The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Krill Oil for horses?

Ok so I am having to put my mare on a joint supplement and when looking at all the different options the idea of krill oil popped into my head. My moms a doctor and she works with dietary supplements and I know it is something that she recommends often to people. So completely looking past cost is this something that you would think would 1. be helpful to a horse and 2. horse edible? Im not actaully planning on using this but I just wondered if it would maybe be just as beneficial to horses as it is humans?

The benefits of krill oil in humans is largely anecdotal and advertisement-driven, rather than scientifically proven.

Omega-3 fatty acids may have some modest benefits, but probably not to the degree that is claimed, particularly for things like inflammation and arthritis. The only reason I use Omega-3 supplements for my patients is to lower triglycerides (good evidence that this actually works, and quite well) and that is not a problem that horses typically have.

Helpful? Unknown. Edible? Probably. Palatable? Doubtful. Worth the money? Almost certainly not--there are much less pricey sources of Omega-3s out there, including grass, from which horses can manufacture their own.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Assuming you are hoping for the benefit of Omega 3 you need to realize no ideal amount of Omega 3 nor an ideal Omega 6 to 3 ratio has been determined.

My vote would be to add a more horse friendly ingredient such as flax and hope for some benefit. Surely is not going to hurt and maybe you shall even get a lovely, glowing coat out of it. Then I would be looking at trying Pentosan. Dollar for dollar it helped my old horse more than anything else. Can not say enough about how the old man is back to his old self.

SmartPak's Smart Omega3. At least you get a shiny coat.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    SmartPak's Smart Omega3. At least you get a shiny coat.
    I agree with this. I have my 2 horses on this and Smartpak TLC. Great coats but also no rainrot (they have had blankets on for 2 months) and no weight loss. Love the product, I got rid of rice bran oil and it is cheaper. Everyone at the barn has noticed how great my 20 year old guy is looking, winter is a tough time to look good especially with all of the mud we have.

I didn't realize horses could eat shrimp. or shrimp juice (how does one get oil out of plankton?), or whatever this is. I'd have thought that whole herbivore thing would prevent their getting much good out of it.

1 members found this post helpful.

At a certain level, nutrients are just nutrients. Particularly fats and oils--they are pretty darn simple, biochemically.
    Click here before you buy.