The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best house vaccum cleaner "Man enough" for mud and long haired dog junk??

Our current vaccum cleaner - a Hoover bagless is borderline effective for cleaning a whole carpeted house with dirt tracked in from the barn/farm, but especially 5 assorted house dogs. The problem is the "bagless" part!!! Not only is emptying the plastic cup ten times a session, but the MANY filters that clog and block. I'd love to go back to a "neat, easy" bag model with plenty of suction. Any favorites??? DH loves to vac, but hates to fight with the emptying process. Thanks.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I cannot rave about my Dyson enough.

We have a malamute/shepherd mix and a Bernese Mountain Dog who leave behind "fur puppies" wherever they go. And then, of course, I'm never as good as I should be about de-haying and de-dirtifying myself before coming in from feeding and working with the horses. And don't get me started on my 4 and 8 year old (though I'm not delusional enough to think they're any worse than your average kids).

Our Dyson is going on 8 or 9 years now and still works like it's brand new. It's also bagless, and while you do have to dump out the canister, it's super easy to do and it has never lost suction (that's probably what I've been the most surprised by). It also holds a lot. I usually have to dump it out once every other vacuuming session (and that's saying a lot since I don't vacuum nearly as often as I should....so I hate to admit this, but maybe once every 7-10 days). The old Hoover bagless that we have is now down in my tack room and used once or twice a year, when all it does is remind me that I hate it

Add my Dyson to the raving please.
    I've had mine for about 4 years, works like new. It does have filters that I found out not too long ago need to be rinsed off every once in awhile lol. You can actually watch things get pulled towards it when you're running it on the hard floor. Hairballs can't run fast enough, although, so far- the chihuahua can ;-)
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

I've heard the Dyson pet with wheels, not the pivot ball is wonderful. I used a Dyson (someone's from their home) older model here at work, and just about sucked the carpet off the floor, and cleaned up so much dirt and crud that I was amazed. And the poor Dyson hadn't had the dirt canister dumped in years,

If I could afford a Dyson, then it's what I'd get. Being more conservative financially (OK, call me cheap) I bought a Hoover Pet Cyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum, and I really like it. It has a nice feature for bare or hardwood floors, you can totally turn the brush off, so it picks up dirt instead of throwing it at your feet, and won't scratch hardwoods.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Kirbys and Dysons

Default I can't help

I have a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser that I HATE. The cup fills way to fast and is Very messy to empty. I have to wash the cup, fiilters and actual vacuum almost every time I use it. If I could afford a Dyson i would buy one in an instant!

I will add my rave for the Dyson Animal, and just saw a steal of a deal at BestBuy $299! http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/Dea...ref=167&loc=02

Thanks guys!!! We literally empty the cup and pull hair (Gr. Pyr.) out of the thing about 6-7 times when vacc'ing a 24x28 carpeted great room. Another 2-3 times in the kitchen, 1-2 times in the BR. Really!! And of course, unless you take the Vac out on the porch to do this you make another mess on the carpet. Idiot people who put carpet in EVERY room in a "farm" house should have been shot...but that's what we have to deal with. I'll check those Vacc's out.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

We have 12 "non-shedding" dogs in the house, but still need to vacuum about every day. Fortunately, we don't have carpet.

Miele.

I'll throw another vote in for the older model Dyson Animal. It makes a BIG difference, especially for my allergies. It is really nice being able to empty the canister and just continue on. And as someone said, it has incredible suction! I use the attachments to suck up dirt et al on our hardwood floors as well as our tiled kitchen and bathrooms.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Dyson. Dyson Dyson Dyson. Have had: Hoovers, Bissells, various and sundry other pet specific suckers and they didn't suck. There are sales at least twice a year. I got mine last year for $249 in a Home Depot sale. Worth every.single.penny it's wool carpet, hair shooting bull terrier, barn kitties, food crushing/smushing one year old new self feeder and barn boot leavings self sucks up. I swear the air in the house feels cleaner after running that thing. And they last forever, so I hear. Mine'll be put to the test for that.

Miele!

I use my shop vac in the house. It'll lift the carpet off the floor! It's cumbersome, but I can suck up ANYTHING, dog bone fragments, paper clips, bobby pins, glass, screws, socks... anything. Since I only vaccuum on the weekends, I use the shopvac first, and then do a detailing with a run of the mill. And usually i can do the whole house with the little vaccuum and still not get a full cup.

My BF had a dyson animal that got clogged the first time out and then I put a hole in the hose trying to dislodge the hairball. (granted, he was about 2 months behind on his vaccuming, it was a serious undertaking for any vaccuum).

I almost wish I had carpet instead of so much hardwood... Sigh. It seems like no matter how many times I sweep, I can never get all the hair and hardwood floors mean more work: sweep, sweep, mop (swiffer), pick up wet clumps of hair you missed while sweeping...

I want a Dyson though, I hear nothing but good from pet-and-carpet-owning friends. The dogs aren't allowed in the two rooms with carpet, but we're selling and who knows what we're going to rent??
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

we have a bissell pet model but the wheels scratch the hardwood floors in our new house. I thought dysons cost $500. Do the wheels scratch the floors? If not, and if it can be had for $300, I should consider it.

Oh, I'm with fatappy --> SHOPVAC!

Yes, it's ugly. And loud. But it pulls german shepherd furballs out from underneath the couch!

Granted we have hardwood so I'm not sure how well it would work for carpet. Best of luck to you OP - sounds like you're going to have to shell out the coin for Dyson.

My Dyson died and we bought a Shark Lift Away Pro for $189. This thing totally kicks the Dyson's butt! Super light and insanely effective. I love the floor tool with the vacuum in front and the dusting cloth behind too.

One word: Miele
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Another Shark lift away fan LOVE IT. The free steam mop was an added bonus. I have had Kirby's, Rainbow's and sears canister. 3 dogs 2 cats a slobs of a husband living on a farm requires a hood vaccum

I'd like to mention one to avoid - the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser. I had one and it was a total lemon. For the price it should have lasted a lot longer.

ETA: I felt like I should specify my issue with this model a little more - I have a Norwegian Forest Cat and run the vacuum often. It worked ok for a bit but way too soon after getting it the thing quit sucking up his hair. I would have to go around and pick up little balls of his fur the vacuum left behind.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05