The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OEM Vests on eBay- how do they compare to Tipperary?

Wanting/needing a new vest and would love to save some money if the OEMs on eBay are any good- does anyone have one? how does it compare to the Tipperary vests?

TIA!
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

I bought 2 of them- one for me, and one for my kid who lessons on my horses. My trainer thought it was a Tipp. I've fallen in it a couple times- no harm to it or me. Do plan on it taking a while to arrive- even though they say they are in TX both of mine ended up shipping from china. It took about 2 weeks. The seller is really nice and easy to work with. they had mine custom sized for me (i'm short) for free to make up for the shipping delay.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

I'm not sure I would pay $108 for an uncertified vest when you can pay a little more ($160) and get one that is both ASTM and BETA approved.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/intec%c...st/p/X1-40548/

I have the predecessor to that vest, bought on clearance at Dover for $65. It is ASTM, CE, and BETA approved. Not quite as comfy as a Tipp or Tipp clone, but I've worn it for 45 min at a time during jumping lessons and XC schooling without undue hardship.

[QUOTE=caballero;6773168]I'm not sure I would pay $108 for an uncertified vest when you can pay a little more ($160) and get one that is both ASTM and BETA approved.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/intec%c...st/p/X1-40548/

Ya, I just don't see the point in wasting money on an uncertified vest.

Uncertified vests are not required and there is some conflict on the proper construction of vests for protection any how. The intec crusader vest is very different in construction as well. Vest construction preference seems to be a very individual thing.

I looked at the OEM vests, I think they are made off the same machines as the Tipperarys? However, I ended up getting a used Tipperary in my size and color off of Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Uncertified vests are not required
    You probably meant to say that certified vests are not required. And that is true. I, however, cannot understand why that is.

and there is some conflict on the proper construction of vests for protection any how.
    There is? As long as a vest meets the standards of two of the three major testing organizations, the debate is mostly academic.

The intec crusader vest is very different in construction as well.
    It's very different to a Tipp, that's for sure. Not all that different, conceptually, to most every other approved vest.

Vest construction preference seems to be a very individual thing.
    That is true. Some favor performance tested against a standard over maximum comfort, others prefer it the other way around.

Yes, I meant that the other way around.

I don't think it's fair to say that some people chose comfort over protection.

I believe the conflict is with the requirement that the vest be composed of solid pieces for puncture prevention, I think that some people question the need of having a puncture proof vest.

Further, I think that if you do want an "approved" vest there are plenty of options that might be more or less comfortable to different riders. I don't think an approved vest needs to be uncomfortable!

Being an engineer, I am concerned with the relatively small area of each individual panel in Tipperary style vests. The fact that such panels are so small would lead me to believe that the force of impact cannot be spread over as large an area as you would in a vest (such as mine) where the panels are very large and very few in numbers.

Lack of puncture resistance in segmented vests is the last thing on my mind. Those kinds of injuries have to be quite insignificant in proportion compared to the blunt trauma that happens every time we hit the ground (or a solid object on the way to the ground).

As an aside, I do not even notice my vest once I am concentrating on what I need to do in the saddle.

BeverlyAStrauss is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Sorry I have been away from this forum- thanks for the input, I didnt realize the OEMs were not certified- so I think I'll pass and save up for a new Tipp.....
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Tipperary is also not certified unless you buy the ones with the solid pieces.