The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Newbie seeking advice on brass v. stainless to purchase synthetic harness

New member here. I am ready to upgrade from cheesy synthetic harness to good synthetic harness. May never show but would like to have the right stuff just in case (for trials/CDE). My question is about matching the harness hardware to the carriage. The gig seems to fit the horse. It has natural finish with green painted axles and undercarriage, tan-colored pinstriping, and brass rein-rail and shaft tips. The shafts are wrapped with black leather and the seat is tufted neutral/ tan. How dreadful is it to have stainless fittings for such a rig? I think I would prefer stainless for two reasons: stronger than brass, and it's what's available on Zilco harness. (There is a local Zilco dealer who will outfit and provide expert training if desired.) Another brand that calls to me, Camptown (have not contacted the owner yet), is available with brass but there is still the strength question. If you were me, what would you do? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Stainless. Switch the brass out on the cart to stainless, too, in time.

1 members found this post helpful.

Get the Zilco harness and change your fitting to stainless on you vehicles(carriage/cart).

I would only consider brass on a leather harness. If you are going to a CDE I wouldn't worry about it at all. A gig should not have a rein rail any way. Are you sure it is a gig? I would remove the rein rail, change the tips (easy and cheap) and paint the rest of the hardware black.

You may have a meadowbrook? Yes? Post a picture.

But as the others said, SS. Brass is so formal, it only really works well on a leather harness (aesthetically), otherwise if you're just trying to "dress up" a bio harness, it just doesn't look right. It won't win a turnout class, but you sound like you are more gearing to HDT/CDE, so stainless would be more appropriate anyway.

Thank you all for your responses, very helpful, especially since you are unanimous! I'd been calling the carriage a meadowbrook but an appraiser called it a gig. If I can figure out how to post pics then you can bet I will, especially for harness fit and safety tips from ya'll. Again, thanks so much!

I was going to post a picture of a gig but couldn't figure it out either LOL They need to make this site so you can post a picture directly and not have to have it on a web page. But a Gig body sits above the shafts. The whole body including where your feet go are above the shafts while a meadowbrook is much lower.And if I am not mistaken all meadow brooks are mounted from the rear. The seat flips up and over so you can get in.A gig you mount from a step in front of the box.

You have to pay to become a Premium Member on the Chronicle Forums, which will allow you to post photos on the site. The rest of us use a link to a public photo site to post our photos for viewing.

This is a picture of a meadowbrook, and this is how you can post a picture:

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...7/100_1037.jpg

Christa