far behind it (Steffen Peters) He had a nice, giving hand there, I think
    After seeing Paragon warm up and go yesterday and today, I don't remember any uneven stride. He can get very excited and animated behind. He is absolutely magnificent in person.

One thing I will say is that seeing these rides live is NOTHING like the videos. You can see and sense so much more. The placings were right on, though very close between Steffen and Patrick. Patrick's horse was awesome.

Oh,forgot to add, there was not a single horse that didn't show overtrack in the extended trot, and for most it was significant. Very hard, if not impossible, to judge this from a video. This is for the comments I often see where people wax poetic about the olden times when everything was perfect and horses farted classical
    butterflies and never once dreamed of leaning on the bit.
    Last edited by LarkspurCO; Jan. 27, 2013 at 02:45 AM.

6 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the view from up front!
    Video often doesn't catch the nuances that are apparent when you are watching "in person".

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Thanks for the view from up front!
    Video often doesn't catch the nuances that are apparent when you are watching "in person".
    True, but there's something to be said about replay and pause.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    Yeah! Was it a 9 point disparity? Anyone know which judge was at each of letter? Clark was at C. That's all I remember.
    At E- Isabelle Judet, Fr. At H - Hans Christian Matthiesen, Dk.
    At C - Stephen Clarke, GB. At M -Lilo Fore, USA. At B-Gary Rockwell, USA

http://www.usefnetwork.com/featured/...essageMasters/ Go to the sidebar with individual horses and ridrs listed, and click on the horse/rider team and the video will load. You have to listen to a commercial or two...

YOu can watch video at this link from the GP. I've watched a few now - in general, I thought the judging was pretty good - although a few scores that I thought were a bit off. Love Kittel's ride - except the first halt and collected walk.

Hoping they post the freestyles soon.

Larkspur - you are right, I saw some great extended walks - hard to tell on video, but you can tell they are overstriding and really reaching. Also some really nice piaffe and passage!

I thought the results were right on. I loved Tinne's ride and her horse. Everyone had a good walk with the exception of Wizard - he was very tense last night. I loved Adrianne's sense of humor about it - after all, what can you do? The GP special is on the USEF site, hopefully the kur rides will be up soon, too.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Final results aside, it seems that international level dressage is now made up of two different types of riding (training). Stiff, mechanical riding which affects the horse's way of going and overall appearance, and then a soft, sympathetic method which also affects the horse's way of going and overall appearance.

The first looks as if the rider has put the horse in a box and is determined to keep him in there.

The second looks as if the rider is guiding the horse to allow him to express himself.

Both methods accomplish the written requirements of the test.
    Yet each one gives a much different impression.

Which one is truly the art of riding ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Impatiently waiting for them to post the freestyles. Hope there aren't copyright issues that prevent them from making them available on video on demand feature.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    The second looks as if the rider is guiding the horse to allow him to express himself.
    Adrienne Lyle may take exception to the part about horses expressing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    After seeing Paragon warm up and go yesterday and today, I don't remember any uneven stride. He can get very excited and animated behind. He is absolutely magnificent in person.

One thing I will say is that seeing these rides live is NOTHING like the videos. You can see and sense so much more. The placings were right on, though very close between Steffen and Patrick. Patrick's horse was awesome.

Oh,forgot to add, there was not a single horse that didn't show overtrack in the extended trot, and for most it was significant. Very hard, if not impossible, to judge this from a video. This is for the comments I often see where people wax poetic about the olden times when everything was perfect and horses farted classical
    That is what I have been telling folks. The perspective from being there and seeing the entire ring and seeing that perspective is not the same as video where usually the camera is on just the horse and rider. Does not allow to see the full spectrum.

I wish I would have been there with you all.

Not very many videos up.

The GPS and kur videos are up!

Anyone know what kind of saddle Heather Blitz is riding in?

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Anyone know what kind of saddle Heather Blitz is riding in?
    I've read that it's a Custom Saddlery Wolfgang Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post

Thank you I suspected it was angle and "me" As I said, I am still learning things and trying to figure stuff out. I'm a bit of a super deep grass greenie to the whole thing I will rewatch the videos. Congratulations on being up front I believe it is the most amazing thing to really be in the middle of things and see and feel it up close. Thanks for sharing

Edit: and yes the classical times and masters and their horses all pooped pink I am very proud of the old German Masters and still love watching their rides, but I also believe that science and training nowadays have added lots of good (also bad, but definitely also lots of good. Just look at the saddle development compared and its impacts on riding and training for example I believe that the development in the gear plays a role in the freedom of movement the horses can display.)

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    I've read that it's a Custom Saddlery Wolfgang Solo.
    Thanks! That's ringing a bell in the recesses of my brain...