The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

As the others said, you are not too old. 53 here with a crappy spine. I have my ASB's for when I'm feeling fresh and a TWH for my not so fresh days.

My sister is nearly 60 she rides in the mountains, where she lives. Her riding partner is 70 they ride some scarey stuff.

However, be smart about your choices, she recently bought a rather green 6 year old MFT as an extra horse, that she cannot make herself ride. She even says it's me ( he did something that scared her) and she just can't get beyond that hurdle. She even said you (me) probably would think nothing of it. So she bought another anyone can ride so I have something when I go visit. Love my sister!

I apologize in advance to mare lovers, I would stick with geldings.

1 members found this post helpful.

My story with Toadie is similar to the OP's. It took him 5 yrs. to convince me he'd be better off with someone else. Poor guy

While searching for something smaller, and less "talented", I was talked into taking yet another big, green OTTB. I knew, and trusted, the sellers and they said he was quiet. Since the price was right I took a chance and he's absolutely perfect for me

Recently my SO expressed an interest in getting a horse to trail ride. It took me about 2 seconds to launch into another search and this past weekend I picked up a 15.1 QH for a 30 day trial. He's 56, and has ridden some but has never had his own horse. Keep your fingers crossed. Maybe I'll end up with a little horse after all.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Definately not too old... I bought a 6 year old thoroughbred when I was 59, he was pretty green but kind and sensible, He is turning out to be the best horse I have ever had.Everthing I learned on my previous horses I can apply and he is athletic enough to just do them, finally I can put my 20 plus years of experience to use.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    I am not quite 50 yet ( May). I have found that what I desire in a horse has changed dramatically in the last 10 years . I want them calmer, smaller and just don't want something with so much energy that it wears me out to get them calm and focused so we can just go for a ride.
    Well hello twin! I'm 50 this year too.
    After struggling with the wrong horse for over 10 years, I just shipped my new horse off to a trainer to be sold after having him less than a year. It just wasn't the right fit, and I didn't want to go 10 years again. Horse too big, gaits too big, horse more athletic than I can ride nowadays. By the end of warmup, horse was just going good and I was done in!
    So, I'm going to look at a horse at least a full hand shorter, more of a draft type, and quiet. I want to enjoy riding again!

I just turned 59 today, and i am planning to buy a young (under 3) "project horse" in the next few mohths.

I am also planning to event Belle at Prelim.

You are DEFINITELY not too old.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

3 members found this post helpful.

I am going to be 59 next month. My current horse is a TB that I have owned since she was a yearling. She is 18 this year. I am currently window shopping for another horse to be working with to step into her shoes when she needs to retire.Hopefully retirement will be a ways off. Both her sire and dam lived well into their 20's(sire 26-put down due to pasture injury, and dam still alive- think she is 27 this year). I do alot of different riding activities from trail riding, to combined tests (low level), musical freestyle dressage(again low level), hunter paces, occasional fox hunting, team penning. I plan to ride until I can't sling my leg over the saddle anymore. Then I will probably try driving.

I was listening to some Joseph Campbell tapes last night (The Power and the Myth) and in the first five minutes he said " As we age, we usually go from an achievement stage into an enjoyment stage". Sounds to me like you are getting older and wiser.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Hubby had an aunt who rode till she was 90-something. She was my heroine!!

Erm, not to be indelicate, but what in the world is that kind of question about you're 57 and should you buy another horse?? What?? Of course, you should buy another horse if you WANT to. Until you're planted, you can buy all the horses you'd like!!

From what I'm reading, the smaller, well broke horse trail horse is the thing now. If you get color, bonus points. Where I live, there are some horse pages of free or cheap horses, just begging for homes. I mean, some nice horses!! People are in a tight and need to offload.

I'm similar in age to you, you're a 'tad' older, but, I'm thinking of trying a mini this next time. There is so much you can do with the squirt and, around here, the mini coalition is pretty active. Cheaper to feed and lots to do with them.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Born View Post
    For some reason, letting go of my current mare is especially hard,even though she hasn't been all that fun to ride for awhile.
    When you find her that perfect home and see her doing what she enjoys I am guessing you will be smiling about it.

I was the kid that rode all the time. Then my girlfriend and I only rode once a year at a trail riding place once my kids came along. When my youngest wanted riding lessons and winter struck I said the heck with standing in the cold watching and started mother-daughter lessons with her. That was about 15 years ago...

We now own a small horse farm for our six horses plus a girlfriend's boarded Halfie mare. I gifted my unsuitable QH to my daughter as he was spooky and I completely lost my nerve over the years waiting for the buck to happen. I did buy another horse, an Appy mare who was completely lovely in the saddle but an absolute WITCH on the ground. Kept her six months and then sold her to a girl that loves her to bits.

I finally have my heart horse who is a 13.2hh Paso Fino mare. She is forward, a titch hot when you first get on, but she has never given me a moment's pause in the two years I have owned her.

My point? If you can find a way, get thee another more suitable horse! Your best years are still ahead!! I'm 52, stiff, arthritic, and having the best time of my life now! I am showing a gaited Paso in local dressage competitions and coming in second place to my daughter with her awesome Thoroughbred. I have actually beaten her once or twice to both our shock!!

60 is the new 50 dontcha know!
    Last edited by Black River Farm; Jan. 11, 2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: fixing typos... oops!

Indeed, I should have pointed out in my post(s) that my forum name is not a misnomer on the "ponies" part of it...I have one Arabian mix at 13.2HH and an Appendix mix at 14.1HH. Plus a mini. SMALL is just fine! I used to ride big ol' OTTBs and Warmbloods and Hanoverians...I have found smaller is just great (I am also petite myself)...and I have experienced the "not nice horse/it's not a match" thing and did the tough thing to rehome instead of beat my head against a wall (or get seriously injured!)...and I am so glad I did! I have wonderful ponies now and it was alllll worth it. Indeed, life is too short...look ahead at ENJOYMENT!

You are definitely not too old..I am 56 and bought my young, green mare last year and am having a ball with her. I figure that we will still be having fun together when I retire. I do echo the earlier poster who said you should make plans for your horse in your will. Fortunately in my case, my DD rides, so I will leave the mare (or whatever horse I may have at my death) to her and let her make the decisions about the horse's future.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Smile The dark side

Quote Originally Posted by over60 View Post
    I am closer to 70 than 60 and have been a horse owner for more than 50 of those years. After losing my heart horse, a home bred TB, I bought another horse that I tried to mesh with for 7 years before finally admitting that she and I were not compatible. I sold her, bought another that I had for less than a year before admitting that he was too forward for me. My new guy is a 15 hand, 14 year old QH with a roping, cowboy shooting background. He and I are perfect for each other. He is a great trail horse who looks but doesn't spook. I am confident and comfortable, he thinks he is in horse heaven as a trail horse with less stress. I am hoping that he and I stay sound enough that we are together well into his 20's and my 70's. Oh yes, I have also gone to the dark side and started riding western.
    LOL-in my barn we call the H/J the DARK side..hehe

We have a man in our barn who is still riding at 82 and was still SHOWING last year - so I say find Missy Mare a new home and get thee a new horse!
    Last edited by IndysMom; Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added comment
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    When you find her that perfect home and see her doing what she enjoys I am guessing you will be smiling about it.
    When I see how happy she is jumping, it DOES make me smile. That will surely help when the time comes to let her go!

I'm 57 and recently sold a mare that just wasn't going to be the show horse that I wanted her to be and had a seriously bad attitude to boot. Life is too short! Bitchy mare has a new home with someone who loves her and I have the semi - big time show horse I wanted, a gelding BTW, and am having a ball. Can't wait for show season!

Thank you all again for your inspiring stories! Since I am the oldest boarder at my barn, maybe I have gotten a bit insecure about my age. And then having my trainer say that my mare needs a gutsy teenager , which I agree with, but still made me wish I were still that rider (not the teenage part, but the gutsy part).

Your stories about finally finding the right horse for you (and what a joy that is) have really helped to give me the impetus to find that horse for myself. I turn 58 in May...maybe my gift to myself will be that horse (or probably pony...Welsh/POA cross.

I've seen a ton of ads for very nice horses retired from eventing/jumping backgrounds that are sound for lower level dressage and light trail riding. Most young riders wouldn't be interested, so they're hard to move. Poke around on the internet a little and I'm sure you'll find a new partner in no time. Good luck!

It seems like more and more of us "over-50's" are looking at smaller horses. I too rode the 16-17 handers in my teens, was out of riding for 30+ years, and re-entered riding on a 14'2 standardbred. Even when I was a teen, my favourite horse at the barn where I worked was a 14'2 morgan-cross that everyone else thought was "too small" Broke my heart when they dispersed the school horses and sold her.

I'm currently riding the 14'2 standardbred and a pair of >15h arabians, and will be buying my first "very own" horse/pony in a in 4 years at the ripe old age of 55. I totally know what I want, a 6-8 yr old 14'1 - 14'2 Arab/Connemara cross with hopes to get into LD riding.

You've got years and years of riding ahead of you. If a pony/small horse makes you happy, make it happen!

This is such a neat thread...I'm going to be 56, and have been considering starting eventing . My mare is going to be 13 and my gelding 9 - and I just realized recently I'll need another horse is a few years to ride when I am in my 80's. I want to pick up a weanling in a year or two, so I can start it and have one totally trained the way I want (I love both of my current horses, and ideally would love a blend of the two). I thought of breeding my mare, but don't want to risk losing her, and there will be plenty of babies to chose from when I am ready.

I'm only 48 but after returning to riding after thirty years, I quickly learned that riding hunters was not for me. I have a great little quarter horse but riding was not fun like I remembered it to be. My daughter outgrew the pony we were leasing for her and he became the perfect mount for her which left me horseless. I have a little 14 hand Paso Fino that fell into my lap and I've been having a blast with him. It worked out perfectly for me in that the QH is still with us and has a job and I get to enjoy the fun side of horse shows as a horse show mom. I see absolutely nothing wrong with figuring out that you and the horse aren't matched and rehoming her. Horses are too expensive not too enjoy them.
    She who cares the least wins.....