The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hay storage and insurance

well, believe it or not, I'll be talking again to contractors this week....as we now need to hire a new one to complete the left items the previous criminal didn't finish. sigh.

Anyway. When doing so, I am going to also let them know if their work is good, that there are yet to come expenses and building we'll be planning on.

Manure management and hay storage are going to be very important on this small property. So....I'm wondering: for those who have built separate hay storage 'apart' from barn, is it important to have ONLY hay/shavings stored there because of insurance? or....would truck/trailer sharing the area be ok in most instances? I want to plan coverage for both---will consider combined and/or separate, space available/planning available but did wonder about insurance?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I'd think not - a vehicle is full of fuel and often sufficiently hot to ignite loose hay etc. Trailer, maybe. What does your insurance agent say? They're the ones that matter
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I mentioned to our insurance agent the price of hay and maybe insuring it and the answer, as it has been always, was it was not worth it, the premiums are way too high on insuring hay.

Now, insuring the structure where you store the hay, that you have to ask your agent, as each company goes by their own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I mentioned to our insurance agent the price of hay and maybe insuring it and the answer, as it has been always, was it was not worth it, the premiums are way too high on insuring hay.
    I had the same problem. I had actually asked the insurance agent if all of my horse supplies, including feed and hay, were covered. He said yes.

Then Ike came along less than a week after I bought several months worth of hay. I filed the claim and listed the hay. The hay was denied because it wasn't included. Sadly, I didn't have in writing where he said it was covered, and he claims he meant that tack and equipment would be covered. So we discussed cost of insuring hay for future issues, and it was just too expensive to make it worth while.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Interesting! I had never even THOUGHT of insurance coverage on the hay itself, but I guess that can certainly be a concern if one stores a lot of it! No, my inquiry was directed at those who have hay storage structures....if they found/learned that they needed to keep such a structure separate for insurance reasons...(as many say: don't store your hay in your barn because of that) .....so, when I plan one...should I also plan a second building for trailer/truck parking or did you find your insurance was ok for a single separate building for both? (yes, I know I will have to check with our insurance specifically....but this helps me understand what you all have encountered...I can also shop insurances as well based on feedback, so either way, it helps! ) thanks!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Your best bet is to ask...some will and some won't. AFAIK, those that will require a firewall seperating hay storage from vehicle storage. Same as between house and attached garage. They may require a minimum size for the vehicle area to ensure there's adequate air circulation between tractor and walls for it to cool after using.

I'd have loved to have a solid garage for tractors and implements *and* a hay storage building. Unfortunately for me it's not an insurance thing as much as a town issue. Town requires a solid foundation on any building over 10x10 feet. That pretty much doubles the cost. Or I could put up a buttload of 10x10 buildings, LOL! One for each tractor, a few for implements and a bunch for hay.

Instead we put up 20x22x9 ShelterLogic. Tractor storage only, I pick up hay every other week. But my hay guy is less than 10 minutes away.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I wonder if an umbrella policy would cover hay? I have one and have no idea... probably ought to ask (although I can only store a couple hundred square bales....it certainly wouldn't be a big loss in comparison to other things...)

I don't have electricity run to our small barn (2 stalls, tack room, large storage) so I store my hay in our large storage area. I can fit about 125 square bales and that's all I need for one season with 2 ponies and round bales. I didn't ask whether having hay in there would void the insurance policy on my barn.... not sure about storing the hay/vehicle together, that seems a little risky.

I will tell you, if you need a temporary fix for composting until your contractor builds one, we put together a compost bin with two compartments out of pallets that I got for free at the co-op. We reinforced them with t-posts and it's working wonderfully. We probably won't even go for a more permanent solution. If you want to see some pictures just PM me. I pick our 3 acre pasture every other day so we have quite a bit of manure - the local landscape companies love to come haul it away.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Local to my area, we just had an ENTIRE large old dairy barn and historic farm house burn to the ground because a skid-steer was parked in the hay area, malfunctioned, and caught the hay afire.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-902781

The pictures will give you goosebumps.

Please don't park them together, whether your insurance company accepts this arrangement or not.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."