The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Lame filly...

So I posted a bit ago about my filly being lame and suspecting stone bruise. Well her foot looks good now. And I understand maybe it is just still bruise and sore, but I took a video of her walking and trotting today. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if you guys see it at the walk at all and watch how she places her foot down and tell me if you think it's in the foot or elsewhere? There's no heat anywhere, even up the shoulder, I picked up her other front and she had no problem weight bearing on it (and it didnt seem to bother her even slightly) and I made Her stand there for quite a while. Then i fed her some bute in a handful of grain and she ate it and proceeded to paw with the hurt leg as usual... Arg!

Here's the video:
    http://youtu.be/cEBowIRll5Q

Not the best I apologize...
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

My only advice is for you to call the vet out.

It could still be from the stone bruise, or it could be an abscess, or it could be something else...

1 members found this post helpful.

Rosebud, it is not that uncommon for foals in your area to fracture coffin bones when the ground is hard in the winter. If handled correctly it will heal, but it sounds like it may be time to get the vet out for hoof testers and perhaps xrays. Jingling that it is minor.

Oh yeah, it's noticeable, even at the walk. Add another vote to calling the vet.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I am not sure why one would not call a vet in this case...

Filly is definitely lame and I agree with those who said to have the vet x-ray ASAP.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Rosebud, it is not that uncommon for foals in your area to fracture coffin bones when the ground is hard in the winter. If handled correctly it will heal, but it sounds like it may be time to get the vet out for hoof testers and perhaps xrays. Jingling that it is minor.
    Thanks guys, message into the vet .... Hopefully this guy is good, it's who my BO uses but as I've been here three months I haven't had time to research yet. His website seems promising compared to others I hVe seen, and he's close. I guess this forces me to make a relationship since I need to do so anyway to get my mares Caslicks removed next month... An have someone I trust for foaling if something were I happen.

I was thinking the fractures cannon bone thing myself but I tend to Jump to worst case scenario hence my asking you guys. The ground had t been that hard, more a mud out then anything but I'm not gonna rule it out. Hopefully it's nothing. This filly is trouble! She got a kick on this same lame when she was 5 months old a week before inspection and had a hematoma.. Wasn't lame an it went away, we tried drainin it but nothing to drain, then a few weeks ago her right hind puffed up. Dear lord. She's too young for this already!!!
    Like Us On Facebook!

Ouch Poor baby. Best of luck with this, and jingles for the filly (and for you.) Please keep us posted on the outcome, fingers crossed that it's something minor.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

My filly looked the same a year ago, also thought fractured coffin bone. Turned out Injured collateral ligament of fetlock. (before X-rays vet flexed her and she about flipped over)

Jennifer

Someone suggested something hurt in the shoulder (muscle, tendon ligament etc) and said her filly did the same thing and barely could pivot on it, tried the test (as I usually pivot her around me - to the left - not to the right... And that was hard for her...
    Like Us On Facebook!

Why not just call the vet and have the vet run all the tests and they can actually figure out the issue instead of guessing?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Why not just call the vet and have the vet run all the tests and they can actually figure out the issue instead of guessing?
    I think rosebud said he/she(?) has a call into the vet and is waiting for a return call?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

As I have. Appt made just waiting now. But I put her on stall rest with hand walking til then as she can't contain her frolicking outside and it's supposed to start raining and it is already muddy out.
    Like Us On Facebook!

Best of luck, Rosebud. It'll be interesting to hear what the vet says.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

If it's been muddy, could be a strain somewhere but the vet should be able to pinpoint something for you...

I'd definitely have some base line X-rays done to rule out certain injuries to the bones. Could just be a deep bruise which takes a while to go away. Not uncommon for horses of any age to get this this time of year when the ground conditions are changing with the weather. This is not uncommon in young horses.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

If I were you, I wouldn't mess around it too much until the vet had a chance to come over. You can do more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    If I were you, I wouldn't mess around it too much until the vet had a chance to come over. You can do more harm than good.

^^^^^^^^

This
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

There is a significant difference in prognosis for a coffin bone fracture, versus a cannon bone fracture!!! The other posters are talking about the coffin joint.

rosebud--any updates??
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

2 members found this post helpful.