The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Distance From PBI to WEF - Reasonable to Take a Cab?

The title sums it up well ... Wondering how far WEF is from PBI and wondering if it's reasonable to take a cab and what that might cost me?

It's going to be about 15 miles on the meter, takes about 20-25+ minutes depending on your luck with lights, traffic and time of day and how you go.

Taxi might want to round trip charge you as it would be unlikely they can pick up a return fare and it is a little out of their way. It's not that far but kind of the wrong direction for the airport/PB proper and the hotels trade taxis live off of.

Call and ask, and you might be able to reserve one in advance at a pre set rate. Or mabe there is a shared ride/shuttle service available that would beat a straight metered taxi.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Why not google a WPB cab company and call and ask?

I'd do a car service rather than a metered cab. It will be about $50 + tip, in my experience.

We did and it is PRICEY. That particular instance was in 2007 so I may not be remembering everything correctly. It took us 40ish min with traffic and was maybe $50ish? We ended up getting a town car for the same price (which was also kinda cool having your own driver for the weekend!).

Tha Ridge- That's exactly what we ended up doing.

Check the classified at www.Wellington-WEF.com for options. I think I saw a listing for airport runs if you want to check the price there. Maybe you could end up splitting one with somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I'd do a car service rather than a metered cab. It will be about $50 + tip, in my experience.
    ^ What they said. The car/driving services in WPB are nice and only about $50+tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

The only one I know about is Wellington Taxi, 561 333 0181. The kind of place you call before and book. They charge $65 from airport to Wellington. Would be interested if anyone knows of someone who does it for less.

Quote Originally Posted by dogbluehorse View Post
    The only one I know about is Wellington Taxi, 561 333 0181. The kind of place you call before and book. They charge $65 from airport to Wellington. Would be interested if anyone knows of someone who does it for less.
    I wanna say these are the guys I used last time from PBI to WEF... http://www.a1alimo.com/

My daughter used this service two years ago to get from Fort Lauderdale Airport to WEF. I can't remember the cost, but it was not too expensive. www.wellingtontowncar.com/

May be cheaper to rent a car depending on how long your staying. We have rented cars on priceline for 20 bucks a day in the past. But that was a few years ago. Another option is (an I know ifs strange) if your a rider with many rider contacts on Facebook, put out a status and you would be surprised at how many are on your flight. We arrived at westchester airport one Wednesday afternoon to find about 6 other junior riders on the flight from all different barns!

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree with the above posters - I'd book a town car or car service rather than take a cab. Or rent a car.

You may even be able to book them round-trip so that you have a ride already scheduled to take you BACK to the airport when your trip is over. Usually booking RT saves $$$, too.

I've used Fort Lauderdale Limo Service before for work to pick people up from Fort Lauderdale airport and bring them to Boca Raton, and I found their rates to be very reasonable. They also serve PBI and the surrounding areas.

http://www.fortlauderdalelimoservice.com/
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."